Pre-Match thread (Cup Final 18 of 38)

Tomaszk

Seasons starts here.

We play the only three teams below us in a row. How nice would three wins in a row be?

Southampton are not a good side, I think Norwich and Watford are both better. One point would be disappointing, none unthinkable.

If Hourihane isn't fit, I'd move McGinn to the left hand side so he can combine with Grealish a bit, I think they're missing each other.

Kodjia, Trezeguet, El Ghazi...one of these men must start the game up front.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Seasons starts here.

We play the only three teams below us in a row. How nice would three wins in a row be?

Southampton are not a good side, I think Norwich and Watford are both better. One point would be disappointing, none unthinkable.

If Hourihane isn't fit, I'd move McGinn to the left hand side so he can combine with Grealish a bit, I think they're missing each other.

Kodjia, Trezeguet, El Ghazi...one of these men must start the game up front.

Agreed. You could probably add a few more names to that list!

The most 'must win' of our 'must win' games to date this season. We simply must win. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

Agreed. You could probably add a few more names to that list!

The most 'must win' of our 'must win' games to date this season. We simply must win. 

Just read Wes is still penalty taker remarkably.

I feel sick at the thought of him missing one in this game. Crowd will go for him, won't be pretty.

Edited by Tomaszk

Our biggest game since play off final.

Losing is unthinkable, we'd be 3 points off 17th which you wouldn't believe would be possible on the night we beat Newcastle.

My gut feeling is we'll draw this 1-1 and beat Norwich. Hopefully that will be enough in the long run.

Southampton aren't really that bad away. It's at home where so many results slip through the fingers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Our biggest game since play off final.

Losing is unthinkable, we'd be 3 points off 17th which you wouldn't believe would be possible on the night we beat Newcastle.

My gut feeling is we'll draw this 1-1 and beat Norwich. Hopefully that will be enough in the long run.

Southampton aren't really that bad away. It's at home where so many results slip through the fingers.

Jesus Christ

5+ needed from these 3.  9 is absolutely achievable. 

I really hope SJM's niggle is sorted, otherwise I'd give him another week off - better 2 games at full power than 3 more marginal performances.  I would give Codger a start and bring Wes on for the final 30.

Heaton

Guilbert  Engels  Konsa  Targett

Luiz

McGinn    Hourihane

El Ghazi     Wesley      Grealish

I think that side should be good enough to beat Southampton. For me Konsa looks to be better at playing the ball out from the back than Hause, it's something we missed last game without Mings. Luiz looked good last night, he carries the ball into the midfield and links the play which helps retain possession at times. McGinn in only if he is fully fit, if he needs an injection then he should sit out another game.

If it's not working we have the option to move Grealish into the middle and bring Trezeguet on out wide. I think for this one Grealish will cause them a lot of problems in a free role but one of McGinn, Hourihane or Grealish need to try and get closer to Wesley to help him out.

If Wesley isn't doing it by the 60 minute mark then we should be giving Kodjia a half hour run out rather than a last 5 minute go.

• Like 1

Biggest game of the season so far.  A loss would be disastrous to our survival hopes and confidence would be shot going two further important games.  However, I think we’ll win this and gain some confidence for the festive period.  

Not sure how true the McGinn injury is, but he’s clearly been below standard for weeks and needs a breather. Do we need Nakamba’s defensive qualities here? I’m not so sure and think we should take the game to Southampton. 

Finally, I just cannot see how we can leave Kodjia out for this one?  Whether we credit him with 2 or 3 goals last night, if he doesn’t gain a spot now, then what motivation should he or others have to perform and earn a spot? He deserves a start at least.

Heaton

Guilbert  Engels  Hause  Targett

Luiz

Lansbury    Hourihane

El Ghazi     Kodjia      Grealish

Subs: Nyland, Konsa, Taylor, Nakamba, McGinn, Trez, Wesley

Edit - damn, I forgot about Jota and he should make the 18 really. Happy for someone to go from the above!

Edited by ferguson1

8 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

I’m happy to give Kodjia a chance on Saturday, however I’d like to see Wesley come off the bench for at least 20 mins to see if he can make an impact as sub. 

Totally agree with you here, it may even fire Wesley up coming off the bench for a game or two.