Do you read?

Luke_W

On 03/10/2019 at 22:25, sharkyvilla said:

11/22/63 is my favourite Stephen King book of the ones I've read, it gives an interesting twist to the Kennedy assassination.

And, rather oddly for a King novel (definitely so for a recent one) it has a really good ending. 

• 2 weeks later...

Bought a couple of "how to raise a dog" books, as I've got no clue, but I feel filthy. Got to read these and bin them, just can't keep this crap in my shelves.

It's like bought a couple of signs for my home that said LOVE and HOME. Embarrassing doesn't cut it. 

1 hour ago, useless said:

I'm trying to read more short stories so read Diary of a Madman by Gogol, which I thought was very good, can see why he's seen as such an influential author in Russia.

Yeah, it's brilliant. Have you read "The Nose"? Utterly wacky. 

No, I thought Diary of a Madman was the first of his that I've read, but searching his name on this forum apparently I've also read 'The Mantle', although I've got no recollection of it, but I guess I must have. I'll read that one again along with The Nose, and probably 'Dead Souls' at some point.

• Like 1

Looking forward to reading Acid For The Children by Flea the chilli peppers bassist.

rather refreshingly surprising, it’s supposed to be more about his youth and upbringing rather than RHCP

its on my Xmas list so will have to wait until then (or most likely post Christmas when I have to buy it for myself and make do with being given another framed picture of the kids!) 

On 08/10/2019 at 21:50, Rodders said:

Yesterday I just picked up The Man In The High Castle. Never read Philip Dick before, but the whim seemed to take my fancy this time. 

Also have Adam Kay's "This Is Going to Hurt" his diaries about life as a junior doctor as the easy read to flick through option and it is both hilarious and enraging at the same time. 

Really enjoyed both of those. Ending to the former was slightly abrupt but it was fascinating and Adam Kay's book ought to be mandatory reading for anyone with thoughts on the NHS. 

Just finished Tana French's In the Woods - which is partly what the BBC Dublin Murders show was based on. Very frustrating book - well written and the characters are so engagingly drawn that for me the missteps she takes - or rather than the lack of sufficient justification to explain - outcomes that occur inthe final third of the book, I felt very disappointed. Part of it felt like dramatic contrivance for the sake of it. 

Nothing as intellectual as most of those above BUT .... Villa related. 'Gray Matters' by the obvious; my goodness he didn't like Saunders. I had heard there was friction between RS and some 'high profile' players but  didn't realise it was quite so vitriolic. A good read IMO.

I've read the first two books of Hermann Broch's Sleepwalker's trilogy, but it started losing me a bit towards the end of the second book, so having a break from that. Now reading 'Who Was Changed and Who Was Dead' by Barbara Comyns, and some short stories by Amparo Dávila, both of which are very good and I'm surprised the authors aren't more well known.

Edited by useless

5 hours ago, A'Villan said:

Just a 50pg article from the American Psychological Association titled, "The Role of Deliberate Practice in the Acquisition of Expert Performance"

That actually sounds quite interesting. 

• Like 1

Â