Ratings & Reactions: Wolves v Villa

limpid

Match Threads  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/11/19 at 23:59

2 hours ago, A'Villan said:

Agree with all of that.

However, I do not believe for a moment that because Wolves have a superior front 3, that our team should be incapable of stringing a few passes together.

The second half shows that we can compete with Wolves, because we did at times. Before it went 2-0 you thought we had a chance to draw the game.

Such was so many things wrong.....I was surprised we actually scored.

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

Such was so many things wrong.....I was surprised we actually scored.

I wasn't. The 2nd half was better and we managed to get forward and put some pressure on Wolves.

In the minutes leading up to their 2nd, I was hopeful we'd pull one back, and then ride the momentum to a second and a win.

Not to be. First half cost us the game really.

Just seen interview with Dean Smith after the game. Stated that you can't give any team a 45 minute start and he reminded the players of that at half time which translates to the hairdryer treatment. Hence the slightly improved second half performance.

He looked absolutely disgusted which is good to see and didn't try to explain it away with BS.

Hopefully we won't see that type of inept performance again?

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We desperately need Jack back, that much is clear.

We're as dependent on him this season as we were last season. Anyone refusing to accept that is in denial.

Absolutely bang on----the lad is quality----he can and does make a difference----a big difference.

9 minutes ago, striker said:

Just seen interview with Dean Smith after the game. Stated that you can't give any team a 45 minute start and he reminded the players of that at half time which translates to the hairdryer treatment. Hence the slightly improved second half performance.

He looked absolutely disgusted which is good to see and didn't try to explain it away with BS.

I was impressed he didn't try to paper over it, he told it like it was.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ExhallVillan said:

Absolutely bang on----the lad is quality----he can and does make a difference----a big difference.

He is the only one who can carry the ball.

4 hours ago, nick76 said:

I've been really positive with my posts this season if you look at them but that was awful.

I gave Trez MoM but only because of the goal.  I dont think anybody deserved a satisfaction rating.  I maybe over reacting but even when we have lost this season I havent felt like I do after this game.  Wolves were far better, we looked exhausted, tactically naive, lacking idea's, defensively awful and at times like we didnt know what to do with a football when we got it.

Very disappointed....not at losing but the manner we lost.  We may have been missing three key players but there is no excuse for how the players played.

I knew we'd have bad games this season and hopefully that was one of them so I'm going to believe it was a blip but jeez I am angry at the moment.

sadly, you're not.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, screwdriver said:

Harsh on taylor.

He did better in the one on ones than target. target was being destroyed first half. only adama's awful crossing kept us in the game.

if people give taylor the ball back he's got no choice but to push up. mcginn gave him a poor ball to run on to.

both wingers were so awful.

neves's goal - why leave someone who can knock it free on the edge of the box? souness said the same at half time.

a terrible performance.

terrible subs by smith lansbury should of replaced luiz who doesn't want to be here.

To be fair, it doesn't take Souness to spot it....it was so,bloody obvious.....I think he cited poor organisation and he was right.

I thought Luiz was woeful....amongst many others, how Trez got second MOTM the mind boggles.....thought the front line was championship standard today.

Edited by TRO

4 hours ago, andyjsg said:

Again watch it back the ball was sent short he had to stretch for it. I think some people watch a different game, just caught up in their hatred of players. I’m no fan of Taylor, but he was one of the reasons he came back into the game today.

We had to stretch for everything....everybody did.

4 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Really very poor. 

Not just poor as in second best to Wolves - poor as in second best to the Villa we've been so far this season - no hunger, no pattern, no desire - we didn't turn up. We've given a really poor account of ourselves and there are people who will think this is what we are - it's very disappointing.

Neither keeper can really be blamed, Targett was awful and is now injured, hopefully Mings hasn't done himself too much harm, Konsa was okay I guess, Guilbert did alright, Nakamba needed saving from a yellow, Luiz was the better of our two full Brazilian internationals but that's not saying much, McGinn is a shadow of himself and has been for a couple of weeks, Trezeguet has started to look strong toward the end of games, El Ghazi tries more than he can do and Wesley looks as dangerous as a bag of wool.

We're now missing Heaton, Steer, Targett, Grealish, Jota, Engels, Davis and possibly Mings so there isn't much in the way of options and we look lifeless. 

There will be an interesting test for Mr Smith this week on the training ground.

Well done to the Wolves, although they didn't look great, we were there for the taking today and a decent side would have put us away much earlier - we were still in it at 1-0 with six minutes to go and still pushing at the death - and we were dreadful - I mean Southampton dreadful. Everyone from 5th to 20th is in a relegation fight and I don't think everyone has noticed - Wolves will need to be a lot better than they were today if they don't want to stay in that fight - we're in it for the whole season on today's showing.

could have been worse.....we could have faced Leicester.

yeah, I agree with that Southampton or Norwich, Dreadful.

I would send them to their room.

5 hours ago, Eastie said:

We massively outspent Sheffield United and look how well they’ve started - we bought too many players untried at this level and from other countries - it can take a long time to settle and maybe some will never be good enough at this level 

They have undying thirst for work....they don't stand off, they are down your throat and deny you an opportunity to launch an attack at the same time playing some decent football.

For me their work rate and ability to hunt in packs is frightening, they don't give you a minutes peace......hence their good results away from home. I have a feeling Wilder demands it.

I think you make a good point....time to look closer to home for reinforcements.

Edited by TRO

As the board surely they will want a certain point position to invest in real quality in January? 

this match could have had us on 14 points. We need 20 by Christmas. So that’s 9 to find by then... pretty big ask. 

McGinn and the wingers spent nearly the whole game too far forward, giving no cover to the fullbacks and offering no passing options and making the counter press impossible. The amount of times Luiz, Nakamba or a defender had to attempt a 30+ yard pass through traffic or just hoof it to try to find someone a huge part of our problem, especially since we apparently can't win headers or 50/50s.

1 hour ago, striker said:

There's stuff this club need to work on and we might need a new winger, striker and left back, but at least we got the key position right. 

Top man Deano. Always speaks sense. 

• Like 1

Before the game started, I thought we had a good chance of winning, despite having Jack, Heaton and Engels out, but seeing that bench scared me.

All hope was lost when Steer went down, and saw Nyland coming on. A training cone, a wheelie bin, or even tying some dead guy's hands to the cross bar would be a better option than having him in goal, as any shot on was pretty much guaranteed to go in. To be honest, he actually played alright.

Then Targett gets injured after copping a kick to the head while getting fouled. On trots Taylor, and all hope for a decent game shrivels like a salted slug.

Deano showed his worth, because the team improved after the break. They were still crap, but they were a fresher shade of crap after that first half. Deano showed great skill in polishing that turd after the first half.

I gave Steer my MOTM, as he showed more desire and will to win getting injured after 8 minutes than being involved in an overall extremely poor team performance. The next time those players check their bank balances, I hope they all feel very guilty.

A very poor rating for the ref too, after completely ignoring the fouls on Anwar and Targett. FU ref!

Our worst performance of the season, and I hope it remains to be.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, LondonLax said:

I think the fees were about right. When average signings are going for £40m our £10-20m buys are looking about right for value. 

£22m for Wesley

£4m for Jota (not a bad fee in itself - but it was always odds against him making an impact)

£9m for Konsa - might be ok in due course - but could that £9m have gone towards a player who could make an impact this season

£7m - Trez - ok 2 in 2 - but workrate seems his only attribute.

None of the above are prem quality IMO - that's a massive problem for us.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Â