Cameron Archer

Zatman

3 hours ago, Tom13 said:

What kind of bizarre deal is it to agree to re-sign someone if they're relegated?

We wouldn't take him back if they had stayed up. The deal was fine, Sheff just ended up paying for an expensive loan. We will probably ship him out again either way.

2 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

Possibly a FFP loophole. When archer was sold the whole transfer fee was treated as immediate income. The buyback is amortised so the fee is spread over the length of the contact. It's smart business as we effectively get a loan fee, experience for the player and a positive net value for ffp.

Exactly this. We booked +18.5m in this year's accounts. If we keep him next season after buying him back for 14m on 4 year deal it'll cost us 3.5m per season plus wages. 

6 hours ago, The_Steve said:

We wouldn't take him back if they had stayed up. 

I'm still not convinced about this anyway. Sheffield chairman was very selective with his statement. 

Archer will be fine and we’ll easily secure either another loan or a permanent transfer for him. He can score goals and has proven this certainly in the Championship, as well as Premier League level.

I still think he’d be a good fit for Leicester with Vardy still undecided on what to do with himself, but Leicester may have bigger ideas. Quite a few Championship teams will have some money as well this summer, with Blackburn having sold Wharton and Szmodics likely to leave for a sizeable fee. Boro have the Rogers fee to use, Albion, Norwich and Hull could certainly do with a decent forward to enhance promotion hopes and Plymouth are likely to sell Whittaker for a sizeable fee, who we seem to have a good relationship with. 

• Like 2

On 17/05/2024 at 23:42, CarryOnVilla said:

Such a shame he had a poor season with Sheffield… I was hoping he’d improve showcase his ability 

4 prem goals in 30 games isn't that terrible. Sheffield were completely hopeless for pretty much all of the season and after Wilder came in he was generally played wide in the front line.

It's similar stats to Duran here.

Be interesting to see his next move. Palace I think would be a good one if they sell Eduoard as then he's in direct competition with Mateta and would also have potentially Olise and Eze creating for him so that would be exciting move for where he is in his career.

1,772 minutes is about twenty games worth of football, four goals and an assist in that amount of game time in one of the worst teams in Premier League history isn't actually that bad. If he had the same amount of game time in our team, or even just an average Premier League team, he would probably get double figures based on that.Kind of reminds me of Tammy Abrahams numbers at Swansea in the PL, they didn't look great at first glance, but on closer look they weren't that, and in a better team no surprise he did a lot better.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

£8-£10m maybe?

I think more than that just based on the fact he’d comfortably score 20 in a Championship season and we can assume 7-10 in a decent PL side (given that he got 4 in one of the worst sides ever). He’s still just 22 - I want to be clear I am not saying here that he will ever be as good as Watkins, but Watkins was scoring 8 goals in a League Two season at Archer’s age.

6 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

(Given that he got 4 in one of the worst sides ever).

I don't think you can just separate him for that team as if he wasn't part of it. Cameron Archer was one of the reasons why Sheffield United were one of the worst Premier league sides ever.

Duran is one of the best young strikers in the world and is much better suited as striker to our system than Archer. Archer isn't as good as Duran, but can still have a decent career at a decent level.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, useless said:

Duran is one of the best young strikers in the world and is much better suited as striker to our system than Archer. Archer isn't as good as Duran, but can still have a decent career at a decent level.

Is he ? Or are we talking potential ? I would like him to stay and see how he develops - but I honestly don’t think I would call him one of the best young strikers in the world., surely if this were the case, he would be getting more minutes ? Agree that Archer can have a decent career too 👍🏻

Edited by ChesterDad

Posted (edited)

There can't be many strikers in the world under twenty one that are having the affect Duran is having at a level as good as the Premier League, and have shown they can do it and Europe, and on the international stage. He's both already very good and also with potential to get even better, he's unlucky he's behind Watkins, a lot of other Premier League teams he would be first choice, and remember this at the age of twenty

I like Archer, in a better team than Sheffield United will get more goals at least, but if Duran was to leave, we would have to bring in another top player to replace him, I suspect would be another youngster of a similar profile

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

I'd say Archer is more like a Dwight Gayle type player. 

Decent in the championship but found wanting at PL level, albeit playing in a very poor side 

Â