Generic Virus Thread

villakram

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Great idea from *my* Secretary of State for Education

One of those things that sounds amusing, but there are 963,000 FTE teachers in the UK, and fewer than 4,500 OFSTED inspectors, so even if they were all qualified to teach, which many of them wouldn't be, it wouldn't make a dent.

Vaccine protection and infection

Vaccines can stop most people from getting sick with COVID-19, but not everyone.

Even after someone takes all of the recommended doses and waits a few weeks for immunity to build up, there is still a chance that they can get infected. Vaccines do not provide full (100%) protection, so ‘breakthrough infections’ – where people get the virus, despite having been fully vaccinated – will occur. 

If vaccinated people do get sick, they are likely to have milder symptoms, in general 'It is very rare for someone vaccinated to experience severe illness or die.

Vaccine protection and transmission

COVID-19 vaccines are crucial tools in the pandemic response and protect against severe disease and death. Vaccines provide at least some protection from infection and transmission, but not as much as the protection they provide against serious illness and death. More evidence is needed to determine exactly how well they stop infection and transmission.

After being vaccinated, individuals should continue taking simple precautions, such as physical distancing, wearing a mask, keeping rooms well ventilated, avoiding crowds, cleaning hands, and coughing into a bent elbow or tissue. Get tested if you are sick, even if you’ve been vaccinated. Check local advice where you live and work. Do it all!

WHO

While COVID-19 vaccines are working well, some people who are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 will still get sick, because no vaccines are 100% effective. These are called vaccine breakthrough cases. However, data suggest that vaccination may make symptoms less severe in people who are vaccinated but still get COVID-19. mRNA COVID-19 vaccines have been shown to provide protection against severe illness and hospitalization among people of all ages eligible to receive them. This includes people 65 years and older who are at higher risk of severe outcomes from COVID-19.

CDC

Anyone who gets COVID-19 can become seriously ill or have long-term effects (long COVID). The COVID-19 vaccines are the best way to protect yourself and others.

Research has shown the vaccines help:

• reduce your risk of getting seriously ill or dying from COVID-19
  • reduce your risk of catching or spreading COVID-19
  • protect against COVID-19 variants

The 1st dose should give you some protection from 3 or 4 weeks after you've had it. But you need 2 doses for stronger and longer-lasting protection.

There is a chance you might still get or spread COVID-19 even if you have a vaccine, so it's important to follow advice about how to avoid catching and spreading COVID-19.

NHS

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, bickster said:

Confirms what I had understood. Thanks.

They don't guarantee a person will not become infected, but the probability is good (and much better than if unvaccinated). They also reduce the impacts if you do still get infected/"catch Covid", with a high level of probability, though the impact wanes over time and Omicron requires the booster to give a decent level of protection.

They're excellent.

4 hours ago, sidcow said:

Those high percentages have always stated as against SERIOUS disease, at least in all reports I've seen.  But people latch on to it and say all my mates have been jabbed but still got it so it proves the jabs are rubbish. At the same time saying they don't know anyone who's got seriously ill so the disease can't be that bad 🤔

I've seen reports that vaccines help prevent transmission but never seen stats so I assume they are quite low.  I think the message is put out that it stops transmission because even if it only stops eg 2% of transmissions that still equates to a hell of a lot of real world infections, but if you said 2% a load of throbbers would jump on it saying it proves vaccines are rubbish. 

The vaccine either works or it doesn't (in terms of quoted percentages)

IE if you exposed 100 vaccinated people to covid and only 30 people got covid then the vaccine would have an efficacy rate of 70%.

70-80% is a very good score for a first run vaccine. However it's perfectly plausible within those figures for loads of vaccinated people to get covid.

• Like 1

Yeah yeah OK OK. 

I always got the impression the high percentages were protection against serious (hospital/death) illness but it was a much lower for preventing infection full stop. 

Look at me the pro vaccine throbber spreading disinformation about vaccines 🤔

Edited by sidcow
  • Haha 3

Infections have been soaring for well over a week now but that still isn't being reflected in hospital numbers across the UK. 7801 people in hospital in UK with covid as of yesterday which is up just 1% on the week before. To put that 7801 in perspective the peak for second wave was over 39k. 

It seems where the worry is coming from is that in London 1904 people are in hospital with covid which is up 41% on the week before. I assume the concern is that may soon be replicated across the country with perhaps even worse to come everywhere. 

I guess the other concern is that while people may not need to be hospitalised if this variant continues to spread like wild fire we will have a lot of people isolating including a lot of essential workers.  

Edited by markavfc40

47 minutes ago, Xela said:

I feel like i'll be the odd one out, but i've never even had a Covid test. 

Nope, so far so good, never had it, never had a test, never been pinged.

There, I’ve said it. I’ll probably be dead by Christmas.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I guess the other concern is that while people may not need need to be hospitalised if this variant continues to spread like wild fire we will have a lot of people isolating including a lot of essential workers.  

That's already happening. Loads of businesses and essential services really struggling already. 

Just look at the numbers on here who have declared they or someone close has tested positive compared to previous weeks/months. 

It's an avalanche. There are talks about reducing the isolation period to 7 days but I can't see them doing that. 

My sister in law is in her early twenties and lives in London and was telling me today literally half her close friends have got covid in the last week.

All are double vaccinated and none of them have had any symptoms at all - I hope a large portion of the rising infections are people in a similar position.

1 minute ago, Panto_Villan said:

My sister in law is in her early twenties and lives in London and was telling me today literally half her close friends have got covid in the last week.

All are double vaccinated and none of them have had any symptoms at all - I hope a large portion of the rising infections are people in a similar position.

Double vaccination is bordering on no vaccination by all accounts with Omicron which is what they've all most likely got down there. 

Need the booster to do any good. 

Â