Pre-Match thread (Cup Final 11 of 38)

zab6359

1 hour ago, supermon said:

We are apparently somewhat of a bogey team for Liverpool, would take a draw, it's probably their time to slip

Although thats usually in the Anfield. Anyway, I think we'd get something out of this (if Grealish played), not sure wether that will be a win or a draw. They're hard to beat, but I'd play them every day than playing Man City.

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

With a high pressing Liverpool front Three against a mistake prone Mings i can see another 3-0 defeat here. Sadly.

Mings is class.................every defender has a mistake in them. Maybe we should be looking to replace him in January? 🙄

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Mings is class.................every defender has a mistake in them. Maybe we should be looking to replace him in January? 🙄

Mings have got some good qualities, but he needs to sort out his mistakes. It'v valid criticism.

Mings got more mistakes that have led to goals more so than any other defenders in the league so far.

• Like 1

Assuming Jack has recovered in time for this one and going on the performances of the fringe players last night, I think the main decisions Smith is faced with are the following;

Elmo or Guilbert - Elmo played well against Wolves and got a goal to boot,  but against a pacy Liverpool strike force I think Guilbert is better suited.

Horuihane or Lansbury for either Luiz or Nakamba - Lansbury was better than Conor but I think neither will start on Saturday - If Jack doesn't make it, possibly Henri would get a chance. 

El Ghazi or Trezeguet - Anwar was the better of the two I think and at the moment more likely to pop up with a goal so I'd side with him for this one.

Konsa or Engels - Ezri looked assured last night albeit against weaker opposition whereas Engels hasn't done a lot wrong since he joined, I don't expect many would agree, but I would be tempted to start with Konsa for this, again maybe better suited to the opposition.

The rest pick themselves.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WakefieldVillan said:

Assuming Jack has recovered in time for this one and going on the performances of the fringe players last night, I think the main decisions Smith is faced with are the following;

Elmo or Guilbert - Elmo played well against Wolves and got a goal to boot,  but against a pacy Liverpool strike force I think Guilbert is better suited.

Horuihane or Lansbury for either Luiz or Nakamba - Lansbury was better than Conor but I think neither will start on Saturday - If Jack doesn't make it, possibly Henri would get a chance. 

El Ghazi or Trezeguet - Anwar was the better of the two I think and at the moment more likely to pop up with a goal so I'd side with him for this one.

Konsa or Engels - Ezri looked assured last night albeit against weaker opposition whereas Engels hasn't done a lot wrong since he joined, I don't expect many would agree, but I would be tempted to start with Konsa for this, again maybe better suited to the opposition.

The rest pick themselves.

I think DS will stick with the team that turned out last weekend, he'll prefer Trez's work rate against good opposition even though he's provides less threat of a goal that AEG. No chance Elmo is getting in ahead of Guilbert. Konsa is the future but Engels for now I think. 

11 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

I think DS will stick with the team that turned out last weekend, he'll prefer Trez's work rate against good opposition even though he's provides less threat of a goal that AEG. No chance Elmo is getting in ahead of Guilbert. Konsa is the future but Engels for now I think. 

I think you're probably right that he will more than likely go with the same side as the one that played Ci£y, I wouldn't have a problem with that, it will be a tough game regardless of what team we put out but hopefully we can give a good account of ourselves.

• Like 1

Yes. The same team for me.

I would hope to see Dean making early subs, if needed, with Henry and AEG getting a chance.

I think we can give them a decent game at VP and would hope for a point plus.  If we play well we could be in with a shout.

I saw something earlier that was predicting a Liverpool CB pairing of Matip & Lovren - good news for us!

5 hours ago, barry'sboots said:

Yes. The same team for me.

I would hope to see Dean making early subs, if needed, with Henry and AEG getting a chance.

I think we can give them a decent game at VP and would hope for a point plus.  If we play well we could be in with a shout.

I saw something earlier that was predicting a Liverpool CB pairing of Matip & Lovren - good news for us!

I think Matip is a excellent centre back, he was a free transfer too 

What’s the solution for beating the relentless Liverpool press? For starters we can’t afford a solitary mistake at the back, that’s a given. We will need to be flawless out from the back where Mings & Engels will have less time on the ball than they’ve been used to. I think we play a style that could cause Liverpool more problems than they’re used to, we have got the ability to move the ball around them and create. My concern is taking the opportunities up front, if we don’t cause their back 4 enough problems then they’ll be on us all game. They go under the radar a bit but two players we must watch are Henderson & Wijnaldum, I think Henderson makes them tick more than he’s given credit for. Firmino in particular is relentless as a front man and he creates an awful lot for them with his pressing and hassling  of defenders all game long. They’re the European champions and current undefeated league leaders, so we’re up against it even if we are flawless. Grealish has to play in this game for us to have a chance, IMO. If he doesn’t I think it’s damage limitation. 

Seems the best strategy against Liverpool is to get in behind the space left by their fullbacks. If Jack's out, El Ghazi & Trez will have to up their game to get something out of this as I would be very surprised if we kept a clean sheet.