The Royal Family

Genie

I’m just up the local leisure centre working out. There’s a thing on for the coronation in the gym  called “ One extra for Charles “ where they are encouraging people to do an extra set, rep or even add one extra weight etc etc.  It’s quite popular so it seems. A lot of effort going into it, and a lot of sweat also .

3 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I think if you want to feel proud of your country of origin, wherever that may be then fine, whatever. I would politely remain quiet speaking to someone wearing an outfit in the design of another country’s flag as I would someone wearing a union flag suit. My private thought would likely be I’d find them both somewhat daft, but I wouldn’t ridicule them as such.

I neither feel proud or ashamed. I don’t take a personal pride in the various British-centric achievements. They weren’t my doing.

Nor do I feel personally ashamed about various British-involved atrocities. They weren’t my doing either.

I also think that that people who are patriotic think people who are unpatriotic hate their country. No, not really. Just don’t love everything about it unconditionally. I’m pleased that I live here than a lot of other countries if that makes some happy to hear. I think it could have done better over history and I think it could do better now.

While I’m not patriotic, I find it a little bit sad that here it’s reasonably well entwined with the adulation of an embarrassingly wealthy family that you’re also meant to revere. If patriotism was geared more towards Jenner, Wilberforce, Wollstonecraft and their ilk rather than the usual Churchill, Nelson, The Royal Family…it might be more of an interest. 

But I’m not totally daft, I know people typically get more passionate (and defensive) about Kings, Queens and people involved in wars rather than medical pioneers and writers about women’s rights.

I think you may actually be me. Agreed on every single point. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have just walked the dog and probably walked past a couple of hundred houses and there couldn't have been more than 8 with bunting/flags up. With the crap weather forecast for tomorrow I can't see that many more will now bother. 

I'm not anti putting up a bit of bunting etc. For VE day during lock down in 2020 (75 year anniversary) I was happy to get involved with probably 75% of the neighbourhood in making a bit of an effort. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I'm not anti putting up a bit of bunting etc. For VE day during lock down in 2020 (75 year anniversary) I was happy to get involved with probably 75% of the neighbourhood in making a bit of an effort.

There was loads round here on the VE anniversary. But I had to point out on the local FB group how disgraceful it was that they'd all put up British, American and French flags, and not a single Soviet one. 

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I’m not particularly patriotic myself. In all the doom and gloom though, let them fly their flags it is Britain after all isn’t it? 

I am, i pine for the days of the Empire and sticking it up Fritz and war with France 🇫🇷 

2 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Wow. He is really going to be an extra special King because of that.

Mass psychosis seems to be taking over England again, just like after the death of "Elizabeth the Second German" & Princess "media whore" Diana. 

The UK has far more serious economic and social issues it should be addressing right now rather than this farce. But the media and establishment are intent on shoving down the throats of the British populace, an antiquated, archaic ritual in the form of a national celebration.

Please revolt.

And then we'd just be left with our politicians

And the £6bn refurb of their offices

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dale said:

Head of Republic campaign group arrested for bringing some placards to Leicester Square. Insane. 

Now that is borderline fascism. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Wow. He is really going to be an extra special King because of that.

Mass psychosis seems to be taking over England again, just like after the death of "Elizabeth the Second German" & Princess "media whore" Diana. 

The UK has far more serious economic and social issues it should be addressing right now rather than this farce. But the media and establishment are intent on shoving down the throats of the British populace, an antiquated, archaic ritual in the form of a national celebration.

Please revolt.

I managed an extra set of tricep pull-downs. An older guy set a personal best on the rowing machine to a standing ovation in which he replied “For Our King” .  Quite bizarre but the free cupcakes at the reception desk made it worthwhile I suppose. 

Edited by Rugeley Villa
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, bickster said:

Gym Rats for the Monarchy is such a bizarre subset of society :D 

Well bred down these parts Bicks. The most bizarre thing I’ve heard off a mate of mine is that even the drug dealers are jumping on it. Coronation deals for everyone. Charlie specialz .

Edited by Rugeley Villa
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Well bred down these parts Bicks. The most bizarre thing I’ve heard off a mate of mine is that even the drug dealers are jumping on it. Coronation deals for everyone.

3 for 2 special on roofies, The Randy Andy deal of the day

Free H to get you through the day sane

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Dale said:

Head of Republic campaign group arrested for bringing some placards to Leicester Square. Insane. 

Verboten: forbidden by the authorities

spacer.png

They've shown again and again that our perceived freedoms of expression and assembly are conditional on not inconveniencing the chief inbred

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

They've shown again and again that our perceived freedoms of expression and assembly are conditional on not inconveniencing the chief inbred

Bonfire of red tape = suppressing basic rights

1 hour ago, Dale said:

My best mate is married to Graham Smith's (CEO of Republic) ex-boyfriend.

Had a surreal two week holiday in Australia and China for their wedding 15 years ago with me, my now wife, my mate's 80 year old father, Graham, and the new husbands. 

Nice guy, odd honeymoon. 

1 hour ago, Dale said:

What was in those placards though? Explosives maybe?  you can never be too sure.

Edited by Rugeley Villa
  • Haha 2

Â