Ratings & Reactions: Wolves v Villa

limpid

Match Threads  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/11/19 at 23:59

11 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

I think the difference was, as I said in the pre-match thread, they have had a system that works implemented far longer than we have even been together.

I think Smith has to take responsibility for today's performance. I don't think the players we had on the pitch were prepared well enough for what was coming.

I thought we had as much talent as them out there, and had our assembly and approach  been better, we might of had a bit more life and purpose in that first half.

I'm a huge fan of Smith, and it's been disappointing to drop results because of players making individual errors. Today I think Smith needs to put his hand up.

I don’t think our front 3 are anywhere near as talented as the wolves attack - today they also had the desire to win and wanted it more - we  were lucky to lose 2-1 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Wolves are all over us on Twitter at the moment.

I feel bad for them focusing on us rather than enjoying their win.

You think a lot about our opponents feelings, don't you? Reading your posts it's almost like you kinda like wonder what it would be like to be like the fan of another team.

3 minutes ago, Eastie said:

I don’t think our front 3 are anywhere near as talented as the wolves attack - today they also had the desire to win and wanted it more - we  were lucky to lose 2-1 

Agree with all of that.

However, I do not believe for a moment that because Wolves have a superior front 3, that our team should be incapable of stringing a few passes together.

The second half shows that we can compete with Wolves, because we did at times. Before it went 2-0 you thought we had a chance to draw the game.

Watched the game at the in-laws who are all Wolves fans.  Bad day all round, although the pork sandwich's that were presented softened the mood.

Injuries pre game and during clearly rocked us, but let’s not dress up what was a very poor performance from us.  The least I want to see is fight and it was lacking first half and only slightly improved in the second.  

Trezeguet MOTM (only just) and not because he scored, but he was the brightest of our forward thinking players today.  Nakamba was ok, McGinn poor.  El Ghazi anonymous first half and only gave us something in the final 20 minutes.  Wesley fed off scraps, but he fluffed his chance and should have done far far better with it.  At least hit the target man.  Defence seemed rocky all game.  Where is Hause?  Would have preferred him coming on to mark Adama. 

So to the goals.  Wolves first you could see coming and we should be switched on to someone on the edge of the area. Poor.  The second, well for starters the Luiz challenge out wide was laughable.  I didn’t actually think we’d score, but pleased for Trez. 

In summary, we were terrible.  Wolves kept the ball much better, but didn’t think they were great and we made them look better than they were.  As previously said, injuries rocked us, but where was our fight and desire?  Smith needs to rally the troops quickly, which is difficult during an international fortnight, but confidence building is key now.  We need to be ready and blow Newcastle away in the next.  

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Wolves are all over us on Twitter at the moment.

I feel bad for them focusing on us rather than enjoying their win.

So what? They’ve just won a local derby and have the bragging rights today.  We’d be the same.   

46 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

With the amount of work our squad needed we did about as well as any fan of a promoted team could ask for. We massively outspent the other two promoted sides. 

It was always going to be a big step up where we would lose more than we won. 

I just don't think enough of the players are going to cut it at this level.

I don't doubt the clubs determination - but we brought the wrong players and some of the fees look well over the top.

21 minutes ago, Eastie said:

We massively outspent Sheffield United and look how well they’ve started - we bought too many players untried at this level and from other countries - it can take a long time to settle and maybe some will never be good enough at this level 

We had no other option. We have ourselves the best chance at survival and are on target to do that. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

I just don't think enough of the players are going to cut it at this level.

I don't doubt the clubs determination - but we brought the wrong players and some of the fees look well over the top.

I think the fees were about right. When average signings are going for £40m our £10-20m buys are looking about right for value. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flashingqwerty said:

DS poor again for me.  He is not learning from his mistakes.  Same errors today as on day 1.  Predictable and ineffective.

To persist with 4-3-3 particularly when you are ravaged by injuries in naive imo.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Agree with all of that.

However, I do not believe for a moment that because Wolves have a superior front 3, that our team should be incapable of stringing a few passes together.

The second half shows that we can compete with Wolves, because we did at times. Before it went 2-0 you thought we had a chance to draw the game.

The passing was poor....the aggression is sadly lacking amongst many things, we just manage it in moments and certain players.....The standing off was rife too.

The stats were amazingly close......shows you can't trust stats to tell you the whole truth of a game.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Disappointing performance--too many not showing and didnt want it whereas Wolves did----Not impressed with players ducking under the ball---Luiz could have taken one for the team for the first---and what was his attempt to stop Traore for the second all about?

thought Targett surrendered too easily against the dual threat of Docherty and Traore---then again Trezaguett did,nt help out much,

SJM appeared off the pace---dreadful pass to Taylor that created the second and his attempt to track back was very poor---could,nt work out his attempted very wayward pass right at the end----

is the squad good enough ?  the next 4 games will certainly give an indication,

1 hour ago, TRO said:

The passing was poor....the aggression is sadly lacking amongst many things, we just manage it in moments and certain players.....The standing off was rife too.

The stats were amazingly close......shows you can't trust stats to tell you the whole truth of a game.

NO desire or fight , we have got to show more than this, we also need to be able to adapt a change the system. Its going to be a long tough season ! 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

NO desire or fight , we have got to show more than this, we also need to be able to adapt a change the system. Its going to be a long tough season ! 

I just feel amongst the many things I could say.....4-3-3 is too ambitious for us.

We haven't got the personnel consistent enough to play it.

Edited by TRO

I think Dean Smith was generous to blame the first half aloneand pleased he refused to blame injuries, some aspects of our play was woeful.....sure we was better,in the second, but the staggering thing for me is,I could quote a catalogue of attributes, where we was poor.

I think that was our worst game of the season.

I actually thought Wolves were poor too, bar for some good moments they had.

Too many games like this and we are in for a hard season.

38 minutes ago, ExhallVillan said:

Disappointing performance--too many not showing and didnt want it whereas Wolves did----Not impressed with players ducking under the ball---Luiz could have taken one for the team for the first---and what was his attempt to stop Traore for the second all about?

thought Targett surrendered too easily against the dual threat of Docherty and Traore---then again Trezaguett did,nt help out much,

SJM appeared off the pace---dreadful pass to Taylor that created the second and his attempt to track back was very poor---could,nt work out his attempted very wayward pass right at the end----

is the squad good enough ?  the next 4 games will certainly give an indication,

I asked myself that question.....too many games of that quality and I would have to say no.

On the back of the Liverpool game, you can't really blame confidence.

I see things in games, not just this one.....where we haven't improved and it worries me.....some things we have improved, but its the others and there was plenty today.

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Throwing it out there - even our fans were subdued today, can only remember hearing us 3 or 4 times whereas wolves were in good voice

Very strange game, hopefully to be taken in isolation, wolves formation murdered us, we were a mess, couldn't get to grips with it in minute 1 or minute 90, should have scored more, we couldn't press as a team and looked like we were chasing shadows making us look very very lazy especially up top

The main problem I think we had is that we tried to match wolves intensity, we played too fast but whereas wolves had the quality and the space out wide we made it look rushed and Aimless, again making our top 3 look lazy, we gave them a lot of shit to chase today, very little good passing, we needed to put our foot on the ball and slow it down, obviously missed grealish but mcginn was poor, Luiz followed suit, Nakamba was OK off the ball but poor on it 

Good to see VAR get the no penalty for us right, it was a great tackle, their reaction to no handball was a farce 

On to a game where we know if the manager does smash us tactically then we really are in the shit 

We give the ball away far too readily to be serious about anything........other teams better organised hunt the opposition down  in 3 's and 4 's and win the ball.....conversely we go off individually and get out muscled in the main.....the gaps between our players is huge and the opposition have a field day playing between us ....we get panic tackles in and get injured too easily, thats before we run out of steam against the better sides who make us work......We lose aerial battles too ,too easily, so we fail to capitalise on territoril advantage.

There were so many things today, its depressing.....we was even losing out in the air with throw ins.

With the reputation Neves has for those long range shots.....why on earth did no one come out of the wall and close him down.....it was close to inevitable, what was going to happen.....its just poor organisation.

It definately was a day to forget.

Edited by TRO

Â