Cameron Archer

Zatman

5 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

What do you actually mean with this talk of physicality? Are you saying that he's not big and strong enough?

He will easily match Watkins in that department given some time, players start to bulk as they get into their 20s.

It's not just size and strength, but also durability. Watkins is a thoroughbred athlete which sets him apart.

His goal yesterday, he got the opportunity because McBurnie gave it to him, if he was the lone striker he does not have that chance. He is made for the second striker role, not the lone striker.

Edited by luckyeddie

1 minute ago, luckyeddie said:

It's not just size and strength, but also durability. Watkins is a thoroughbred athlete which sets him apart.

That comes as players mature, that is a normal part of football. Watkins has 6 years on him.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

Its basically one of those things that has been repeated over and over on VT and is now taken as gospel on here, with very little basis in reality

I mean case in point, the own goal yesterday was him creating a goal out of nothing. 

But on the Internet, once a narrative has been established it just rolls on. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tom13 said:

MOTD - praise Beto (0 goals), praise Pickford (1 own goal), not one mention of Archer 🤣🤣

Beto did look very good but still.

I know. I thought that absolutely bizarre. On his debut as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, luckyeddie said:

Cameron does not fit our system. He needs a striking partner, like McBurnie to do the donkey work. He may well be successful at other clubs, but I cannot ever see him make it here with Unai in charge. We cannot revolve our system around a player who isn't physical enough to play 95% of our games. I think it is just that he is a good CF, but not for us.

Who did his donkey work yesterday when he cut inside a defender and curled the ball against the post from outside the box? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Who did his donkey work yesterday when he cut inside a defender and curled the ball against the post from outside the box? 

Hamer with the flick through?  Archer's strengths, from the little I've seen of him, seem to be running into space and finishing.  Both were highlighted in the goals yesterday.

Back to goal, fighting off defenders etc he just doesn't do.  It's not his game.

• Like 1

Here's a comment from the Blades forum, by the way:

"Gonna be slightly critical, Archer on the ball wasn’t too great, looked weak and definitely needs to work on his game when he’s on the ball. 2 great goal involvements though and looks like a great player. UTB"

8 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Pickford 😁

Again McBurnie because if CA was up on his own he wouldn't have dropped so deep to collect it, but busy occupying the three defenders.

3 hours ago, tezzaleed said:

however what I really wanted to check is whether anyone has actually reported there is a buy back clause or is it just a rumour.

Given Emery has said "Villa want control over players futures", or something to that ilk, in eight million interviews, I think it's okay to assume we have a buy back clause.

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

Here's a comment from the Blades forum, by the way:

"Gonna be slightly critical, Archer on the ball wasn’t too great, looked weak and definitely needs to work on his game when he’s on the ball. 2 great goal involvements though and looks like a great player. UTB"

I was on same forum earlier and your extract is somewhat selective.......the vast majority made no such comments and were way more complimentary about Archer's performance and contribution.

25 minutes ago, Dillon66 said:

I was on same forum earlier and your extract is somewhat selective.......the vast majority made no such comments and were way more complimentary about Archer's performance and contribution.

I'm not saying they didn't, it just highlighted how other fans also see that he needs to work on the ball.  It's not a go at Archer.

The majority of posts from what I remember were basically "get in son" type things rather than assessing him, by the way.

4 hours ago, luckyeddie said:

Yeah, I've seen him play. But he wasn't the single CF at Boro. Premier League defenders will bully him on his own. Ollie and Duran are units and have the physical attributes, I just don't see archer in that mould.

By that same logic that’s why Watkins will never be in the England squad until Kane retires. As Kane is a similar striker and role

1 hour ago, Tommo_b said:

Guarantee this won’t happen, even if you had him in the exact same Villa team. 

Given the side he’s gone to he should get nowhere near Watkins. If he gets half the goals it will be very good. 

17 hours ago, kidlewis said:

Given the side he’s gone to he should get nowhere near Watkins. If he gets half the goals it will be very good. 

18 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

Guarantee this won’t happen, even if you had him in the exact same Villa team. 

He's had 3 fewer games and is already ahead of him. I don't think it's unreasonable to say he might outscore him.

Unlikely, maybe, but on evidence so far, its absolutely possible he will get near the same total.

That's not a dig at Watkins  nor is it a sign that Archer should 100% be signed back if he does.

Archer's in a team built around the forward scoring goals,  Watkins is in a team that has scored 8 goals in 4 games, none of which were scored by the striker.

36 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

He's had 3 fewer games and is already ahead of him. I don't think it's unreasonable to say he might outscore him.

Unlikely, maybe, but on evidence so far, its absolutely possible he will get near the same total.

That's not a dig at Watkins  nor is it a sign that Archer should 100% be signed back if he does.

Archer's in a team built around the forward scoring goals,  Watkins is in a team that has scored 8 goals in 4 games, none of which were scored by the striker.

Duran scored 😜

• Like 1

Â