Generic Virus Thread

villakram

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

It’s ironic really that a seriously significant virus that wipes out, say 30-40% of the worlds population is the only thing that can probably save the species and planet from mass extinction, go figure.

Ah noo! So Thanos was the good guy!

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

It’s ironic really that a seriously significant virus that wipes out, say 30-40% of the worlds population is the only thing that can probably save the species and planet from mass extinction, go figure.

a mass extinction as the only way to prevent mass extinction? 

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I don't think it's the ONLY thing but mankind seems pretty intent on self destruction in order to make a few quid and/or earn a bit of territory and/or show the other religion that yours was better.

We're a pretty hateful species.  Especially Man United fans.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rolta said:

Ah noo! So Thanos was the good guy!

Well that was always the intrigue with Thanos as a bad guy, technically speaking he was the good guy really, didn’t do it all for power or wealth, did it all for an unwavering belief that he was being cruel to be kind.

4 hours ago, sidcow said:

I don't think it's the ONLY thing but mankind seems pretty intent on self destruction in order to make a few quid and/or earn a bit of territory and/or show the other religion that yours was better.

We're a pretty hateful species.  Especially Man United fans.

I’m struggling to see a long term future for any of us if we keep reproducing on top of the current numbers.

At the very least, we need some kind of a limit for newborns over the next few decades, not that it’ll ever happen because it’s peoples ‘rights’ to have 1,2 or 15+ children.

2 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I’m struggling to see a long term future for any of us if we keep reproducing on top of the current numbers.

At the very least, we need some kind of a limit for newborns over the next few decades, not that it’ll ever happen because it’s peoples ‘rights’ to have 1,2 or 15+ children.

I think the predictions are that the population is going go start declining quite soon. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Genie said:

I think the predictions are that the population is going go start declining quite soon. 

‘Developed’ countries are already declining in birth rates, only immigration from ‘developing’ countries keeps them propped up with new youth. 

As more and more of the world reaches ‘developed’ status we will have very few countries producing enough children to replace current numbers and the global population will start to decline.

It’s supposedly in the next hundred years or so and that lack of youthful support to society will probably bring all sorts of new issues 😅

1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

I'd describe 3 billion people dying as a mass extinction ;)

Then you need to look up the definition of extinction :D

Mass extinction is a stoopid phrase, the mass is totally superfluous

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, LondonLax said:

‘Developed’ countries are already declining in birth rates, only immigration from ‘developing’ countries keeps them propped up with new youth. 

As more and more of the world reaches ‘developed’ status we will have very few countries producing enough children to replace current numbers and the global population will start to decline.

It’s supposedly in the next hundred years or so and that lack of youthful support to society will probably bring all sorts of new issues 😅

There are even some less developed countries with brth rates below 2 per family now. I think Thailand's for example is lower than the UKs

5 hours ago, Mic09 said:

a mass extinction as the only way to prevent mass extinction? 

'Experts' have said the ideal population for Earth, for people to live to a good standard, is 1.5 - 2 billion. 

We've just hit 8 billion and heading towards 10 billion in the next 20-25 years, which is crazy. 

We need a more moderate Logan's Run scenario. 

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

There are even some less developed countries with brth rates below 2 per family now. I think Thailand's for example is lower than the UKs

The rapid increase in the World's population currently is driven only by a handful of countries. 

• Like 1

Â