Do you read?

Luke_W

15 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Does anyone else periodically google 'Winds of Winter' in hopeful optimism just looking for the slightest hint of a release date? 

No. But I do for "David Kynaston, Opportunity Britain". 

Recently finished Berlin Blues - 

It's 1989 and, whenever he isn't hanging out in the local bars, Herr Lehmann lives entirely free of responsibility in the bohemian Berlin district of Kreuzberg. Through years of judicious sidestepping and heroic indolence, this barman has successfully avoided the demands of parents, landlords, neighbours and women. But suddenly one unforeseen incident after another seems to threaten his idyllic and rather peaceable existence. He has an encounter with a decidedly unfriendly dog, his parents threaten to descend on Berlin from the provinces, and he meets a dangerously attractive woman who throws his emotional life into confusion.

Berlin Blues is a richly entertaining evocation of life in the city and a classic of modern-day decadence

And it was that, a breezy read, but very entertaining. Now reading The Secret Barrister's book on how **** up the law and the legal system is 😕

I don't usually set reading targets like read fifty or an hundred books or whatever, but I did say I would try and read more in general and more than the twelve books that I read last year, this is what I've read...

Flush: A Biography - Virginia Woolf
Who Was Changed and Who Was Dead - Barbara Comyns
Petersburg - Andrei Bely
The Romantic and The Anarchist  from the Sleepwalkers Trilogy - Herman Broch
Villette - charlotte Brontë
At Swim Two Birds - Flann O'Brien
The Little Prince - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
The Double - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov...

About halfway through The Confusions of Young Törless by Robert Musil so will probably have finished that and maybe one more by the end of December, I have read some short stories as well here and there, but pretty much failed with trying to read more than last year. Of the ones on the list I liked them all but wasn't that keen on Lolita which I got bored with as it went on, and the Herman Broch was heavy going for me, but will finish the final part at some point as there were aspects of it I really liked. Villette and Petersburg are two of the best novels I've read, or at least two I've enjoyed the most.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

I don't usually set reading targets like read fifty or an hundred books or whatever, but I did say I would try and read more in general and more than the twelve books that I read last year, this is what I've read...

Flush: A Biography - Virginia Woolf
Who Was Changed and Who Was Dead - Barbara Comyns
Petersburg - Andrei Bely
The Romantic and The Anarchist  from the Sleepwalkers Trilogy - Herman Broch
Villette - charlotte Brontë
At Swim Two Birds - Flann O'Brien
The Little Prince - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
The Double - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov...

About halfway through The Confusions of Young Törless by Robert Musil so will probably have finished that and maybe one more by the end of December, I have read some short stories as well here and there, but pretty much failed with trying to read more than last year. Of the ones on the list I liked them all but wasn't that keen on Lolita which I got bored with as it went on, and the Herman Broch was heavy going for me, but will finish the final part at some point as there were aspects of it I really liked. Villette and Petersburg are two of the best novels I've read, or at least two I've enjoyed the most.

Good list. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

I know I’m unlikely to read anything on topic for the rest of the year :( 

Go and have a look. Lots of balanced views and everyone is respecting each others opinion. Brave new world! ;) 

• Haha 3

On 28/12/2019 at 16:54, chrisp65 said:

Given the footy results, I thought I’d cheer myself up with my new book about the death of 75 million people.

49288183027_6055712a8a_w.jpg

Spoiler

So, turns out our arch nemesis is not Iraq, it’s not cancer, it’s not even asteroids.

It’s ducks.

Every **** time some pandemic wipes out millions of us.... ducks.

Russian flu, Spanish flu, Asian flu, Bird flu, SARS ... ducks.

Apparently, typically, ducks have around 100 strains of flu virus in their intestines at any one time, shitting them out in rivers and ponds and in fields by horses, pigs and chickens. Every now and again, they shit out a strain that doesn’t need a transition host, every now and again they manage to shit out one that can plug straight in to us.

Ducks.

I have been struggling to find time to read so have signed up to Audible. I spend a lot of time in the car and this seems to be the best way to catch up on my reading. Tried it this morning, my first experience of an audio book, and it seems like the way forward to me. 

6 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I have been struggling to find time to read so have signed up to Audible. I spend a lot of time in the car and this seems to be the best way to catch up on my reading. Tried it this morning, my first experience of an audio book, and it seems like the way forward to me. 

I love Audible, and I've used it for ages, but it still seems ludicrously expensive to me.

£8 a month for one book.

In the days of having Netflix for the same amount where you can stream as much content as you want for as long as you want, £8 for one single book is ridiculous imo.

That being said you're right, it's a great way to fill dead time spent in the car. My commute is split between Audible and podcasts these days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I love Audible, and I've used it for ages, but it still seems ludicrously expensive to me.

£8 a month for one book.

In the days of having Netflix for the same amount where you can stream as much content as you want for as long as you want, £8 for one single book is ridiculous imo.

That being said you're right, it's a great way to fill dead time spent in the car. My commute is split between Audible and podcasts these days.

Especially considering how ludicrously bad lots of the productions are. I’m not involved in the industry maybe it’s a lot more expensive than we think but it’s difficult to see why it should be so expensive.

I've only listened to one audiobook which was Ten Days in a Mad-House by Nellie Bly, which I downloaded for free from librevox, as it's in the public domain. I liked it, thought that the reader did a really good job and the story itself was quite interesting. But prefer reading as that way it's easier for me to follow what's going on, and go back over things, as I often need to.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, useless said:

I've only listened to one audiobook which was Ten Days in a Mad-House by Nellie Bly, which I downloaded for free from librevox, as it's in the public domain. I liked it, thought that the reader did a really good job and the story itself was quite interesting. But prefer reading as that way it's easier for me to follow what's going on, and go back over things, as I often need to.

Libravox is frustrating. It's free, but only a few of the readers are any good. Some are really awful. 

Â