Recruitment

TRO

I gave mine, in the context of giving my thoughts on why I disagreed with yours. That is literally what a debate is.

Your view on the word debate is:

23 minutes ago, TRO said:

Telling someone their opinions are rubbish, is not debate, presenting a counter opinion is.

Whilst in the same thread, literally calling somebody's views 'rubbish'.

This isn't just me right? I'm not going mental here?

• Like 4

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

😂

So you could say, you had a debate?

Stefan....I am going to the match shortly.

I don't think we have ever agreed on much....its been funny, but shall we just put a halt to it now.

Its clear to me we are wired different and that's not derogatory or an opinion.....I think its a fact.

UTV

Just now, TRO said:

Its clear to me we are wired different and that's not derogatory or an opinion.....I think its a fact.

Quite.

One of us knows what the concept of debate entails, and the other, not so much.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I gave mine, in the context of giving my thoughts on why I disagreed with yours. That is literally what a debate is.

Your view on the word debate is:

Whilst in the same thread, literally calling somebody's views 'rubbish'.

This isn't just me right? I'm not going mental here?

well ,if I did, I was wrong and Apologise for that aberration.

you clearly have more patience than me, to trawl through all  my posts looking for angle to prove your point.

I'm off to watch the match now.....can you excuse me to visit some more interesting stuff, before,I leave.

5 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Quite.

One of us knows what the concept of debate entails, and the other, not so much.

and we both know who that is, right?....there's a dictionary on line, if that helps. you.🤣

ps I can see why you have more posts than me 😛

Edited by TRO

4 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

@TRO I am not really sure what you and some other fans expected mate. I know you have said on numerous occasions you thought we would struggle this season and that avoiding relegation would be success. Therefore I'd imagine the basis of you thinking that we would struggle is that our performances wouldn't be good enough to get results to stay clear of the relegation zone. Now 23 games in recruitment is being questioned because a squad that we expected to struggle is shock horror struggling. A squad containing a lot of players with ability, promise and potential but lacking experience at this level is struggling to adapt and is inconsistent. For me though it was expected and was the reason why many of us felt we would struggle.

I don't really see what option the club had though in the summer. We got promoted at the end of May and had 2 months to bring in a dozen players. Quantity and proven quality was never on our menu. We had to go for players who had shown they have got ability and potential to improve due to the amount of players we needed. I am sure Smith would have loved the club to have been in a position to bring in the dozen players we needed and for them all to have been of proven quality and shown they can perform consistently at this level. That would have cost us 2 or 3 times what we spent though or would have needed some of the greatest scouting ever at one club in one window.

As I have said before in other threads I do have some sympathy for the argument that we haven't improved as the season has gone on. I think there are two contributing factors to that though. Firstly us not getting the results our performances arguably deserved earlier in the season has meant the pressure has mounted and when that happens even doing the basics can become an issue. Secondly over the last two months we have had injuries to key players with Mings, Grealish, McGinn, Heaton, Wesley all missing games.

I think before questioning the recruitment I would give it a little longer than 5 months and factor that we knew we would struggle this season and that we have to accept that having signed so many new players it was going to take time for those individuals to adapt to new players, coaching staff, league and in many cases country and that as a team it was going to take time to gel and become consistent.

If we stay up this season that will have been a successful season and whilst that is still a very real possibility lets not write off those players signed in the summer who could well lead us to that success.

Fine, Mark....thanks for your take on it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

Am I the only one who thinks the board and management team's expectations were a little more than to 'just stay up' this season?
Perhaps I am!

Purslow did an interview saying as such. Ambition was very high, possible European qualification was a stated ambitious aim for this season.

8 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Am I the only one who thinks the board and management team's expectations were a little more than to 'just stay up' this season?
Perhaps I am!

I think they thought survival was probable IMO.

I think Purslow will ask questions in the summer. All hinges on if Smith says the players are good enough.

Purslow is the only guy in his position at the club I fully believe in right now. Him and Jack Grealish.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Â