Homophobic Villa fan ejected at home to Brighton

sne

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Wonder what you were calling the ref and VAR on Saturday after the Hourihane goal was disallowed, something that starts with W perhaps? 😉

Wathafugizisshit?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

To be honest my view over the years has been, swearing on the Holte is part and parcel of going to a game, but more moderate language in more family orientated areas. I know there are families on the Holte, but passions run higher there in my opinion and I’d never want to sanitise the support. Songs though can be heard everywhere and in general the c word is often regarded as a step too far for some people. 

I’m certainly not a handwringing snowflake. Perhaps I’m just being an over sensitive c#&t on this one?

word removed is a fantastic word, it's satisfying to say and can be modified in numerously creative ways. People who get offended by it are prudish bores.

• Like 3

Relocated to the upper trinity for this one.
Surrounded by utter plebs.

Sat next to one lad who throughout the entire game was calling everyone words removed, signing we can see you holding hands and referencing "bum boys" to the opposition.

I thought the upper trinity was a placed place, not the back of K5.

I won't be back. Back to the DE for me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Wonder what you were calling the ref and VAR on Saturday after the Hourihane goal was disallowed, something that starts with W perhaps? 😉

I’m not sure you get my point on this. I swear like a trooper, and definitely did on Saturday, but not out loud when my wife and daughter are in earshot. My thing about the My Old Man song, is that do we want that sort of language being used in such a well known club song?

Times are changing, I bet Purslow cringes when he hears it. He wants the image of the club to be crispy clean and we have always been a highly respected club by most of the football world. However it’s hard to sell the club to corporate entities who want to be associated with and promote a modern, wholesome image. Frankly I think football is being taken from the average working man, but it is what it is and to survive we have to be a modern forward thinking club that embraces what the world is and not what it was. Singing that our father is a c#£t to suggest supporting our neighbours, no matter how accurate that may be, doesn’t fit in with the modern world. 

I’ve  worked in the construction and event industries for most of the last 30 years and me and most blokes in those trades could make a sergeant major blush with with our language at times. However there’s not many of us who would use that sort of language in front of our mothers. There’s a time and a place. In the bar maybe but perhaps not in the lounge. I want Villa Park to be loud and intimidating for the opposition, but who of us really wants to explain to our little girl or boy what a c#£t is? (Although it’s always handy to have a picture of Robbie Savage handy if the question should arise). 

3 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

word removed is a fantastic word, it's satisfying to say and can be modified in numerously creative ways. People who get offended by it are prudish bores.

I’m not personally offended by it and agree it does have a certain feel of satisfaction as it leaves the lips. But football grounds are no longer just full of adult blokes. There are women and kids to consider. Although kids on the play ground and women when they get together are probably worse than us!

7 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I was just thinking about that as I was reading the posts........We have to be careful here, not to go too far.

I must admit that decision did rattle my cage......and I still disagree with some pundits after watching it back.

VAR to me does smack of heads you lose tails you lose......maybe we are yet to see it work in our favour.

However, I think you have to be careful with chants that they are not inciting an over reaction from the opposition fans.

I don't want us to be snowflakes, but not riotous either.

Edited by TRO

2 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

I’m not sure you get my point on this. I swear like a trooper, and definitely did on Saturday, but not out loud when my wife and daughter are in earshot. My thing about the My Old Man song, is that do we want that sort of language being used in such a well known club song?

Times are changing, I bet Purslow cringes when he hears it. He wants the image of the club to be crispy clean and we have always been a highly respected club by most of the football world. However it’s hard to sell the club to corporate entities who want to be associated with and promote a modern, wholesome image. Frankly I think football is being taken from the average working man, but it is what it is and to survive we have to be a modern forward thinking club that embraces what the world is and not what it was. Singing that our father is a c#£t to suggest supporting our neighbours, no matter how accurate that may be, doesn’t fit in with the modern world. 

I’ve  worked in the construction and event industries for most of the last 30 years and me and most blokes in those trades could make a sergeant major blush with with our language at times. However there’s not many of us who would use that sort of language in front of our mothers. There’s a time and a place. In the bar maybe but perhaps not in the lounge. I want Villa Park to be loud and intimidating for the opposition, but who of us really wants to explain to our little girl or boy what a c#£t is? (Although it’s always handy to have a picture of Robbie Savage handy if the question should arise). 

I kinda know what you mean Dave.....its not a word in the middle, its at the end and it lingers....its not like you can quickly skip it.

The crowd demographics are changing and you are right more women and kids now attend and it does seem to be a bit in your face.....perhaps the song was designed to be.

Equally. I guess if we had a song with a line that said " Ten thousand Curses" or the equivalent of.......it would quickly drain the testosterone and the opposition, would have a good chuckle.

I suspect the women and kids say under their Breath......" Boys will be boys, won't they"

I have always felt swearing depending on where , when and how it is dispatched takes on a whole different slant......At Football and in a joke, its kind of accepted.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

I understand giving the opposition abuse but this annoying fan was calling our own players c**nts throughout the first half.  All of them were labelled c**’ts at least once in the first half. It was ridiculous. 

As for the homophobic gesture I do wonder what it could have been. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

6 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

Ultimately swearing is just part of football chant culture, it will never change whether it's at a ref, ex player coming back or a rival team.

Pretty sure Man. United sing it aswell about Man. City.

36 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Just a guess but,  remember the small heath who walking around the shop calling Grealish names.

I think that's one for sure.

Don't recall it to be honest......maybe I'm just out of touch but I wouldn't know a homophobic gesture if it hit me in the face........

40 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Don't recall it to be honest......maybe I'm just out of touch but I wouldn't know a homophobic gesture if it hit me in the face........

When Kazim-Richards was found guilty it was described as the following in court: "he mimicked pulling down his shorts and with his left hand behind his back mimicked that he had something in his hand and moved it back and forwards"

He was also found guilty of "backing into Wayne bridge & making a homophobic W***** gesture"

Not sure what the difference between a normal W***** gesture & a homophobic W***** gesture is but it seems that it requires Wayne Bridge..

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 21/10/2019 at 21:59, Vive_La_Villa said:

I understand giving the opposition abuse but this annoying fan was calling our own players c**nts throughout the first half.  All of them were labelled c**’ts at least once in the first half. It was ridiculous. 

As for the homophobic gesture I do wonder what it could have been. 

The word word removed in general seems to have lost its impact in recent years.  I don't think it was allowed on TV until the 90s, now it's fairly frequent.  I even called a colleague a word removed in front of my manager and didn't even get a disciplinary.  So in a song at a ground I don't think it's that bad but as for fans saying it all game I have sympathy with what you say, I hate that kind of constant negativity in general.  It would drive me nuts.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

The word word removed in general seems to have lost its impact in recent years.  I don't think it was allowed on TV until the 90s, now it's fairly frequent.  I even called a colleague a word removed in front of my manager and didn't even get a disciplinary.  So in a song at a ground I don't think it's that bad but as for fans saying it all game I have sympathy with what you say, I hate that kind of constant negativity in general.  It would drive me nuts.  

I agree and as you say It’s not even the word that annoyed me. I have no problem with it. It’s the fact he is giving our players constant abuse when we are actually doing well and winning games! God only knows how he used to react to players in the year we got relegated.

• Like 1

On 22/10/2019 at 13:12, Raver50032 said:

Is it not making one's hand droop and flop? Find John Inman (Are You Being Served) on Youtube and you will start to form a picture of what a mocking, homophobic hand gesture might be.

I was just going to make the exact same point, yes the "limp wrist" gesture would be my guess.

Â