Xbox Series X

LakotaDakota

5 minutes ago, Daweii said:

I think what is important to realise is yes the standard output of exclusives might be pretty mundane at this point, I mean we're approaching 15 years of Gears of War so it's a little long in the tooth at this point, but the future is bright;

so you wont be playing the funko pop game?

do you know why they've never managed to get cuphead on game pass? or if that will get a sequel? always wanted to play it but at the same time im weary that due to the difficulty it wont be my thing so cant be bothered to buy it

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

so you wont be playing the funko pop game?

do you know why they've never managed to get cuphead on game pass? or if that will get a sequel? always wanted to play it but at the same time im weary that due to the difficulty it wont be my thing so cant be bothered to buy it

I forgot that Gears POP! was a thing, not sure what Microsoft were thinking when signing off on that one. I'll probably play Gears Tactics though cause XCOM style games are always pretty fun. 

I'm not sure what's going on with Cuphead on Game Pass unfortunately, it's definitely a weird one as Microsoft were a big supporter of the game in development. I can only imagine that the game is still selling well and Microsoft can't come up with a deal that suits both parties. As for a sequel I don't think they're working on one just yet. They currently have The Last Course DLC in development which is planned for release later this year, but no talk of a sequel just yet. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It's a decent enough evolution on the split X used for the Xbox One X.

I think my only issue with it is they shouldn't have revealed the logo the way they did. I think showcasing the logo on a new box art, or something like that would have showcased it better.

SkhNonp.jpg

For instance in this mock-up you can see the Series X Enhanced in the corner. Now it's not very clear because it's not a very high-res image, but that's how this logo will likely be used on Xbox games and in that context it looks a lot better.

So yeah about that "gameplay"... 

Also the world premiere shite was annoying as **** 2 E3s ago

Overall pretty disappointing, some interesting looking stuff but no real attempt to knock anything out of the park, that felt like lower league games rather than their top tier with a horrible tacked on plug for madden and the AC stuff post reveal lost any buzz 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Pretty boring event and nothing looked particularly "next gen".

It was a cross-gen third party event for the most part so nothing was going to look all that next-gen.

The biggest issue was the expectation Microsoft set and how they went about it. There was some "next-gen" stuff in there especially in the games that aren't coming to Xbox One. The issue is they didn't focus on that stuff.

The games in the showcase not coming to Xbox One and are Series X/PC exclusive were; 'Scorn', 'The Medium', 'Bright Memory Infinite' and 'Chorus'.

Now 3 of these 4 were doing next-gen things in some form. 

'The Medium' is a game that uses both Ray Tracing and the power of the SSD. The end of 'The Medium' trailer where the world changes in front of the player is two separate maps and the transition effect was achieved due to near instant load times. 

'Bright Memory Infinite' aside from being developed by just one man is also using Ray Tracing which is most noticeable on the weapons, but without focusing on it's easy to miss.

'Chorus' is also using Ray Tracing for reflections as seen in the trailer. It's only massively visible in one scene, but that is yet another game that is leveraging next-gen only technologies in a way Xbox One cannot.

The biggest issue of the event is firstly it's third parties that won't leverage the hardware all that much, but secondly the ones that were are indie studios which for the most part caps just how pretty games can look. A studio of 1-15 people can only achieve so much.   

It was a misstep by Microsoft for sure and they've owned up to it. I think the showcase to look forward to is the one in July which is dedicated to first parties, I think those will look more like what people were expecting (hopefully). 

11 minutes ago, Daweii said:

'Bright Memory Infinite' aside from being developed by just one man is also using Ray Tracing which is most noticeable on the weapons, but without focusing on it's easy to miss.

Without understanding what I'm actually looking at that's the one that looked the most next gen but it was done in such an in your face look at the over the top weather effects that it actually looked shit

Its the one thing that I'm not overly sold on with ghosts of tsushima (have you played that yet @Daweii?) 

29 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Without understanding what I'm actually looking at that's the one that looked the most next gen but it was done in such an in your face look at the over the top weather effects that it actually looked shit

Its the one thing that I'm not overly sold on with ghosts of tsushima (have you played that yet @Daweii?) 

I'm hoping now that FYQD Studio has found funding for 'Bright Memory Infinite' that he tones that down a bit. What he's achieved as a one-man studio is incredible, but I agree with you that it's really over the top in its presentation. Some aspects of that trailer were really hard to watch with all the cross winds and the horizontal rain. 

I haven't played Ghosts of Tsushima unfortunately. I don't know why, but that game is really low on my radar. I love Feudal Japanese settings, but there is just something about Ghosts of Tsushima that doesn't excite me. Maybe it's just the lack of marketing, that game has played second fiddle to The Last of Us: Part II for much of the last few years.   

• 1 month later...
On 09/05/2020 at 19:38, PieFacE said:

Pretty boring event and nothing looked particularly "next gen".

As an old fart the only game I remember looking completely NextGen was Mario 64. Everything seems to have just got slightly better graphically but even the top consoles now are not photorealistic, Not really sure my point is here but surely gameplay comes over graphics every single time

It's near impossible to tell with these reveal events, I'm streaming it on my phone or ipad on YouTube so the graphics and 8k stuff is lost straight away, then you throw in the biggest leap which is going to be the scale and the loading times, that's really hard to demonstrate during the reveal

I think most have cottoned on to the hidden loading screens this gen 

That said I do agree, xbox needs games or all this power is useless, I'm never going to buy a console for "plays better on..." madden or fifa being shinier on a console is worth absolutely nothing in my eyes 

• 2 weeks later...

Forgot the event was on so late to the party

They're showing stuff for xbox one but will be available on series x which is a bit weird 

That grounded game looked fun and something that thanks to game pass I might try 

Gone through it all

Overriding opinion is that game pass is nuts and they know it, that is the console seller rather than an individual game 

Halo and forza do nothing for me, not sure on fable

The rare game looked really interesting if they get that right then that could see me get one , so did the art style of as dusk falls but that's an interactive adventure which isn't my thing 

I'll play stalker 2, state of decay 3, grounded and that crossfire game on GP maybe even pick up destiny again 

Its not mind blowingly incredible must have one now for me but my plan on buying one after the first price drop might change, that is a console that I would buy the digital only version and just have GP and never actually pay for a game 

I can't get passed GamePass as ultimately a dealers offer - your first hit is free kinda stuff... Because it's not sustainable. And the moment that Microsoft take centre stage again they'll rollback their generosity...

Q0Pw81F.png

The cross-gen exclusive gamble has not paid off and will not pay off. Halo: Infinite on Series X looks worse visually than the Xbox One X Enhanced version of Halo 5. 

Microsoft showed a whole lot of nothing for the second straight showcase. Now did I get hyped in places? Sure I did. When they revealed State of Decay 3, Avowed and Stalker 2 it was exciting, but no gameplay means the games are likely 2022/23 and beyond.

My biggest issue was the clear lack of knowing which games are truly Series X exclusive and which games are cross-gen exclusive. Some games had Xbox One | Series X at the end, while others had just Series X | PC at the end, but also had an Optimised For Series X logo on them which makes me think Xbox One is part of it. Microsoft's messaging recently has been really muddy and lacklustre. 

I thought as a game pass show it was pretty good. There's insane value in game pass for users. The narrative of "Xbox only has Halo/Forza/Gears" is finally shifting which is nice.

As a 'next gen' show, I'd honestly rank it at a 5/10. Was bang average. Though, I thought the same about Sony's too. Everything 'next gen' hasn't really impressed me at all across the board.

As a big Halo fan from when I was a kid... well... meh. Dunno what's up with the game. Dunno if it's the cross platform stuff holding it back, or if it's simply not finished. Looks like it needs to be delayed a year tbh. 4K/60FPS (I can't stand 30FPS games anymore. Needs to be put in the bin already) in an open world game is nice, and it looks kinda fun to play, but it looks not much better than Halo 3 visually.

The only game that is exciting me for next gen atm is Cyberpunk.

Edited by PieFacE

Â