Homophobic Villa fan ejected at home to Brighton

sne

Another proud moment following the Nakamba chants?

Every club will have morons. But it's a bit sad that there are headlines like this yet again around Villa.

Aston Villa fan ejected from Brighton match for homophobic abuse of away fans

Aston Villa beat Brighton 2-1 but a home fan was ejected for homophobic gestures aimed at away supporters

An Aston Villa fan was ejected from their Premier League game against Brighton after directing homophobic gestures at away fans.

A tweet from Aston Villa Police, part of the Football Force Unit for West Midlands Police, revealed action had been taken to remove a supporter at Villa Park.

They wrote on Twitter : "Saddened to say our first ejection of the day for Homophobic gestures towards away fans, c’mon Villa family you’re better than that!"

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/aston-villa-fan-ejected-brighton-20656276

Might not warrant it's own thread but didn't know where to put it.

1 minute ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Does anyone know what he actually did?

I’m probably being thick but I can’t think of much that could be considered a homophobic gesture. Pretending to bum your mate I guess, but I’d be surprised if that got someone kicked out.

That was my first thought as well.

What is a homophobic gesture?

There is a whole debate about this kind of thing in French football where words that could/should be considered homophobic are actually slang that kids use in everyday speech and for them doesn't really have that meaning.

I interpret a homophobic gesture as meaning clearly expressing and directing derogatory remarks, probably using explicit language, toward someone who you wish to offend.

Example, when someone says something thoughtful, kind or heartwarming to you, you might say in return, "that's a lovely gesture".

I assume the word gesture is in that context.

Edited by A'Villan

1 hour ago, sne said:

Another proud moment following the Nakamba chants?

Every club will have morons. But it's a bit sad that there are headlines like this yet again around Villa.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/aston-villa-fan-ejected-brighton-20656276

Might not warrant it's own thread but didn't know where to put it.

I don’t see that as sad. 
Ejecting bigots is good, it being reported is good. The only way it would be sad would be if one took it to imply we are the only Club that has bigots. We aren’t, they all do, if things were working as they should there would be many more stories of people being ejected.

• Like 1

Just now, terrytini said:

I don’t see that as sad. 
Ejecting bigots is good, it being reported is good. The only way it would be sad would be if one took it to imply we are the only Club that has bigots. We aren’t, they all do, if things were working as they should there would be many more stories of people being ejected.

What's sad is that there are still people who act like this, and that there are Villa fans that do so.

• Like 3

Glad action was taken, zero tolerance with this stuff is the only way. However, bit unfair for WMP to comment on the 'Villa Family' as if we are all doing it. It's one fan and he was dealt with. No need to stir up a social media circus.

16 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I wish the guy sitting near me that called our players c**nts for the whole first half was ejected as well. Did my head in. I think the steward had a word though as he seemed to shut up for second half. Either that he or he had one too many by then. 

Since you’ve brought up abusive language, am I the only one who is uncomfortable with the My Old Man song? It’s one of our best known songs and yet I think thousands of fans singing c#&t is just wrong and does us no credit. I’m not a prude and I’ve often used terrible language at games. You can understand why over the last 10 years! But that’s just frustration spur of the moment stuff and I try to keep it down, especially if there are kids and ladies near. 

In these modern times when we’re trying to be a forward thinking all inclusive club I don’t think that there’s a place for a song with the C word included. It’s too late to change it obviously, so just drop the song. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

Since you’ve brought up abusive language, am I the only one who is uncomfortable with the My Old Man song? It’s one of our best known songs and yet I think thousands of fans singing c#&t is just wrong and does us no credit. I’m not a prude and I’ve often used terrible language at games. You can understand why over the last 10 years! But that’s just frustration spur of the moment stuff and I try to keep it down, especially if there are kids and ladies near. 

In these modern times when we’re trying to be a forward thinking all inclusive club I don’t think that there’s a place for a song with the C word included. It’s too late to change it obviously, so just drop the song. 

not a problem with it myself, plenty of chants with naughty language in them

the homophobic thing - would be interesting to see how often this happens in games vs brighton, I would guess a lot, it can only be within the last 5 or 10 years that full chants existed alluding to the city's stereotype and with that in mind you would like to think its an isolated incident due to who were playing, I know ultimately they want to eradicate stuff like "get up you puff" but I think that's a long way off, same as a lot of negatives under the football microscope its a society at large issue finding its way in to football stadiums rather than a football problem

8 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that song.

There should be zero tolerance when it comes to racism and homophobia but dropping a well known song because it has the 'c word' in is far too snowflakey for my liking.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that song.

There should be zero tolerance when it comes to racism and homophobia but dropping a well known song because it has the 'c word' in is far too snowflakey for my liking.

To be honest my view over the years has been, swearing on the Holte is part and parcel of going to a game, but more moderate language in more family orientated areas. I know there are families on the Holte, but passions run higher there in my opinion and I’d never want to sanitise the support. Songs though can be heard everywhere and in general the c word is often regarded as a step too far for some people. 

I’m certainly not a handwringing snowflake. Perhaps I’m just being an over sensitive c#&t on this one?

There's nothing like the ephemeral beauty of catching a snowflake and watching it melt on your hand, or watching them land on the pavement to see if they melt or form snow. That's the true meaning of snowflakes.

WTF is a homophobic gesture!?

At a guess I'd say this is banter gone too far maybe? Brighton for years has had an unofficial title as the gay capital of Britain, perhaps it centred on that but went a step too far, or maybe it didn't even go a step too far and it was an OTT reaction from security?

I don't know, just find the concept of a homophobic gesture strange as I'm not aware of any.

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

To be honest my view over the years has been, swearing on the Holte is part and parcel of going to a game, but more moderate language in more family orientated areas. I know there are families on the Holte, but passions run higher there in my opinion and I’d never want to sanitise the support. Songs though can be heard everywhere and in general the c word is often regarded as a step too far for some people. 

I’m certainly not a handwringing snowflake. Perhaps I’m just being an over sensitive c#&t on this one?

Wonder what you were calling the ref and VAR on Saturday after the Hourihane goal was disallowed, something that starts with W perhaps? 😉

Â