Do you read?

Luke_W

On 18/01/2019 at 08:03, mjmooney said:

Keeping this thread going, singlehanded. On to... 

memoirs_of_hadrian.jpg

Well, that was good. I bought that exact edition, secondhand, when I was a teenager, but never got around to reading it until now. I think if I'd tried to read it back then, I'd have found it slow and dull, and would probably have given up. Reading it  as a 65 year old, however, the (fictionalised) musings and reflections of a dying Roman emperor make a lot more sense. Anyhoo, from the imagined past, to the imagined future, with a bit of fantasy/SF: 

IMG_20190220_132023.jpg

Edited by mjmooney

• 1 month later...

Well, the LeGuin was an odd one. I'm a big fan of some of her books (The Left Hand of Darkness, The Dispossessed), but this one fell short for me. Set in a far future California, it's a sort of utopian vision of native American-style ecological collectivism, written as a pseudo-anthropological study, with maps, poems, songs, recipes, etc. It all gets a bit tiresome after a while, which is a shame because there IS a narrative novel buried in amongst it all, that could have been expanded to a better book in its own right. 

Anyway, it was then onto a quick re-read of an old favourite: 

s-l300.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm about to read this, even though I already know the small part I played in this story isn't in the book. In fact the entire tour is particularly glossed over (Because apparently everyone in the band hated that tour and MES at that point)

71SLFOeqWZL.jpg

Just finished this

Image result for our city migrants and the making of modern birmingham

This positive story of integration is all too rarely told, and it offers a firm defence of the principles of equality and increased diversity. Our City shows why mixed, open societies are the way forward for twenty-first-century cities, and how migrants help modern Britain not only survive but prosper.

A very interesting read 

• Like 1

Well, the Boyd started off very promisingly, but rather fizzled out at the end. And so onto a re-read, and the first of the very long ones. Volume one of Anthony Powell's twelve-volume "A Dance to the Music of Time". 

6c1a7e20a6014069cf50c6c93ee6e702.jpg

3 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

How long does it usually take you to read a book mike. 

Depends on how long it is.  :)

The William Boyd was about 300 pages, and an easy read. Maybe ten days. 

Back in the 1990s, I read Marcel Proust's A La Recherche du Temps Perdu (3000 densely packed pages). That took me a full year. 

But that's only the fiction. As I've said in this thread before, I always have several non-fiction books on the go. Because I only read a few pages at a time, they can take years (or in some cases, decades). 

EDIT: I haven't yet decided whether to read the 12 book Powell series straight through, or to intersperse a few other things (which would obviously increase the lead time). 

Edited by mjmooney

5 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Depends on how long it is.  :)

The William Boyd was about 300 pages, and an easy read. Maybe ten days. 

Back in the 1990s, I read Marcel Proust's A La Recherche du Temps Perdu (3000 densely packed pages). That took me a full year. 

But that's only the fiction. As I've said in this thread before, I always have several non-fiction books on the go. Because I only read a few pages at a time, they can take years (or in some cases, decades). 

EDIT: I haven't yet decided whether to read the 12 book Powell series straight through, or to intersperse a few other things (which would obviously increase the lead time). 

I get easily frustrated with books because I just don’t get the free time I’d like to read. The only chance I get is at night when the kids are in bed.  I do prefer reading in bed though. I can’t leave it too long between reading either, because I just end up losing interest with the book. Would love to really get into reading though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bought this last weekend from a second hand bookshop. Not sure what to expect, and suspect it may be a bit patchy. I have read one of his other books before which was good. 

49BAA23E-AB84-4159-8D66-365E70E0CDA7.jpeg

Edited by Rugeley Villa
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm reading Petersburg by Andrei bely, I haven't finished it yet, but it's one of the best and most imaginative novels that I've ever read, it's an early example of the modernist genre, and it reminds me of books like Ulysses, and Manhattan Transfer, although it's not as difficult to read as the former, I think it's also good if you like Russian literature in general as well. Nabokov declared it one of the masterpices of twentieth century literature.

8 hours ago, useless said:

I'm reading Petersburg by Andrei bely, I haven't finished it yet, but it's one of the best and most imaginative novels that I've ever read, it's an early example of the modernist genre, and it reminds me of books like Ulysses, and Manhattan Transfer, although it's not as difficult to read as the former, I think it's also good if you like Russian literature in general as well. Nabokov declared it one of the masterpices of twentieth century literature.

It's on my list. 

• 2 weeks later...
Â