Recruitment

TRO

I am just glad we haven't blown our brains out on a player like joelinton, and still got a poor return.....Baston is clearly a no risk.

It seems Dean is happy with his squad for the run in......just needed back up.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I have to say, a tad envious of Sheff Utd signing Sander Berge.

are we really unable to sign players like that?

For £25m in January yes.

Summer did us. We spent spent badly in some areas and overspent in others.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 05/02/2020 at 18:42, Tomaszk said:

For £25m in January yes.

Summer did us. We spent spent badly in some areas and overspent in others.

I have just done a brief study of our transfer record over the last 20 years.

Its quite enlightening and eye opening.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Care to share some high(low)lights

I am not going to go in to detail and create a duck shoot......and as you can glean, from 20 odd years it is not a blame game because too many different folk were involved over that period.

my general conclusion over that time is the club was not very good at it.

Its still early under the current owners to say for sure, if they are getting it right, I will reserve my judgement on that.....but as you can guess, i hope they do.

Its one of those things where, you have to do it for yourself, as its just an opinion....but we have fiddled around with so many poor players, it is really eye opening.....there is a site where you can study it for yourself.

11 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Care to elaborate?

Not being rude but no....because i have my own opinion and thats all it is.

I don't want it to become something else, and that can be very easy to do....but there is a site where you can study it for yourself and form you own overall opinion....happy to let you know if you want.

Edited by TRO

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I am not going to go in to detail and create a duck shoot......and as you can glean, from 20 odd years it is not a blame game because too many different folk were involved over that period.

my general conclusion over that time is the club was not very good at it.

Its still early under the current owners to say for sure, if they are getting it right, I will reserve my judgement on that.....but as you can guess, i hope they do.

Its one of those things where, you have to do it for yourself, as its just an opinion....but we have fiddled around with so many poor players, it is really eye opening.....there is a site where you can study it for yourself.

Fair enough, you only have to look where we ended up three seasons ago to know the club was not very good at it.

It is very early under our current ownership and the signs are generally positive. Even if the signings this season don't keep us up,  there is no way we would lose money if we sold them all now (even factoring in Wesley who would go for a loss now, but may still come good).

The investment into the training ground, the statements that go alongside their actions,  all fill me with long term hope, which was non existent when it looked like we were going bankrupt. But I had a similar positive view at the start of Lerner's era, and that didn't end well. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MrBlack said:

Fair enough, you only have to look where we ended up three seasons ago to know the club was not very good at it.

It is very early under our current ownership and the signs are generally positive. Even if the signings this season don't keep us up,  there is no way we would lose money if we sold them all now (even factoring in Wesley who would go for a loss now, but may still come good).

The investment into the training ground, the statements that go alongside their actions,  all fill me with long term hope, which was non existent when it looked like we were going bankrupt. But I had a similar positive view at the start of Lerner's era, and that didn't end well. 

Precisely,  I think these owners do strike me as genuine, but I said that about the last 2 too.... but i do see a distinction between Wes & nassef and the last 2.

Have a trawl through the archives of our transfer dealings its very interesting.

Edited by TRO

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

Precisely,  I think these owners do strike me as genuine, but I said that about the last 2.... but i do see a distinction between Wes & nassef and the last 2.

Have a trawl through the archives of our transfer dealings its very interesting.

Wow , there is a high percentage of misses in that arrivals list. Some for much more than I recall. And substantially more every year in the arrivals than the departures (Benteke departure aside). Not overly pleasant reading.

Only got back as far as 2010, but I can't imagine it gets much prettier before then.

Fingers crossed this year's arrivals don't have us feeling the same way in two years time. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, TRO said:

Not being rude but no....because i have my own opinion and thats all it is.

I don't want it to become something else, and that can be very easy to do....but there is a site where you can study it for yourself and form you own overall opinion....happy to let you know if you want.

If you mean transfermarkt, yeah I have also looked at our transfers over the last 10-15 years etc.

Interesting reading, regardless of how anyone views it.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, MrBlack said:

Wow , there is a high percentage of misses in that arrivals list. Some for much more than I recall. And substantially more every year in the arrivals than the departures (Benteke departure aside). Not overly pleasant reading.

Only got back as far as 2010, but I can't imagine it gets much prettier before then.

Fingers crossed this year's arrivals don't have us feeling the same way in two years time. 

I think its easy to forget, just how many misses we have had, but history and records don't lie.

I can think back to a time, when nearly every new recruit got gradually better, almost game to game it was  noticeable and these were not expensive signings....it was no surprise we went on to make history.

I hope moving forward, we see players come in who can make a marked difference as opposed to marginal difference.

we will see.

Edited by TRO

6 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

If you mean transfermarkt, yeah I have also looked at our transfers over the last 10-15 years etc.

Interesting reading, regardless of how anyone views it.

Yeah.

I am not sure of the accuracy of it, but it sure gives a general overtone.

Its quite eye opening, isn't it?

On 31/01/2020 at 21:49, TRO said:

It ticks a box with no risk.

The ball is in Baston's court. Depends where he is as a footballer. Does he see this as a new contract and more comfortable than being on the move or does he see how big a club we are and have a real go at doing well here? 

I personally feel that he could be a secret weapon. We've not scored a headed goal this season until Samatta netted last week. Maybe Baston will give us the aerial threat we've badly lacked this season. 

4 hours ago, TRO said:

I can think back to a time, when nearly every new recruit got gradually better, almost game to game it was  noticeable and these were not expensive signings....it was no surprise we went on the make history

Last season, right? :)

I think that the recruitment policy should be judged at the end of the season. If we get 17th then job done, anything more is a bonus. We spent an awful lot of money in the Summer, we had to in order to compete at Premier League level. The new owners have backed Smith to the hills and credit to them. I think in the main, we are a young and evolving team with a vibrant manager, good times are ahead I think 

Â