The Royal Family

Genie

1 minute ago, markavfc40 said:

I am not forcing them on people though am I. I am just presenting my opinions on here which is a forum for discussion. I haven't mentioned it at work, I haven't mentioned it to friends or family when I have been out, I haven't spoke to my neighbours about it when I have bumped into them. At work I have had a couple of people give opinions I am opposed to but I have tolerated.

This whole site wouldn't last long would it if we didn't enter into discussions/give opinions.

OK, well what you meant is clearer now. I'm not saying you shouldn't give your opinions, just that it seemed a bit odd to claim you've been keeping your opinions to yourself while also repeatedly claiming the funeral was a waste of money.

• Like 1

I’ve been out of the country so not followed  the whole funeral very  closely. This thread has been entertaining though, so I’ll thank you all for that. I get that people want to mourn her, and that’s fine. But I do find the whole competitive grieving behaviour really **** weird. Not many people really knew her, yet so many claim to know her inner thoughts, motives and aspirations. Just seems like so many are desperate to capitalise on the event for their own kudos. 

I also deeply resent being told how I should feel by the BBC and the rest of the media, I am not ‘profoundly upset’ at the news. But I can empathise for her family, same as I can for Ethel Longbottom’s family. 

The constant wall-to-wall coverage has been ridiculous. I haven’t watched it fair enough, so it hasn’t affected me. The only thing that really affected me directly was my first train from Bristol to Birmingham was cancelled on Sunday morning, after a 5 hour wait in the cold I ended up on a Megabus from a rough end of town. At least I wasn’t someone who had their surgery cancelled, and at least I wasn’t attending my mothers funeral, so there is that too. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jareth said:

I think this country will need to rethink what it is - brand GB has had the queen front and centre forever. Can't say we'll just swap in Charles, he has lived an entirely different life to Liz. 

Ermm, isn't that what happens. We've had 40 odd monarchs since William The Conqueror. We just swap in the next one. Some of them lived Medieval lives, some lived Victorian lives.  We definitely can say we'll just swap in Charles, in fact i think I can absolutely guarantee we will. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

I also deeply resent being told how I should feel by the BBC and the rest of the media, 

I saw a bit on ITV where they were by the Albert Hall and the presenter said something along the lines of thousands of people here to say Thank You to the Queen for her service …

he might be right , but I’d imagine based on the people I went with and around me that people were mainly there to witness the event , Thank you never came into it once amongst our group 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, imavillan said:

The relationship to the post and the funeral of undoubtedly a fine, fine woman, who represented this country to the best and in a most dignified way.

I could put pictures up of any old shit that's happening in this country or indeed the world. What does that prove?

Every country in the world has the have's and have nots.

It's a cheap shot.

I watched the funeral, even as a republican. I don't agree with the role of Queen or King, but while it exists all I can ask is that whoever has the job title does a good job, and Elizabeth II did exactly that.

The shot is not at Elizabeth II, but at the notion that Ledbury High Street is "her real England". You can't have one without the other. She either reigned over all of it or none of it.

Of course the royal family aren't to blame for homelessness, or indeed the countless other societal issues we're currently facing. They're at the hands of those who would make up His Majesty's Government.

In the grand scheme of things, the cost/value conversation of the monarchy is fairly pointless. The notion of what else the money could be spent on is pointless. The argument about tourism value is pointless.

But the passing of the Queen shouldn't give us a rose-tinted view of what this country is like.  She worked incredibly hard on behalf of this nation.  As a nation, in the truest sense of the word, there's still a lot of hard work to be done.

For me, if Queen Elizabeth II has left a legacy it's a reminder that we have a duty to each other in order to make Britain truly Great.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I watched the funeral, even as a republican. I don't agree with the role of Queen or King, but while it exists all I can ask is that whoever has the job title does a good job, and Elizabeth II did exactly that.

The shot is not at Elizabeth II, but at the notion that Ledbury High Street is "her real England". You can't have one without the other. She either reigned over all of it or none of it.

Of course the royal family aren't to blame for homelessness, or indeed the countless other societal issues we're currently facing. They're at the hands of those who would make up His Majesty's Government.

In the grand scheme of things, the cost/value conversation of the monarchy is fairly pointless. The notion of what else the money could be spent on is pointless. The argument about tourism value is pointless.

But the passing of the Queen shouldn't give us a rose-tinted view of what this country is like.  She worked incredibly hard on behalf of this nation.  As a nation, in the truest sense of the word, there's still a lot of hard work to be done.

For me, if Queen Elizabeth II has left a legacy it's a reminder that we have a duty to each other in order to make Britain truly Great.

good reposte, but maybe some words to back up the picture would have helped me....

3 hours ago, phily85 said:

Was cutting the grass earlier had a bit of an argument with an overly aggressive neighbour, who marched over to tell me how disrespectful I was being doing it today, after everything she did for us.

Couldnt help myself I've heard this stated quite a lot so I asked him to name 2 things she has done for us. He soon walked off.

Just finish this by saying I have no problem with any of it you want to spend the day mourning or playing with yourself its up to you but we dont live in north korea

Then why take a day off that was meant to mourn her passing and go to work yourself. That’s the reason you got the day off so if you don’t agree with it why not go to work. Simples 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Then why take a day off that was meant to mourn her passing and go to work yourself. That’s the reason you got the day off so if you don’t agree with it why not go to work. Simples 

Because work was closed for many of us. I voluntered to go in and was told no.

So yes, I had an enforced holiday for no good reason, one that has come out of my holiday allowance

EDIT: and for once, I agree with the government, they didn't want to make it a public holiday by all accounts but Buckingham Palace came to an agreement (for waht we don't know) to make it  a PH

5 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Not sure that’s how Bank Holidays work

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

Because work was closed for many of us. I voluntered to go in and was told no.

So yes, I had an enforced holiday for no good reason, one that has come out of my holiday allowance

so, you had an enforced holiday...

and your employer is taking an extra bank holiday out of your normal holiday allowance...

sounds to me like you've got a dictatorial shite employer

maybe it's time for a change...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, imavillan said:

so, you had an enforced holiday...

and your employer is taking an extra bank holiday out of your normal holiday allowance...

sounds to me like you've got a dictatorial shite employer

maybe it's time for a change...

Sounds like you have no understanding of my situation, my contract, my industry or employment law.

A flitting close to a remarkable day 

God save our gracious King!
Long live our noble King!
God save the King!
Send him victorious,
Happy and glorious,
Long to reign over us,
God save the King.

Thy choicest gifts in store
On him be pleased to pour,
Long may he reign.
May he defend our laws,