Ratings & Reactions: Sheff Utd v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/12/19 at 23:59

42 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

I agree they are good  which their position proves. That is solely down to Wilder. If our summer business was Mousset, Fleck, Baldock and McBurnie you'd be underehelmed.

I hate saying it, but the blame is starting to pile up at Dean's door.

I don’t disagree that the pressure is mounting and we all know that the football business isn’t known for its patience and calm reaction. I do think though that he’ll be afforded some more time. That said, I’d hope that we do have a plan regarding a successor as we should always have. If we were top of the league we should have a plan as whoever the manager is they could step under a bus tomorrow. 

3 hours ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Whilst I agree to a point, that was in the championship. Having improved contracts always seem to have a negative effect on things, I have no idea why but it always seems that way. They are only human so maybe they think they have done enough so take foot off the gas. Smith has never struck me as that type.. One thing is for sure though,  our current owners want to be successful so they won't stand by and watch things go to pot. He is safe this season as goal is to stay up but if we get relegated then it might be a different story.

I don't think they will wait that long to find out....its too hard to get out of the championship.

17 hours ago, roonst83 said:

No desire. No fight. No plan and absolutely no confidence. I was always worried about this game but we were completely useless. I struggle to remember a half of football where we passed the ball so poorly than the first half. Everyone’s touch was off and we just sat back and panicked every time we had the ball. Back four did well first half but it was only ever going to be the same onslaught by Sheff Utd in the second half. But we fell apart, and as soon as they scored (again so soon after the re-start) it felt like it was game over.

Whole team lacked any belief whatsoever and we had the appearance of a team already beaten and crestfallen. Not good enough. McGinn was invisible again and seriously needs to get better. I wonder if Grealish being left out wide is contributing to McGinn’s poor performances. If you don’t win the midfield then you very rarely ever win the games. And we’re not winning any midfield battles right now. Grealish seems to play much better, as does Targett, when Conor is on the field as that allows Conor to cover the left side whilst jack interchanges with him and can then roam more freely. 

Thought ElGhazi does what he does every other game and just disappear. We simply don’t have anywhere near of a threat from our attacking three and that hampers us massively. Wesley was isolated today for sure but offers so so little off the ball, I’m just fed up with hearing how the odd flick on or lay off is supposed to be enough to defend him. He isn’t offering enough. He wasn’t the worst out there today but we’re all used to him contributing so little his benchmark for success is so low. 

Poor games for everyone out there today and I’m not sure what’s happened to Nakampa. The games keep passing him by. Our passing was terrible, particularly in the first half. Lansbury was very poor and completely invisible. Surprised as he’s looked bright in the short spells he’s had. I’d rather play an u23 striker than Kodjia. He offers zero. Always. 

I think our players are still defeated by that Leicester game, Smith even alluded to it in the pre-match presser. We had zero confidence today and were outfought and out-thought all over the park. Sheff Utd resembled a team that are a firmly established Premier League team. I continue to be impressed by them.  

Next games over xmas are crucial. We have an inability to stop leaking so many chances and goals, we struggle to ever come from behind to win (have done it only once in 49 games I think) and the pressure is mounting. Smith and his team needs to work very hard to pick this Villa team up. These next games, ahead of a crucial transfer window, will determine how we are shaping up for survival. 

Not saying you are wrong, we seemed busted in that game.

Do you mean the same Leiceter team that dismantled us last week and when posters on here queried that performance and result ......a number of other posters derided their criticism as unreasonable and mean....totally in denial.

This same Leicester team that only secured  a draw with Norwich today.......yes the same team we beat 1-5 and yes the same Norwich team that come up with us.

Its funny how Leicester are so far advanced than us, but are humbled by Norwich.....

There are so many excuses on here for our performances its a joke.....this form has been coming.

Edited by TRO

11 strangers on the pitch.

Over the last 2 games, we look like we've run a marathon before we start - there's no energy or fight. We look completely devoid of confidence.

I could count on my fingers the times we strung more than 2 passes together.

I lost count of the amount of times the simple option was too hard (a simple pass, pulling the ball out of the sky, looking before playing).

We look like we are playing Subbuteo - the only person that moves is the one that has the ball.

And for Pete's sake - please stop lumping the ball up to Wes. He is NOT a target man! His only shot was also the only time somebody played the ball to his feet in the box. Funny how that works.

MOTM to Kodjia. Not because he deserves it, but to show it wouldn't matter which forward you put on the pitch with that performance - they were going to be ineffective.

So, how does Dean fix this? It's not that hard:

- Put Grealish in midfield. (Leave Lansbury out of the squad altogether!)

- Put Jota on the pitch to help link midfield to attack and help with delivery into the box. (Trez/El Ghazi to compete for the other spot)

At least then you are setting yourself up to play the attacking football that you want and into Wes' feet. Hoofball is never going to work with this squad.

7 hours ago, Raver50032 said:

The high horse riders can besmirch over reactions all they like this evening, but you can't hide behind anything else other than this side is currently heading down again. We have zero momentum, seemingly zero confidence and the only thing going in our favour is that we play in nice colours.

When was the last actual 'good' performance? Too many players looking either like they are going through the motions or just simply not good enough. Crucial 4 games coming up in the league. If things do not improve in that time, I'm sorry, but our goose will be cooked.

Not trying to jump on the bandwagon....but this has been on the horizon for some time.

I have highlighted our shortfalls, even when we have won....we have moments in a game where we play well and score on the whole.....those moments are slipping away.

We don't do enough craft work to compete in a game, to secure results.....too many basic things not happening.....this is not tactical genius territory, this is old fashioned fight and desire and willingness to deny the opposition anything, if you can't create it yourself.

We have been too benevolent in everything we do for too long now.....and the worrying part is , its been allowed to happen unchecked.

These are serious signs guys......I've seen it all before.

This wankfest over unconditional attacking football and giving small quarter to defensive qualities will be our undoing......We all like attractive attacking football...but you have to WIN the right to play it first.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, roonst83 said:

No desire. No fight. No plan and absolutely no confidence. I was always worried about this game but we were completely useless. I struggle to remember a half of football where we passed the ball so poorly than the first half. Everyone’s touch was off and we just sat back and panicked every time we had the ball. Back four did well first half but it was only ever going to be the same onslaught by Sheff Utd in the second half. But we fell apart, and as soon as they scored (again so soon after the re-start) it felt like it was game over.

Whole team lacked any belief whatsoever and we had the appearance of a team already beaten and crestfallen. Not good enough. McGinn was invisible again and seriously needs to get better. I wonder if Grealish being left out wide is contributing to McGinn’s poor performances. If you don’t win the midfield then you very rarely ever win the games. And we’re not winning any midfield battles right now. Grealish seems to play much better, as does Targett, when Conor is on the field as that allows Conor to cover the left side whilst jack interchanges with him and can then roam more freely. 

Thought ElGhazi does what he does every other game and just disappear. We simply don’t have anywhere near of a threat from our attacking three and that hampers us massively. Wesley was isolated today for sure but offers so so little off the ball, I’m just fed up with hearing how the odd flick on or lay off is supposed to be enough to defend him. He isn’t offering enough. He wasn’t the worst out there today but we’re all used to him contributing so little his benchmark for success is so low. 

Poor games for everyone out there today and I’m not sure what’s happened to Nakampa. The games keep passing him by. Our passing was terrible, particularly in the first half. Lansbury was very poor and completely invisible. Surprised as he’s looked bright in the short spells he’s had. I’d rather play an u23 striker than Kodjia. He offers zero. Always. 

I think our players are still defeated by that Leicester game, Smith even alluded to it in the pre-match presser. We had zero confidence today and were outfought and out-thought all over the park. Sheff Utd resembled a team that are a firmly established Premier League team. I continue to be impressed by them.  

Next games over xmas are crucial. We have an inability to stop leaking so many chances and goals, we struggle to ever come from behind to win (have done it only once in 49 games I think) and the pressure is mounting. Smith and his team needs to work very hard to pick this Villa team up. These next games, ahead of a crucial transfer window, will determine how we are shaping up for survival. 

If you have no fight or desire.....the plan fails and the confidence ebbs away.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

11 strangers on the pitch.

Over the last 2 games, we look like we've run a marathon before we start - there's no energy or fight. We look completely devoid of confidence.

I could count on my fingers the times we strung more than 2 passes together.

I lost count of the amount of times the simple option was too hard (a simple pass, pulling the ball out of the sky, looking before playing).

We look like we are playing Subbuteo - the only person that moves is the one that has the ball.

And for Pete's sake - please stop lumping the ball up to Wes. He is NOT a target man! His only shot was also the only time somebody played the ball to his feet in the box. Funny how that works.

MOTM to Kodjia. Not because he deserves it, but to show it wouldn't matter which forward you put on the pitch with that performance - they were going to be ineffective.

So, how does Dean fix this? It's not that hard:

- Put Grealish in midfield. (Leave Lansbury out of the squad altogether!)

- Put Jota on the pitch to help link midfield to attack and help with delivery into the box. (Trez/El Ghazi to compete for the other spot)

At least then you are setting yourself up to play the attacking football that you want and into Wes' feet. Hoofball is never going to work with this squad.

Its been like that for some time......we need to be honest with ourselves.

Someone mentioned above 11 strangers on the pitch.

From the game we played in feb against Sheffield united only 2 of our players featured in that match whereas 8 of their players did.

I think we need to be more understanding about the job Smith has had to do.I am not aware of any team in the top flight that has had to do such a transformation.We are in a unique situation.

I think smiths plan today was to keep it tight and play for a draw.We are low in confidence and not playing well ...it happens.

There are some extreme reactions on here.We need to keep calm( and carry on )(we go again) etc

We have lost 7 of last 9 and are still not in the bottom 3 ,that gives me hope.These next 4 fixtures are going to define our season let’s think positive.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Yep, Sheffield are made up of players that have played the majority of their careers in League 1 or the Championship and are 5th. We've spent a lot of money on players that are supposed to be good enough for this level and will most likely be 18th later today. This tells me our manager just doesn't know how to get the best out of them.

Tells me that they have a settled team who know each other’s strengths and weaknesses, whilst we have a side who have barely played half a season together working under a manager who got us promoted when he had no right to do so, winning a club record number of league games in a row in order to make it possible.

But we all read things differently, I guess!

5 hours ago, TRO said:

as Ian Wright said......Villa were too static, no movement.

That''s lack of work rate...not good enough.

I only saw first half and a few minutes of the second half but I noticed that too. We had a throw early in the second down their end and Targett took an age to take it as no one wanted it. Is that a confidence thing? Or just a lack of desire? Hard to say really.

16 hours ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Whilst I agree to a point, that was in the championship. Having improved contracts always seem to have a negative effect on things, I have no idea why but it always seems that way. They are only human so maybe they think they have done enough so take foot off the gas. Smith has never struck me as that type.. One thing is for sure though,  our current owners want to be successful so they won't stand by and watch things go to pot. He is safe this season as goal is to stay up but if we get relegated then it might be a different story.

Ironically I think he may be safe if we got relegated rather than just stayed up. If we slump and look like going down in Feb, then I think he will go at that point. 

If we go down on the last day by a fine margin then they may feel that he can be the man to bring us back up. If however we just stay up and the board think that perhaps we should have done better and he’s reached his ceiling then again I think Dean could go. 

Whatever happens I believe the board will review the situation with an open mind in the summer and make a decision fairly quickly one way or the other. 

3 hours ago, chips'ngravy said:

I only saw first half and a few minutes of the second half but I noticed that too. We had a throw early in the second down their end and Targett took an age to take it as no one wanted it. Is that a confidence thing? Or just a lack of desire? Hard to say really.

Grealish and Wes show , the others hide. Nkamba hides whenever we have the ball, his positional sense is terrible, or hes hiding because he's scared. We never win the second ball Wes wins the first ball  it it goes to the opposition. Grealish works his socks off closing down while others disappear. 

We need to re group , as Norwich did when we dismantled them at home. Hourihane should start and Douglas and maybe Trez. McQuin néeds resting , saw him fade last season and he had a couple of games out and came back stronger. Play Grealish there and let Hourihane pressure the opposition's back 4 . 

. We need reinforcements, a forward is a must . Wes gets injured and we are stuffed.

Smiths demeanor changed in his pre match interview, he looked downbeat. This is a real test of our metal, seen the look before and it didn't end well but we have a chance to pull this around , we need to rebuild the confidence we had and make ourselves harder to beat .UTV

• Like 3

Second season in a row I’ve sat in the home end and watch Sheffield United give us a schooling. Woeful performance yesterday. I knew Grealish was going to miss the pen as soon as he knelt down picking grass out of his boots for ages, then that weird run up!

Need a big win over Liverpool in the week to try and rebuild some confidence. 

13 hours ago, TRO said:

Not saying you are wrong, we seemed busted in that game.

Do you mean the same Leiceter team that dismantled us last week and when posters on here queried that performance and result ......a number of other posters derided their criticism as unreasonable and mean....totally in denial.

This same Leicester team secured just an away draw at Norwich today.......yes the same team we beat 1-5 and yes the same Norwich team that come up with us.

Its funny how Leicester are so far advanced than us, but are humbled at Norwich.....

There are so many excuses on here for our performances its a joke.....this form has been coming.

My point about Leicester was it was the first game we were well and truly beaten in front of our home supporters and this will have, undeniably, dented confidence in the team. And, as I mentioned in my post, Smith alluded to this in the pre-match press conference. I believe our confidence was shot from that game and yesterday was a hang over from it which will have contributed to the poor result. That’s all I meant.

But I do also agree this form has been coming and in previous posts I’ve cited how our Achilles heel has been the fact we, unlike those around us, can’t seem to be able to pick up points against the top teams.

Â