Ratings & Reactions: Sheff Utd v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/12/19 at 23:59

22 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Yep, Sheffield are made up of players that have played the majority of their careers in League 1 or the Championship and are 5th. We've spent a lot of money on players that are supposed to be good enough for this level and will most likely be 18th later today. This tells me our manager just doesn't know how to get the best out of them.

I think the signs are a bit worrying.....too many defeats and inept performances and all roads lead back to one place.

19 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

Mings maybe a bit shakey in his defending however we missed his influence today.

House was solid ( I gave him motm) but you could tell the players didn't have the same beleif without mings.,

I've not seen Grealish so ineffective for a long time. Is he back on the bottle? strangly enough I watched george best interviewed by wogan this morning when I wokje up. it was on my reccommended vids.

Mings is an influential player even when he plays poor

I agree with this. After the first half I was actually feeling a bit relieved that we didn't have Mings dicing with danger at the back, but we miss him. More as a leader than a defender, IMO.

Jack, great player though he is, is captain in name only. He's not a leader. He's petulant and sulks when things aren't going his way. I could have throttled him when he went all Roy of the Rovers and lashed a shot in to the stands from outside of the box when he had 3-4 villa shirts in the box. 

Suffice to say, as much as Mings has frustrated me lately, I can't wait until he's back.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think the signs are a bit worrying.....too many defeats and inept performances and all roads lead back to one place.

It's even more worrying that the owners seem to have blind faith in Smith. They gave him that contract which suggests to me they will stick by him even if it's not working. Then again, they're ambitious and have put a lot of money into the club not to see us get relegated, so who knows. 

Either way, the pressure has now been ramped up.

2 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Nothing we should have feared about that sheff utd team. Difference was tactically and in attitude. Wilder brilliant. Not long left for smith i think

He needs to go soon to give a top quality manager the chance to get us back up the league.

• Haha 1

The high horse riders can besmirch over reactions all they like this evening, but you can't hide behind anything else other than this side is currently heading down again. We have zero momentum, seemingly zero confidence and the only thing going in our favour is that we play in nice colours.

When was the last actual 'good' performance? Too many players looking either like they are going through the motions or just simply not good enough. Crucial 4 games coming up in the league. If things do not improve in that time, I'm sorry, but our goose will be cooked.

• Like 3

No desire. No fight. No plan and absolutely no confidence. I was always worried about this game but we were completely useless. I struggle to remember a half of football where we passed the ball so poorly than the first half. Everyone’s touch was off and we just sat back and panicked every time we had the ball. Back four did well first half but it was only ever going to be the same onslaught by Sheff Utd in the second half. But we fell apart, and as soon as they scored (again so soon after the re-start) it felt like it was game over.

Whole team lacked any belief whatsoever and we had the appearance of a team already beaten and crestfallen. Not good enough. McGinn was invisible again and seriously needs to get better. I wonder if Grealish being left out wide is contributing to McGinn’s poor performances. If you don’t win the midfield then you very rarely ever win the games. And we’re not winning any midfield battles right now. Grealish seems to play much better, as does Targett, when Conor is on the field as that allows Conor to cover the left side whilst jack interchanges with him and can then roam more freely. 

Thought ElGhazi does what he does every other game and just disappear. We simply don’t have anywhere near of a threat from our attacking three and that hampers us massively. Wesley was isolated today for sure but offers so so little off the ball, I’m just fed up with hearing how the odd flick on or lay off is supposed to be enough to defend him. He isn’t offering enough. He wasn’t the worst out there today but we’re all used to him contributing so little his benchmark for success is so low. 

Poor games for everyone out there today and I’m not sure what’s happened to Nakampa. The games keep passing him by. Our passing was terrible, particularly in the first half. Lansbury was very poor and completely invisible. Surprised as he’s looked bright in the short spells he’s had. I’d rather play an u23 striker than Kodjia. He offers zero. Always. 

I think our players are still defeated by that Leicester game, Smith even alluded to it in the pre-match presser. We had zero confidence today and were outfought and out-thought all over the park. Sheff Utd resembled a team that are a firmly established Premier League team. I continue to be impressed by them.  

Next games over xmas are crucial. We have an inability to stop leaking so many chances and goals, we struggle to ever come from behind to win (have done it only once in 49 games I think) and the pressure is mounting. Smith and his team needs to work very hard to pick this Villa team up. These next games, ahead of a crucial transfer window, will determine how we are shaping up for survival. 

Edited by roonst83

Terrible performance, and no player really deserves a MOTM.

A lot of wasteful play, and the team seem to be playing with a lot of apathy. This is on the players, but they do need a spark.

Another point. After the game, Jack walked over to some young fans to give them his towel, or something. He threw the towel towards them, but an adult hand had successfully intercepted the pass before it reached the kids. Take that home with pride, you hero. People like that disgust me.

3 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Nothing we should have feared about that sheff utd team. Difference was tactically and in attitude. Wilder brilliant. Not long left for smith i think

You could put all that Sheffield team into claret and blue colours and they'd be dog sh**, I'm sure of that. We seem to be the team that makes players look dire. 

That team that went down in 15/16 and one of the worst in PL history still had players like Gueye, Traore, Veretout, Amavi and Ayew, all players doing pretty well these days. They played badly because they played for us, no other reason really. We have a habit of doing it to players. 

Enda Stevens was awful when he was with us, so bad he only played a hatful of games. He's now part of a team that is 5th because they have a structure, team spirit and togetherness that we haven't had for 20 years. That's the reality.

• Thanks 1

Didn't get to watch today but not the result I had hoped for. 

Do we have to look at a change of formation? Maybe try to get a second striker on the pitch from the beginning? 

The next three games will define our season. 

1 minute ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

You could put all that Sheffield team into claret and blue colours and they'd be dog sh**, I'm sure of that. We seem to be the team that makes players look dire. 

That team that went down in 15/16 and one of the worst in PL history still had players like Gueye, Traore, Veretout, Amavi and Ayew, all players doing pretty well these days. They played badly because they played for us, no other reason really. We have a habit of doing it to players. 

Enda Stevens was awful when he was with us, so bad he only played a hatful of games. He's now part of a team that is 5th because they have a structure, team spirit and togetherness that we haven't had for 20 years. That's the reality.

Coincidence, I think they have all gone on to play for good experienced managers.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Newry_Villan said:

Poor all round from everyone. I see Smith out posts on Facebook ffs. 

Not surprising on the back of recent results and performances given the amount of money spent in the summer - he needs to get results and fast 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Agree we lack experience and leaders - too many passengers in the team too often 

2 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Not surprising on the back of recent results and performances given the amount of money spent in the summer - he needs to get results and fast 

He does and he's running out of time. Next two are massive and we really need to be winning both to get some breathing space. No one likes to hear that about a Villa man but the guy is not doing his job well enough, simple as. Second time this season we have lost 3 in a row and we're not even halfway through the season!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

we look awful and this has been the worst period of performances in Dean Smith's time here -

First time I think I disagreed with one of your statements, our run under Smith for two months before the glory run past year were appalling. Losing 3 zip to Wigan without a shot on goal ranks way lower on the scale surely. 

• Like 1

Poor showing really. We did create enough chances to draw this on the plus side. Generally we have been wasteful in front of goal this season.

Heaton 6 - was solid made a couple of good saves but I don't like seeing keepers beaten by a nutmeg.

Guilbert 5 - defensively ok, but wasteful in possession. Constantly gave the ball away. One that sticks out is when he had loads of time and space to make a clearing header with a teammate right there in space and he headed it into touch.

Engels 6 - Is a steady eddie player has his limitations but does the basics well and today exemplified that.

Hause 7 - Some will pick out that he was in no mans land for the first of Flecks goals. But it wasn't his responsibility to track Fleck, it was Lansbury. Defended well and used the ball safely,  constantly helping Targett, the pick of our defenders, and the rest of the team.

Targett 5 - Was given the run around, Sheff Utd passed the ball around him easily and he never got tight enough. But the the best of our defenders when in possession.

Nakamba 6 - Protected the defense well in the first half. Kept things simple. 

Lansbury 4 - supposed to be our  creative outlet in the middle but did nothing and lost Fleck for the opening goal.

McGinn 5 - Always works hard, but like his last 5 or 6 matches did little of note with the ball and gave it away more than I would like.

El Ghazi 5 - kept plugging away but kept failing to beat the first man on crosses, in the first half his balls for the overlapping Guilbert went astray alot. Missed a good chance.

Grealish 4 - didn't get enough of the ball, in good positions (that was down to supply). Was non existent in the first half. Missed a sitter at 1 - 0 and a penalty at 2 - 0 with 12 minutes left. He kept trying though.

Wesley 5 - Link up, and hold up play was decent, had little supply or support. Missed a chance. Showed good first touch in receiving the ball, but defender did well to force him wide and make Wesley miss the shot. Disappointed not to score but certainly wasn't an sitter.

Subs.

Luiz - has not adapted to the little time you get on the ball here yet, and needs to improve his marking, lost Fleck for the second goal.

Kodja - Non existent, if someone told me he had a touch I'd tell you they were lying.

Overall observations.

Starting Lansbury was a mistake.  McGinn needs dropping, but who starts instead? Grealish  needs to be in the middle. Our fullbacks are improvements on their predecessors but have their limitations. Our movement is not good enough, this is particularly striking when contrasted with Sheff Utd whose movement is so impressive. We have more talent in our team and squad make no mistake, but the understanding and cohesion they have, combined with their desire make them a real handful.

Let's hope Dean Smith and John Terry have learnt something from today's defeat and then actually do something positive about it so we win our next crucial match.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/50702304

Sheffield United manager Chris Wilder: "The points we have after 17 games is healthy. That's all we are focused on. It's been a big week for us. Its a huge result for us, to play that way was very pleasing for us.

"It was a proper second half performance. It was a cagey first half and I don't think we had many big opportunities, but I felt it was coming before half-time and we stepped it up in the second half. To go again, we rode our luck with Jack [Grealish] missing the penalty, but I think the right result has happened today.

"Possibly people are changing their opinion on us, we're classed as a pragmatic, structured and organised team but I think if you look at our goals that's doing us a bit of a disservice. Our play was effective and all managers are after that.

"We recovered from disappointment after the Newcastle game, there were a lot of disappointed players and supporters and I struggle with that a bit because we're going to have difficult days. 

"I have to say, Dean [Smith] and John Terry were in the tunnel clapping our players because they recognise our players' performance today. That's a class act and people won't see that but I want to mention it."

Â