Pre-Match thread (Cup Final 11 of 38)

zab6359

I go to Villa Park today feeling no desire to get any sort of result just to get the 90 mins out of the way and check out salah to see where he rates in the list of the greatest players I've seen live. (currently Christiano is number1).

As long as we give them a bloody nose and make it difficult I'll take a 0-3. 

I don't think we are their bogey team at Villa Park. It's anfield where we have caused upset. Lamberts boys, think McCleish used to get something. only houllier's team got bummed probably under instructions from the manager. . I think even the 2015 season we narrowly lost under garde 3-2 gestede got one.

Grealish must play!

We will probably have at least one spell in the game where we will have a stone wall chance. (Mcgins first half shot against city, Kenian Davis chance) we need to take these opportunities.

Things that are due:

1 in 3 striker wesley is due to score today

Liverpool are due a defeat

Firmino sane and salah have player something like 200 games together. surely they're due an injury (even a freak tripping over the xbox controller)

Virgin Van Dyke is due a mings style rush of blood to the head.(even the great mcgrath scored a few o'gs)

Got a feeling Dean will play Elmo at RB today. Good showing midweek and DS might feel that we need that extra bit of defensive nous when faced with Liverpool's three-pronged attack. I love Guilbert but he was targeted by City last week. 

For that bit of conservative strategy, I have a feeling Conor might start. I can’t see Doug playing three on the spin. 

Critical for me that Nakamba tucks into defence so we don’t get overloaded at the back. 

El Ghazi and Grealish either side of Wes. Trez as impact sub. Makes you realise how much we need another winger for depth in January. 

Edited by KevinRichardsonsMoustache
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, screwdriver said:

I go to Villa Park today feeling no desire to get any sort of result just to get the 90 mins out of the way and check out salah to see where he rates in the list of the greatest players I've seen live. (currently Christiano is number1).

Mane is better than Salah.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

If Fabinho doesn't play that would be huge for us. Arguably the best DM in the league if not the World.

He’s one yellow away from missing the city game, so might be rested for today. But Klopp likes to take one game at a time so he may still play. If he does, then I hope we take note and get in his face, he’ll be worried about picking up a booking which might take the edge off his game. 

Why do we have it as the “cup final” countdown already? Too premature for that.

For me Liverpool this season are the best team in the league. They’ve added that trait of coming back from defeat to win, it’s what got Utd all those titles. Defensively they are very strong and attack superb. 

Unfortunately I see them winning at a canter. Just hope it’s not  like last time we played them. To add with England losing could be a very bad day 

This won't be any different to the City game imo. We'll hold on for as long as possible but once they get the first goal they'll get through much easier then and stick a few more in.

3 or 4-0 Liverpool unfortunately. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, romavillan said:

Total free hit, I'd rest Grealish no matter how much he might want to play, we need him in the other games where we have a good chance fo getting points. Risking him and him breaking down and not playing for a whiel woudl really hurt our season.

I'd start the same shape as we did against city though, we will go for it regardless (as we should) with 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3.

So would I .....He won't make the difference.

4-3-3 we will get undone, easier.

4-2-3-1 or 4-5-1.....which can be much the same.

We are simply not quick enough at moving the ball to trouble them.

prediction.....1-4

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

See the rugby,  anything can happen. 

Remember the Collymore game v Liverpool,  hope for that.  They (liverpool) can't be really lucky every game on every ground with every decision can they ?

Trouble is SA won everything.....set pieces, Line Outs, scrums, totally out muscled.

can't see us doing all that in footballing terms.

41 minutes ago, Farlz said:

This won't be any different to the City game imo. We'll hold on for as long as possible but once they get the first goal they'll get through much easier then and stick a few more in.

3 or 4-0 Liverpool unfortunately. 

sadly, you are right.

we can all live in hope, like farmers in Africa wait for rain.

8 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

I know mate,  just trying to be positive.

I am trying to be positive too.....problem is I have been watching our games and despite the encouraging progress.....we still have players no where near the standard to give this team a game or a realistic chance of defeating them.

We would have to come out with a belief and tenacity, that we have not yet seen and an aggression that has so far been beyond us....if we can muster that, who knows?

do you remember the 5-1 Dec 15 1976?.......that's what we did.

Edited by TRO