Generic Virus Thread

villakram

46 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

I'd go completely the other way. Presumably it's a desperate attempt to sacrifice the comparatively fallow economic November to save a bit of the December Christmas economy. 

Some pubs and restaurants make half of their annual income in the few weeks leading up to Christmas (what other time of year is every restaurant fully booked all evening, every day of the week), to say nothing of the general Christmas shopping impact on town and city centres. 

The mood music from all the politicians and experts this morn appears to be - don't fixate on the 2nd Dec as an end date - Gove even said it could be extended. And with the world beating test and trace and the outstanding app we have, I'd say January could be a bit optimistic. This lot, in charge, always, always make things worse. 

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

The mood music from all the politicians and experts this morn appears to be - don't fixate on the 2nd Dec as an end date - Gove even said it could be extended. And with the world beating test and trace and the outstanding app we have, I'd say January could be a bit optimistic. This lot, in charge, always, always make things worse. 

I was thinking how long it will take to start to see a positive impact of the lockdown. 4 weeks doesn’t seem to be long enough to me. We may start to see a flattening or small reduction in 4 weeks but not enough of drop to come out of lockdown.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jones1328 said:

panic buying paint and decking?!

Probably.

The big problem for tradesmen last time was that they had jobs they could do but couldn’t get materials to do them. As factories are not closing this time and the shops staying open I don’t expect the same problem to occur, still people are people.

When they were debating and putting the 3 tier system in place why didn’t they have the 4th tier in the plan. 
Then not only would it have been lurking in the back of the room as a potential warning if people didn’t behave it could have been turned on straight away if required and avoided the last days of Rome we’re going to have between now and Thursday.

An extract from a letter to students from my nipper’s Uni

Thank you so much for your contribution. 

I am sure you will be delighted to know that, to date, thanks to all the excellent preparation, organisation, cleaning and exemplary conduct of students and staff there is no evidence of any transmission whatsoever at the University campus over this entire period. There has been no case cluster – nor has there been any ‘outbreak’ in the University’s Halls of Residence or in student accommodation in the wider community.

They were dreading being closed down for a month, having recorded no problems over the last two months, but due to pressure to blame Uni’s and students as a part of the blame culture so many people appear to need. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

They were dreading being closed down for a month, having recorded no problems over the last two months, but due to pressure to blame Uni’s and students as a part of the blame culture so many people appear to need. 

None at all? That’s pretty incredible.

Nottingham had over 1,500 across 2 universities iirc and Liverpool several hundred. It’s seems like it’s not a one size fits all blame / praise.

In both Liverpool and Nottingham the university students also thought it was a good idea to party in the streets ahead of lockdowns so there must have a high percentage of words removed going to them.

3 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Extremely bad to be suggesting that cases of transmission can be avoided by 'exemplary conduct of students and staff' IMHO. It's a virus, not the **** Punisher.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

Just got back from the Supermarket. 

The toilet roll hoarders are at the absolute top of their game. 

Luckily I picked up a 24 pack from an Iceland Food Warehouse the other day. No, I never knew Iceland sold bum paper either. They also sell beer, chocolates and toasters! 

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

Luckily I picked up a 24 pack from an Iceland Food Warehouse the other day. No, I never knew Iceland sold bum paper either. They also sell beer, chocolates and toasters! 

I would imagine Iceland Toilet paper is an emergency post vindaloo product? 

10 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I would imagine Iceland Toilet paper is an emergency post vindaloo product? 

Its not frozen! 

I've not used it yet so can't comment on its effect on a post vindaloo/phaal/reaper incident but will endeavour to report back when appropriate. 

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

Its not frozen! 

I've not used it yet so can't comment on its effect on a post vindaloo/phaal/reaper incident but will endeavour to report back when appropriate. 

im-looking-forward-lkbw2y.jpg

• Haha 1

Â