Pre-Match thread (Cup Final 11 of 38)

zab6359

4 minutes ago, Hornso said:

Seems the best strategy against Liverpool is to get in behind the space left by their fullbacks. If Jack's out, El Ghazi & Trez will have to up their game to get something out of this as I would be very surprised if we kept a clean sheet.

That is the best way to get at them and something we need to exploit.......................however that leaves gaps left by our full backs and they a pretty good at exploiting those gaps themselves. Going to be an interesting game I can see goals getting scored.

We've faced Liverpool 48 times in the Premier League and our record is 12/10/26, averaging 0.96 Points Per Game whilst scoring 0.96 Goals Per Game and conceding 1.71.

As @abdulaziz1 said most of our success has come at Anfield as we have come away with points in 4 of our last 5 games there. Unfortunately our last victory in the league against them at Villa Park was 2010/11 with a Stewart Downing goal enough to take the points on the last day of the season. Prior to that I think our last win against them in the league at home was 1997/98 which capped off a run of 5 home league victories out of 6 games against them at the commencement of the Premier League.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

A point would be brilliant, but I expect we’ll lose after playing really well all game and then conceding goals late on. 

Saying that, I feel more hopeful about this than the City game. At home, loud atmosphere, you never know. 

I think you have summed it up perfectly, can see another loss but as long as it's not silly goals scored and we put in a performance I will be happy.

• Like 1

I'd play

Heaton

Guilbert---Mings---Engels---Targett

Douglas---Nakamba---McGinn

Trezeguet---Wesley---El Ghazi

I think from the sounds of things, Grealish may start things off on the bench, you never know, if he does, and he comes on in the second half, it could be the lift we need to negate the second half curse we seem to have found ourselves in.

They're a very different side to Man City, and we're at home, so in order for us to win I think we'll have to counter act their high press by getting the ball into their final third as much as we can.

I know Douglas can be complacent, but I think that's a symptom of him learning and adjusting to the pace of things. I do like the diagonal passes he played against Wolves on Wednesday, and with Targett and Guilbert running on to those rather than Taylor and Elmohamady (who to be fair, did very well on Wednesday) I expect them to be the best way to exploit Liverpool and get some success.

The front three will have to be massively switched on, which includes supporting their fullbacks and the midfield because if we are going to win this, it's going to rely on us putting the ball in their net rather than a resolute defensive display (not to say that won't help too :)). But, I'm hoping all three relish the challenge and put lots of pressure on Liverpool's box. I think El Ghazi will fancy a few curling shots from just outside the box and hopefully Trezeguet can put some balls in there that Wesley can get on the end of.

I'm going for quite a high scoring game. I'm going to say 4-2 Villa win :flag:

3 hours ago, useless said:

Liverpool haven't always been convincing this season, it might not come to tomorrow but I feel they're due a bad result, and wouldn't be overly surprised if we got a draw.

Well I hope you're not "expecting" a draw like you did against Man City 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, useless said:

Liverpool haven't always been convincing this season, it might not come to tomorrow but I feel they're due a bad result, and wouldn't be overly surprised if we got a draw.

Same here, but more so...

I don’t think they’ve been convincing, I don’t think they are going to go unbeaten, so their run ends sometime, I see no reason why it can’t be tomorrow.

Whilst it’s easy to predict a defeat, I actually wouldn’t be at all surprised if we Win, so I’m going to predict just that.

Just hope we give a good account of ourselves and fight till the end, any point would be a bonus. Hard to legislate for Mane, Salah, Arnold, Robertson etc. 

In saying that  they're playing man City next week so they might slightly have their eye off the ball. we need to make VP as uncomfortable for them as  possible

Edited by kiltorken