Ratings & Reactions: Sheff Utd v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/12/19 at 23:59

Losing our TENTH game of the season is bad enough, but we didn't even have a shot on target today. I think we have to wait until the next three or four games and see where we are, but if Smith doesn't get this team playing and getting some wins in that time you'd have to assume the board would be considering a change of manager if we could bring in someone like Benitez.

I hate to say it because I greatly appreciate what DS has done for this club, but we're going backwards and after the large investment we made in the summer we can't afford to go down this season. 

• Like 2

Shocking performance today, cant belive we conceded straight after half time yet again. We are still not getting the basics right and our passing is like something from the lower leagues. Even the games we have won we had given plenty of chances for the opposition to score with sloppy 5 Yard passes. Next 3 league games are massive, need at least 6 points imo and hope some results go in our favour. Still optimistic we can stay up but past few weeks been unacceptable. 

6 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

First half we did alright but it was obvious sheffild utd would come out 100mph 2nd half after a rollocking and they did.

Pen miss was crucial. heads dropped noticibly after that. It's then smiths job to get his hands oiut of his pockets and become a cheerleader. didn't happen. 

Our big chances came at -0-1 wesley and grealish hit and hopes.

surely its thanks for the memories deano?      If the boards arn't tapping up benitez or poch right now we are in turbulent waters!

I'm unsure why fans don't take your posts seriously. You are right here, the showing at Sheffield today, was proof to me we have not progressed one single bit. We looked much better when we played them in the championship.

Everyone was also desperate for that win last season, this season they are top half of the table and we cannot expect any better.

I tell you something now, if we get relegated I and plenty of other fans will be pissed off with Smith, we have the best resources out of all the Promoted teams, but maybe it's now showing not the best manager. Someone tell me Wilder wouldn't get this team performing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

They're a good team, but that performance was an absolute embarrassment, and nobody comes out of it with any credit. The defence was good in the first half, but in absolute disarray in the second, the midfield was absolutely atrocious. I don't know what Smith was even trying to get them to do. We spent huge periods just penned in our our half twatting it anywhere just to get rid of it. That's just not good enough.

I'm no Wesley fan but he didn't have a chance today.

The next few weeks are absolutely critical.

Southampton
Norwich
Watford
Burnley

4 games that'll give us a much better idea of where we stand. A minimum of 8 points from that, or I think the writing is on the wall.

I think I already know.....I have seen enough to give me a sound impression.

I think we started off a bit shaky and rallied a little, but the warning signs was always in our play for me.......The tough run of fixtures have undoubtedly undone us.

We will now see if Dean Smith has it in him to reverse this trend ans instil some confidence in them.

However, If he can't, given how hard it is to get in to this league, I think it is fanciful to think the board will just run with it and let him try and get us up next season.

No one wants to see a manager go.....but equally no one wants to see a team lose every week and more importantly show the same or similar failings in their play.

Edited by TRO

Just now, pacbuddies said:

They won't sack him now, the stupid b@stards just gave him a contract extension so it will cost them a fortune to get rid of him. Such a dumb move to give him an extension when he's proved nothing!

One of the stupidest things we've done all season. No surprise that since he got that new contract we've been pants. Resting on his laurels is all I can say. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

it will cost them a fortune to get rid of him. Such a dumb move to give him an extension when he's proved nothing!

The new contract will have a clause in saying only 12 months compo if in the bottom 3 or 5 consecutive defeats.

He signed it so maybe he thinks the pressure is too great.

Poor showing. Deflated. Maybe when we drop into the bottom 3 later tonight it will give the players the sense of urgency we need to get a few results in the next few weeks. Smith needs to stop persisting with players/tactics that dont work. Failed badly today and even when we had the lifeline of the spot kick, the one man you can normally rely on hits the bar like he did in the summer.

2 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Losing our TENTH game of the season is bad enough, but we didn't even have a shot on target today. I think we have to wait until the next three or four games and see where we are, but if Smith doesn't get this team playing and getting some wins in that time you'd have to assume the board would be considering a change of manager if we could bring in someone like Benitez.

I hate to say it because I greatly appreciate what DS has done for this club, but we're going backwards and after the large investment we made in the summer we can't afford to go down this season. 

That is bad enough.....but it would have given us a surviving result of 0-0

When are we all going to wake up and see where our problem really is.....we can't defend.

Wesley is just a part of the problem, he should be holding the ball up ( which is defending)  he or no one else can do that.....its a team problem, they can't defend.

• Like 2

The decision to give Smith a new four-year contract when we were only lingering just above the relegation zone seems a premature one in hindsight - don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I'd be considering a change in manager at this stage, but when we keep falling off in the second half of games, it's difficult to see us finishing outside the bottom three unless Smith changes things up (which he seems reluctant to do).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

One of the stupidest things we've done all season. No surprise that since he got that new contract we've been pants. Resting on his laurels is all I can say. 

Only in football are owners so thick. For me if he kept us up and had a solid plan for the following season then fine, talk about a contract extension but he failed to buy a proven striker in the summer and spunked over £130million on bang average players and has set us up for a massive struggle. Sheffield United spent a sixth of what we spent yet they are flying. That tells you all about the difference in quality between the two managers.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I'm unsure why fans don't take your posts seriously. You are right here, the showing at Sheffield today, was proof to me we have not progressed one single bit. We looked much better when we played them in the championship.

Everyone was also desperate for that win last season, this season they are top half of the table and we cannot expect any better.

I tell you something now, if we get relegated I and plenty of other fans will be pissed off with Smith, we have the best resources out of all the Promoted teams, but maybe it's now showing not the best manager. Someone tell me Wilder wouldn't get this team performing.

I'm a big fan of DS but the reversal from our much more fluid passing style smack to me of manager desperate not to lose - Steve Bruce anyone? I don't think Wilder is mini me of Klopp but boy does he organise his side. Something DS did do but he has retreated into his shell. How we approach the Southampton game will be telling. A loss and it could get ugly at VP. Beating Liverpool in the CC would be a start too.

• Thanks 1

Just now, jdguitar said:

The decision to give Smith a new four-year contract when we were only lingering just above the relegation zone seems a premature one in hindsight - don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I'd be considering a change in manager at this stage, but when we keep falling off in the second half of games, it's difficult to see us finishing outside the bottom three unless Smith changes things up (which he seems reluctant to do).

I think that contract was a thank you for promotion in the main.

No one should really be saying that.....but that fearful trait we have all seen in the past, where the same problems in our play is there every game.....in other words what are we working on?, or is he getting no response from them?

That will ultimately, allied to constantly losing unseat him.

2 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Apart from promoting Villa and winning 10 on the spin. Apart from that. 

Whilst I agree to a point, that was in the championship. Having improved contracts always seem to have a negative effect on things, I have no idea why but it always seems that way. They are only human so maybe they think they have done enough so take foot off the gas. Smith has never struck me as that type.. One thing is for sure though,  our current owners want to be successful so they won't stand by and watch things go to pot. He is safe this season as goal is to stay up but if we get relegated then it might be a different story.

Â