Do you read?

Luke_W

47 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I rarely watch tv now. There are some decent tv shows, series, films, but I’d rather read for a couple of hours than watch anything on tv. 

We've sort of realised the tv is often on, but not actually watched.

It's a habit we've spotted and are working on.

Wifey reads at a ferocious pace, me not so much. I'm on only my 4th book of the year, with one of those having been binned off half way through. I'd picked up a copy of 'The shortest history of europe', which should actually have been called 'what an australian thinks is european history is actually a list of english kings and queens'.

I'm on page 1 of Max Hastings book on Vietnam. 

So it appears I don't read often, but when I do, I'm currently all about the historical / factual giant doorstop of a book. I'll read something hefty in a couple of weeks and then nothing for a couple of months.

48066132971_981b01f151_n.jpg

• Like 2

I particularly liked the last of those 100 quotations. This is me to a 'T': 

“Of course anyone who truly loves books buys more of them than he or she can hope to read in one fleeting lifetime. A good book, resting unopened in its slot on a shelf, full of majestic potentiality, is themost comforting sort of intellectual wallpaper.” 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I particularly liked the last of those 100 quotations. This is me to a 'T': 

“Of course anyone who truly loves books buys more of them than he or she can hope to read in one fleeting lifetime. A good book, resting unopened in its slot on a shelf, full of majestic potentiality, is themost comforting sort of intellectual wallpaper.” 

I have seven books on the book shelf that I’m yet to read. I totally get what you mean when in the latter part of your post . I’m finding great comfort in reading at the moment, and the thought of reading other books. 

• Like 1

got two non fic on the go at the moment. 

844124._UY630_SR1200,630_.jpg 

Which is well paced and easy to read. Popular rather than academic mercifully. 

And thanks to the TV series, I've picked up a book on Chernobyl which only came out last year - again really well written, researched and engaging:

Dr-hjRbXgAE5NeR.jpg

It's so depressing and alarming how close even greater tragedy was. 

Fiction, on a light read at the moment to break up the above, having just finished Terry Pratchett's The Pyramids ( working my way through Discworld in order, only one I've read outside of the order is Guards Guards, which I think is next up anyway, happily enough as that is so good.) Now picked up an lovely edition of Around the World in 80 Days - one of those pocket sized mini versions, with faux gold trimmings on the page ends. 

“In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you.” – Mortimer J. Adler

That is definitely something I have worked on, I used to get anxious sometimes about needing to get through unread books ( also applied to unseen TV shows etc ). Very relevant in the age of culture overload. ( He says having just noted in the post above he's reading 3 different books 😕 ) 

3 hours ago, Rodders said:

got two non fic on the go at the moment. 

844124._UY630_SR1200,630_.jpg 

Which is well paced and easy to read. Popular rather than academic mercifully. 

And thanks to the TV series, I've picked up a book on Chernobyl which only came out last year - again really well written, researched and engaging:

Dr-hjRbXgAE5NeR.jpg

It's so depressing and alarming how close even greater tragedy was. 

Fiction, on a light read at the moment to break up the above, having just finished Terry Pratchett's The Pyramids ( working my way through Discworld in order, only one I've read outside of the order is Guards Guards, which I think is next up anyway, happily enough as that is so good.) Now picked up an lovely edition of Around the World in 80 Days - one of those pocket sized mini versions, with faux gold trimmings on the page ends. 

I've picked up "Chernobyl Prayer" ("Voices of Chernobyl" in the US I believe) as a result of the TV show too. Probably read it on holiday in a few weeks.

On 16/06/2019 at 01:30, Rugeley Villa said:

I have seven books on the book shelf that I’m yet to read.

Amateur 😋

I have 48 on the shelf, plus god knows how many more sitting on my kindle!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MrDuck said:

Amateur 😋

I’ve only just started reading again the last few months. Do you think you’ll get through them ? 😀

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I’ve only just started reading again the last few months. Do you think you’ll get through them ? 😀

Nope.

Well, yes... but by the time I get through these, probably twice as many more will have been purchased in the meantime. Realistically my only hope is a financial windfall, enabling me to stop working and spend more time reading. But even then, I suspect I'd simply buy even more books. There is no hope for me.

• Like 2

buying books in and of itself is a pleasure. That sense of anticipation, and fleshing out the bookshelf. I am trying to rein it in a bit as I've had some bought books, unread for several years now, as other books inevitably jump ahead in the queue. One thing I've done is wrapped up a few books, operating on the theory, that if I want to treat myself, I can just open one of those "presents" there instead of buying new ones. It hasn't worked. Definitely hoping for a financial windfall 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MrDuck said:

Amateur 😋

Well over a hundred unread on my bedside bookcase (the 'short list') alone. Hundreds more around the house. I am 65, so if I'm lucky (not a given) I won't get anywhere near reading them all. And I keep buying more. They make me happy. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Well over a hundred unread on my bedside bookcase (the 'short list') alone. Hundreds more around the house. I am 65, so if I'm lucky (not a given) I won't get anywhere reading them all. And I keep buying more. They make me happy. 

Yep, give me 19 more years and I suspect I'll be in a similar position!

• Like 1

On 18/06/2019 at 19:15, mjmooney said:

Well over a hundred unread on my bedside bookcase (the 'short list') alone. Hundreds more around the house. I am 65, so if I'm lucky (not a given) I won't get anywhere near reading them all. And I keep buying more. They make me happy. 

There's a local bookstore that I go to which makes me happy. So much so that I will donate the very books that I purchased from them back to the store.

Unless of course I plan on reading or referencing the book again in future. Libraries and bookstores are cornerstones of sharing wisdom, knowledge and experience.

Must be supported and not taken for granted!

I'm reading a book on sociology at the moment. It's interesting stuff, fascinating even.

• 5 weeks later...

Has anyone read "Ticket To The Moon" - the rise and fall of AVFC ? A great read (IMO), author is not judgemental about Doug - but some of the players are ! Very interesting if you were following them back then and interesting stories: e.g. it seems Keown was not popular with his team mates  and Billy McNeil was considered a bit of a joke. I have  mate who works at Bodymoor and he told me about "Bingo" ! some years ago. If you've read it , what did you think ...... and Ellis ... a force for good or evil ?

• Thanks 1

Really enjoying "Born to Run", Springsteen's autobiography. Very engaging writing style, reminiscent of his lyrics, and incomparably better than Neil Young's equivalent effort. 

Â