Ratings & Reactions: Wolves v Villa

limpid

Match Threads  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/11/19 at 23:59

Last international break came as we were in a roll. This one is a bit different  How quickly the season can change. Injuries were eventually going to come into play and this week off will be very beneficial. Glad we got the goal back and never quit. Really hope the owners can spend another 10 to 20 million this January. 

Very little threat going forward, no creativity in midfield and looked like conceding in defence with practically every Wolves attack. The goal placed a sticking plaster over what was in general an insipid performance.

Cannot give credit to any player for their performance. It was like playing Brentford again with Wolves more clinical although Taylor was a massive improvement on Target.

Where has the Dean Smith type of football gone to? Thought I heard the Wolves fans taking the Mickey at the end of the first half shouting hoof when Ming's blasted another rocket into the Wolves half. It was that bad.

Villa will need to spend massively again in January on the right players to stay up.

Edited by striker
  • Like 2

Smith will be seething at that you'd think. Nothing he can do about the injuries which basically took the rug out from under him substitutions wise. 

Improved second half as Trez and El Ghazi remembered they have to help the full backs out. Weren't there as a unit though today, disjointed playing back to front especially first half. 

Not the end of the world, break comes at a good time for us, need to hope we can get our players fit now and do some work at BMH.

• Like 3

Worked hard and had the initiative for much of the second half, but we didn't have the quality in the final third to create a goal. They just cramp up a bit when it's business time.

Important to get a positive performance and result in the next one.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, andyjsg said:

Again watch it back the ball was sent short he had to stretch for it. I think some people watch a different game, just caught up in their hatred of players. I’m no fan of Taylor, but he was one of the reasons he came back into the game today.

Hatred for Taylor? because I dont agree with you on this point.  I have no issue with Taylor generally but I have watched it back and for me it was his fault.  We did have chance to rescue it after that but it started with him.

The worst thing about today's game was the mindset of the players. Yes we had a few big players out but their body language and effort in the first half made it quite clear they didn't expect to win the game, and in a way that was part of what cost us the game. Then two more first half injuries and they never believed they had a chance. Even though luck was definitely not on our side this weekend, to be that apathetic about the first half was unacceptable all around.

The first goal was a dreadful tackle from Mings from the free kick - I have no idea what he was thinking. Then leaving Neves on the edge from the free kick is unforgivable - how did they not think to leave a man on the edge of the box like normal? 

Credit to Smith for inspiring a better second half performance, but it wasn't exactly hard to be better than absolutely useless. Trez and Nakamba our two best players for me, and Konsa didn't look out of place in the defence. El Ghazi was okay and offered a threat but never delivered anything of quality. McGinn was outplayed by Moutinho all game.

And credit to Wolves where it's due, as bad as we were they ran rings around us at times and Adama was completely unplayable. If it weren't for a bit of luck and some better performances in the second half we would have been picked off 3-0 or 4-0.

Rest up over the international break and let's rip Newcastle to shreds.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Troglodyte said:

Perhaps most disappointingly of all, McGinn was incredibly poor today. Not on the ball enough, and making his typically energetic runs but often at the wrong times and into the wrong places. Too slow to release the ball at times too, and when it came to their second he was clearly blowing (despite having nothing to show for it) and couldn't get back on the cover. Douglas more to blame there though obviously, as that was the worse of many instances in the game of us not being committed enough in challenges - unfortunately those that are more willing to get stuck in, Guilbert and Nakamba, got booked early on. 

This. Mcginn was our worst player by far today. He was wayyy to far forward in the first half and I didnt see him do anything in the second half. Played a hospital ball for their second goal.

El ghazi got my man of the match closely beating out nakamba. He was our only player who actually created anything. 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Hatred for Taylor? because I dont agree with you on this point.  I have no issue with Taylor generally but I have watched it back and for me it was his fault.  We did have chance to rescue it after that but it started with him.

No Nick, it started from McGinn's poor ball to Taylor.

We need more quality, simple as. As much as I like McGinn, he has been very poor for weeks and again today disappointed. Clearly missing Jack and we need him back, but to also have Heaton, Engels, Steer, Targett get injured really buggered us today. Wolves fans are giving it large, but they beat us without four or five of our first team players the ****s and we still gave them a scare at the end.

I am concerned especially with the games coming up but clearly we need our first team players back ASAP. We have to beat Newcastle, the next three after that are tough, but we have to be getting 3 points over the Christmas period against sides like Southampton, Norwich and Watford. 

If we can get to January in around 14th place we can hopefully strengthen with a couple of top quality additions which will require the cheque book coming out. 

Today we played very very poorly but still could have got something, really must bounce back next game after a disappointing last few weeks. International break is very welcome.

• Like 1

Â