Xbox Series X

LakotaDakota

Bethesda is a ballsy move. Microsoft immediately has a nice stable of franchises at their beck and call.

Bethesda probably could benefit from a boost as well. They've seemed a bit tired in the last couple of years.

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Still don't see anything that says buy me now though

PS5 isn't great but xbox is even further down the line 

Series X/S is the must have console in 2022 when everything falls into place.

2022 is probably when we see Fable, State of Decay 3, Avowed, Starfield, DOOM (Next-Gen), Wolfenstein (Next-Gen)... These will be the huge exclusives for Xbox in 2022. 

In 2020 unless you really love backwards compatibility then it's really not worth it. I don't think Series X/S is getting a single first party exclusive until mid-2021, it's completely barren.

PS5's year one line up is fantastic, I think anyone on the fence should just get a PS5 and wait for the studios Microsoft acquired to start putting out games. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

What's quite amusing is that there's two PS5 (timeD) exclusives from Bethesda - Deathloop and Ghostwire: Tokyo. Microsoft marketing all over the splash screen of a PS5 exclusive? :D 

I can't see Microsoft actually locking games like TES and Dishonoured down and not selling them on PS5. The money is too good - they still sell Minecraft on the Ps store for example. I think we'll see lots of delayed releases to encourage Xbox adoption, but I don't think they're going to turn down selling those games on PS entirely.

• Like 2

On 12/09/2020 at 22:51, V01 said:

Thinking of doing the All Access package on a series X, £28.99pm for 2 years, Console and 2 years of game pass ultimate included. Free's up my console savings to put towards a new tv.

I just saw this one another forum and it’s very attractive.

The series S is only £20.99 per month which looks good value to me. An all inclusive price for the hardware, Xbox live/  ea play and no upfront outlay.

I’ll probably tell the OH to think about getting me the console for my birthday or Christmas so it’s even better value :lol: 

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

What's quite amusing is that there's two PS5 (timeD) exclusives from Bethesda - Deathloop and Ghostwire: Tokyo. Microsoft marketing all over the splash screen of a PS5 exclusive? :D 

I can't see Microsoft actually locking games like TES and Dishonoured down and not selling them on PS5. The money is too good - they still sell Minecraft on the Ps store for example. I think we'll see lots of delayed releases to encourage Xbox adoption, but I don't think they're going to turn down selling those games on PS entirely.

Yeah I think many games will be cross-platform still. It's a good advertisement for Game Pass either way.
Buy the game from Sony for £70, or get it for free on Game Pass (not quite free but you know what I mean). 

On 21/09/2020 at 17:37, Chindie said:

It isn't.

Why not? Get people on the subscription model, its reliable predictable income in a growing market. They have 15 million people paying them 10 quid a month. 1.8 billion a year already and that will grow and grow. 

Also this generation will see the growth of digital only consoles and down the line when there are no other options you can increase the price. Now they are buying up game developers to ensure exclusive content and a steady stream of new content. 

Game pass is the future. 

Edited by villa89
  • Sad 1

We'll see when the new studios start releasing games but at the moment the MS studios can't touch the Sony ones with Sony then stating that the development costs of their games is not sustainable on that model, Sony smashed last gen for games, it simply had better games and lots of them, if they do the same with the PS5 then nothing will change 

Will also be interesting to see what these studios do and how they work with game pass, assume that there will be one forza on series x which is then constantly updated with new content rather than there ever being a sequel much like fortnite and destiny and games like that 

I'm not sure that is a good thing 

And how long all of that comes at £0 additional cost is the big question, might be wrong here but I think as of yet none of the game pass games have paid content so like things like Spotify the question comes as to how do the developers make money

11 hours ago, villa4europe said:

And how long all of that comes at £0 additional cost is the big question, might be wrong here but I think as of yet none of the game pass games have paid content so like things like Spotify the question comes as to how do the developers make money

It's a loss leader at the moment but down the line MS are probably trying to pitch themselves as the Spotify of games. If they can manage it then they will have a huge amount of revenue in the long term. 10 quid a month is just to get the subscribers on board. Soon that model will change, 10 euro a month with extra payments for new releases, DLC's, malibu stacey hats, etc. 

I agree

But at the same time know that Spotify is awful for the artists and that Netflix suffers from multi billion dollar losses a year 

Xbox with game pass is my 2nd console this gen, I dont buy a lot of games, I buy the blockbuster AAA titles and they are on the PS, I can't remember the last xbox game I actually bought, it's got to be over 2 years ago maybe 3

I dont see that changing with what the new consoles are showing me, it's interesting that both companies have gone with if its not broke don't fix it when Sony have such a lead at the moment 

Edited by villa4europe

Game Pass is currently fantastic for developers. 

Developers currently get a pretty generous bag of cash relative to the games size and the developers sales expectations. This is huge and Microsoft are spending billions of dollars per year on making sure Game Pass has third party content.

The other thing that Game Pass does for developers is it boosts sales. Game Pass users are very aware that third party games only stick around for 6-12 months and often don't include the DLC, or a Special Edition. This is deliberate and Game Pass users can buy the DLC if they want, I don't know why they would for a game they won't own 6 months from now, but they can. What developers are noticing though is that instead of buying DLC people just buy the game outright if they love it. They just load up the Xbox store, or jump over to Steam and buy the game there. 

There is no service you can really compare Game Pass to currently. I mean in theory Spotify works, but Spotify is so good to the paying customer that they have very few reasons to ever buy music again which is where Spotify differs. Game Pass is good, but it's augmenting game sales currently rather than replacing them outright. 

That said I still don't know when Game Pass will stop being a loss leader though. They are $8.5 billion in the hole thanks to studio acquisitions since launching Game Pass. They spend billions per year on third party games for Game Pass. Financing the next 4-5 years of AAA first party games for Game Pass will cost between $3.4 - $4.6 billion ($150-200 million dev/marketing budget x 23 studios). Game Pass subs will eventually snowball and will start to make Microsoft enough money to offset the monumental losses they are taking right now, but that day is a few years away I think. 

PS. To clarify the $3.4 - $4.6 billion total - The average AAA budget for studios that are as big as the ones Microsoft have acquired (200-300+ people) is $75-$100 million. Marketing budgets are usually 1:1 ratio with the development budget. So lets say Fallout 5 cost $100 million to make, they would then spend $100 million on marketing. That's typically how it works. Some companies like Rockstar go overboard with this, but they generate the sales to back it up. GTA V at 135 million sales has probably sold more units than every Bethesda game combined over the last 34 years.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, villa4europe said:

it's interesting that both companies have gone with if its not broke don't fix it when Sony have such a lead at the moment 

Intrested by what you mean by this? To me it seems MS is playing a completely different game to Sony in the upcoming gen. Not saying it's a better strategy or anything and  it will take a lot of time to make profit. But if you compare 2013 Xbox to 2020 Xbox then they are very different things. Whereas Sony hasn't really changed that much. As market leaders I guess they don't have to. 

Â