Xbox Series X

LakotaDakota

Looks like MS have jumped first with the next gen console reveal

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/12/12/microsoft-unveils-xbox-series-x/

Bringing Developers’ Dreams to Life with Xbox Series X

Games today deliver amazing visuals and tell an array of different and deep stories.  That’s why, when we started work on Xbox Series X, it was vital we continue to advance state-of-the-art visual capabilities for developers, while also ensuring they could realize even greater feeling, emotion and empathy in their games. With Xbox Series X, we will elevate the way games look, play and feel. We will also remove the technical barriers faced in previous generations and enable developers to create more expansive, immersive gaming worlds that invite more players to play.

From a technical standpoint, this will manifest as world-class visuals in 4K at 60FPS, with possibility of up to 120FPS, including support for Variable Refresh Rate (VRR), and 8K capability. Powered by our custom-designed processor leveraging the latest Zen 2 and next generation RDNA architecture from our partners at AMD, Xbox Series X will deliver hardware accelerated ray tracing and a new level of performance never before seen in a console.  Additionally, our patented Variable Rate Shading (VRS) technology will allow developers to get even more out of the Xbox Series X GPU and our next-generation SSD will virtually eliminate load times and bring players into their gaming worlds faster than ever before.

We are minimizing latency by leveraging technology such as Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM) and giving developers new functionality like Dynamic Latency Input (DLI) to make Xbox Series X the most responsive console ever.  Xbox Series X is also designed for a future in the cloud, with unique capabilities built into the hardware and software to make it as easy as possible to bring great games to both console and elsewhere. Xbox Series X will deliver a level of fidelity and immersion unlike anything that’s been achieved in previous console generations.   

One Console, Four Generations of Gaming

One of the things we’re most proud of with Xbox Series X is the promise we’re delivering to our fans who have and continue to invest with Xbox. Thanks to backward compatibility, you can expect your gaming legacy, thousands of your favorite games across four generations of gaming, all your Xbox One gaming accessories, and industry-leading services like Xbox Game Pass to be available when you power on your Xbox Series X in Holiday 2020.

Building on our compatibility promise, with Xbox Series X we’re also investing in consumer-friendly pathways to game ownership across generations. Leading the way with our first-party titles including Halo Infinite in 2020, we’re committed to ensuring that games from Xbox Game Studios support cross-generation entitlements and that your Achievements and game saves are shared across devices.  As we branch out and extend gaming to more players around the world, console gaming will remain at the heart of our Xbox offering.  Game creators around the globe are already hard at work building content for Xbox Series X and our 15 Xbox Game Studios are developing the largest and most creatively diverse lineup of Xbox exclusive games in our history. On behalf of Team Xbox, we’re excited to enter the future of console gaming with you and can’t wait to share more in 2020.

Day 1 for me. It's going to be a monster! The design is a bit weird, if it fits in my TV cabinet then I don't really care what it looks like tbh. 

Stupid name though. Scarlett was a better name imo.

If all next-gen games can run at 4k/60fps then I'll be a happy chappy. 30fps need to be put in the bin.

Will probably hold out on Cyberpunk till this console is released. Hopefully it may even be on XGP by then.

Edited by PieFacE

Looks like Dad's ashes. Perhaps it simply needs to be that size and shape due to the gubbins?

Yes the name is a bad choice. If the series is a reference to it being the definitive Xbox console with all those games being playable, I can kind of understand...but It's too similar to Xbox One X for a start.

Series X will make more sense once the other next-gen Xbox consoles are out. Microsoft are tackling this like a car lineup. Expect a Series S to come at some point after 2020 and for the naming scheme to make a lot more sense. 

As for the design of the system itself it's a very good design at least for thermals which are going to be important. The consoles in current-gen targeted 1.6Ghz clocks on CPU and 800Mhz clocks on GPU, but if what I have heard is accurate then it's a 3.5Ghz target for CPU and a 2.0Ghz target for GPU. They are going to need the mother of all 140mm fans in the top of this chimney design if that's accurate. 

I'm looking forward to this release. I'm likely more excited for PlayStation 5 because I can play all Xbox games on PC just fine, but Series X may become a dedicated backwards compatibility box and I'm perfectly fine with that. 

@Davkaus They aren't suggesting AAA games at 4K120. 4K60 will be the standard for almost all AAA games on the platform, but Indie games for instance are often way less demanding.

Xbox Series X supports HDMI 2.1 which allows 4K120, or 8K60 provided the end user uses an Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable. That doesn't mean games will be targeting 8K60, or even 4K120. Most will be targeting 4K60 and either 1080p120, or 1440p120 for those that don't care about resolution, but have one of those fancy adaptive sync 120Hz+ monitors. 

There are lots of use cases where Xbox Series X will hit 120FPS+, just not in AAA games, at least not at 4K.   

10 hours ago, Davkaus said:

If they hit 4k at 60fps,I'll be amazed. It can only be good for PC, but it's currently basically unattainable. 

4K60 isn't that hard to hit. Most Xbox One X games hit at least 4K30 natively and Series X based on leaks that the reveal essentially confirmed is 4x as powerful. 

What PC gamers are struggling with is no mandate as to what constitutes "recommended" settings for 4K60. Yes, 4K60 Ultra settings is really hard to hit, but the difference in visual fidelity between Ultra and Medium is negligible yet the FPS gain is sometimes 60-80% more. Most of the perpetuation of 4K60 being hard to run is PC gamers cranking settings when they don't need to. 

PS. There are AAA Xbox One X games right now that hit 4K60 already (lots of them). Now some do it from a base of 1800p and upscale it which looks practically the same as native 4K, but quite a few do it natively. So if Xbox One X is already attaining it in certain games then Series X shouldn't have an issue. 

15 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Same old... Look at all the power!!!!!!!! 

Can I have some better games please? 

Need to announce a seller for a non xbox crowd, as good as game pass is I'm sitting xbox out for a few years next gen 

Hellblade 2 trailer was released which looked good.

It's multi plat though

I'll get a PS5 for horizon 2, spiderman 2 and then just their general hit rate of exclusives this gen

MS have to offer something more than their big 3, they should with all the new studios, should be new IPs too but until they start getting revealed I'm not fussed by hardware and performance stuff - it will be shiny and fast

Edited by villa4europe

On 13/12/2019 at 15:22, Daweii said:

Series X will make more sense once the other next-gen Xbox consoles are out. Microsoft are tackling this like a car lineup. Expect a Series S to come at some point after 2020 and for the naming scheme to make a lot more sense. 

If you're suggesting a wait of literally years for the name to make sense, that's pretty indicative of it being a bad name. 

I think Microsoft are standardising how they name products across their whole platform. For example, I think the new Surface Book will be Surface Book Series X for the high spec'd model.

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, hogso said:

If you're suggesting a wait of literally years for the name to make sense, that's pretty indicative of it being a bad name. 

I was merely suggesting that people be patient. I don't think we'll wait years for this to "make sense" as I think Series S appears at E3. I also think between now and then we'll have had dozens of interviews talking about the Series product line and why the name was chosen. That said I never said I agreed with the name. 

On 15/12/2019 at 08:50, hogso said:

It makes total sense though.  People will go into a shop or search online for "Xbox" and as long as it's called that with some kind of indicator that it's the new one then it's mission accomplished.   

• 2 months later...

It’s a beast! Really torn what to go for next gen. Love Sony exclusives but as I’ve got 3 years of game pass the series X is an interesting proposition. 

Â