Do you read?

Luke_W

Just started The Moonstone. Shaping up to be a cracker.

Who is it by and what is it about??

(looking for a new read!)

The Moonstone (1868) by Wilkie. Collins is a 19th-century British epistolary novel, generally considered the first detective novel in the English language. The story was originally serialised in Charles Dickens' magazine All the Year Round. The Moonstoneand The Woman in White are considered Wilkie Collins' best novels. Besides creating many of the ground rules of the detective novel, The Moonstone also reflected Collins' enlightened social attitudes in his treatment of the servants in the novel.

Don't be put off by the Dickens connection; I detest Dickens - this is much better. Very funny in parts, too.

(The precis above is from Wikipedia - struggling to quote sensibly using my phone).

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm reading the 'The Book of Disquiet' by Fernando Pessoa a good book so far, described as a 'factless autobiography' although it's not like one of those I don't think. It's sort of a series of random observations about himself and his environment.

Finished Keane's first book before I start the latest one. Currently reading The Wilson Project which paints a fascinating but scary picture of Brian then he was being controlled by evil Dr Landy

Gone for the first and second Game of Thrones books, I've always managed to avoid the spoilers so I'm going into it with no clue or idea of what is going to happen in it

Pick up the third one too. It's one of my favourite books ever, it's certainly the best in the Song of Ice and Fire series (so far) but a lot of the pleasure in it are the payoffs from things set up in the first two. Avoid any discussion until you have read them, the potential for massive spoilers is a very real thing.

Â