Generic Virus Thread

villakram

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

The same people might yet be calling the same phone ins in a few weeks or months to tearfully decry the government for not protecting them better.

...fingers crossed.

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

The same people might yet be calling the same phone ins in a few weeks or months to tearfully decry the government for not protecting them better.

but not to admit they were wrong to dismiss the people who studied and trained for years in their respective fields because they know better.

31 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

So many people calling radio phone ins to say this is "overblown" and that it's no worse than the common flu. It's almost like they've been told not to believe experts......

They have been - maybe not over this - but as I posted earlier there has been a culture over the past few years not to believe experts - but believe Trump, Farage,  Johnson and that anything that stops you doing as you please is "Really a load of old blithering hogwash"  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, hippo said:

They have been - maybe not over this - but as I posted earlier there has been a culture over the past few years not to believe experts - but believe Trump, Farage,  Johnson and that anything that stops you doing as you please is "Really a load of old blithering hogwash"  

Gove started it

WHO got a fair bit of flak back in 2009 for over exaggerating the dangers of the H1N1 (swine-flu).

It's a pretty hopeless situation for them because whatever they do it will get criticized.

Don't do enough and people will die. And unless "enough" people die some blockheads will say they were scaremongering.

I'm firmly in the better safe than sorry camp when it comes to them and think it's good they are taking precautions.

You just have to use common sense to not go overboard and start looting your corner shop or whack your neighbor over the head with a bat if he coughs in the stairway.

Edited by sne

11 minutes ago, Awol said:

@bickster

You’re back on...

All that hand kissing (and whatnot) can't be good.

Good news thou as we already got a new Papa two days ago in Mexico

Bildresultat för papa emeritus iv

Edited by sne
Typo
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, desensitized43 said:

but not to admit they were wrong to dismiss the people who studied and trained for years in their respective fields because they know better.

No indeed. That's the Dunning-Kruger effect for you. 

The 1968-69 Hong Kong flu epidemic killed 33,000 people in the UK. I'm old enough to remember it, but don't remember anywhere near this level of panic. Then again, we had no internet or social media. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

The 1968-69 Hong Kong flu epidemic killed 33,000 people in the UK. I'm old enough to remember it, but don't remember anywhere near this level of panic. Then again, we had no internet or social media. 

Probably wasn't as much international travel and stuff like that either.

Apparently can get pretty bad even if you are a normal 25 y.o. And his cat died...

What it's REALLY like to catch coronavirus: First British victim, 25, describes how 'worst disease he ever had' left him sweating, shivering, and struggling to breathe as his eyes burned and bones ached

• Connor Reed, 25, an expat teacher from North Wales, lives and works in Wuhan
  • In November, he became the first British man to catch the deadly coronavirus

Connor Reed, a 25-year-old expat from Llandudno in North Wales, has worked in a school in Wuhan, China, for almost a year. In November he became the first British man to catch the coronavirus. From coughs and aches to burning up and spending the night in hospital, here’s how he beat the illness that is sweeping the globe.

Day 1 — Monday November 25: I have a cold. I’m sneezing and my eyes are a bit bleary. It isn’t bad enough to keep me off work. I arrived in this country to teach English as a foreign language — but now I’m a manager at a school in Wuhan, the city in central China where I have lived for the past seven months.

I speak Mandarin well, and the job is interesting. My cold shouldn’t be very contagious, so I have no qualms about going to work. And I live alone, so I’m not likely to give it to anyone. There hasn’t been anything in the news here about viruses. I have no cause for concern. It’s just a sniffle.

Day 11: Suddenly, I’m feeling better, physically at least. The flu has lifted. But the poor kitten has died. I don’t know whether it had what I’ve got, or whether cats can even get human flu. I feel miserable.

Day 22: I was hoping to be back at work today but no such luck. The pneumonia has gone — but now I ache as if I’ve been run over by a steamroller. My sinuses are agony, and my eardrums feel ready to pop. I know I shouldn’t but I’m massaging my inner ear with cotton buds, trying to take the pain away.

Day 24: Hallelujah! I think I’m better. Who knew flu could be as horrible as that, though?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8075633/First-British-victim-25-describes-coronavirus.html

20 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Also as discussed earlier in the thread, the strain in Wuhan has/had the chance to be far more potent

Why is that - because it is closer to the source ?  - Yet the numbers in ital look pretty bad ?

9 minutes ago, hippo said:

Why is that - because it is closer to the source ?  - Yet the numbers in ital look pretty bad ?

That's because they don't eat meat.

Â