Cameron Archer

Zatman

11 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

On loan would be my guess. If he does stay then yes, the ECL is where he would get minutes, but I certainly wouldn't expect him to play every game in the competition. We need to be going full strength at times and especially in the latter stages should we get there.

I’m pretty confident Watkins will not be playing every minute of the play off/group stage games. I guess we need to see what other attackers villa sign first but I’d be surprised if Archer is not given plenty of game time in the ECL.

In regards to going on loan, surely it can’t be another Championship club. Gotta be a bottom half Premier League team surely but even then it would be January at the earliest? Unless the club sign another striker of course. 

4 minutes ago, RichW said:

I’m pretty confident Watkins will not be playing every minute of the play off/group stage games. I guess we need to see what other attackers villa sign first but I’d be surprised if Archer is not given plenty of game time in the ECL.

In regards to going on loan, surely it can’t be another Championship club. Gotta be a bottom half Premier League team surely but even then it would be January at the earliest? Unless the club sign another striker of course. 

Of course Watkins won't play every minute.

As I said, if Archer doesn't go out on loan then that's where he will get some minutes but I don't expect him to be here and even if he is, he won't play every game.

29 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

I just don't see the Defoe comparison apart from his size. More of a Callum Wilson than Defoe imo 

Its in the way he strikes the ball

His goal vs israel the other night, the way he leathered it from there and the technique, back lift etc etc all screamed defoe to me

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

Of course Watkins won't play every minute.

As I said, if Archer doesn't go out on loan then that's where he will get some minutes but I don't expect him to be here and even if he is, he won't play every game.

What makes you think he won’t be here? I mean even for the UEFA squad quota I’d be surprised if his not kept to go towards the club trained players which we are not blessed with when it comes to the first team. Surely if the club do decide loan him out again it becomes a case is he really good enough for Villa?

I’d like to think if Villa are comfortable during a conference league game the obvious sub to make would be Watkins for Archer. Looking at just the play off round, both games are followed by away trips to Burnley and Liverpool. Surely Emery would look to get Watkins off early if Villa are comfortable. 

4 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

For me, I've still got Duran ahead of him at the moment.

Really?!

I think Archer would have scored if he was given the number of minutes Duran had. Also probably would have got an assist.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Really?!

I think Archer would have scored if he was given the number of minutes Duran had. Also probably would have got an assist.

To be fair, Duran was 3 inches away from scoring what would have been our goal of the season against Man City of all teams. 

I firmly believe that had that gone in, he would have started a game for us and things may have gone very differently. 

• Like 1

Duran has played less than a game and half worth of footballf for us, Archer would have done well to get a a goal and assist in that time, he may well have done, but he's not like some machine that scores every game and every chance, does miss chances, and does go on runs of games where he doesn't score, he's gone fifteen games where he scored just two, and that's at Championship level.

Also Duran is two years younger than Archer, Duran has played Major League football, Premier League football, and senior international football at the same age or young than Archer was when playing for Solihull.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, useless said:

Duran has played less than a game and half worth of footballf for us, Archer would have done well to get a a goal and assist in that time, he may well have done, but he's not like some machine that scores every game and every chance, does miss chances, and does go on runs of games where he doesn't score, he's gone fifteen games where he scored just two, and that's at Championship level.

Also Duran is two years younger than Archer, Duran has played Major League football, Premier League football, and senior international football at the same age or young than Archer was when playing for Solihull.

Yeah, totally unfair to compare the two as you allude to. I would keep Archer and maybe loan out Duran personally, as a season of regular football would do him wonders 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, useless said:

Duran PL minutes came when Archer should have have been getting them so you can't include them in a comparison of who would have used them better. 

MLS is no better than championship quality, possibly worse, and Archer has looked better in the championship than Duran did in MLS.

Those extra two years age and the familiarity Archer has with the English game comfortably give him the edge for me.

I'm not even sure Duran and Archer are in direct competition with each other, people talk about Archer as the back-up to Watkins but Archer never plays the role that Watkins does for us and as such I don't think he would be Watins understudy, he might replace him in games, but if Watkins was to get injured then we would have to change the way we play if Archer was the only alternative, as he's not the kind of striker that plays through the middle and holds the ball up for others, I haven't seen as much as Duran but he looks the more natural replacement for Watkins, not because he's better than Archer or not, but because he looks more suited to that role.

So I'd see Watkins and Duran as more the choices for the striker through the middle role, and Archer more as wide forward/second striker option.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, useless said:

I'm not even sure Duran and Archer are in direct competition with each other, people talk about Archer as the back-up to Watkins but Archer never plays the role that Watkins does for us and as such I don't think he would be Watins understudy, he might replace him in games, but if Watkins was to get injured then we would have to change the way we play if Archer was the only alternative, as he's not the kind of striker that plays through the middle and holds the ball up for others, I haven't seen as much as Duran but he looks the more natural replacement for Watkins, not because he's better than Archer or not, but because he looks more suited to that role.

So I'd see Watkins and Duran as more the choices for the striker through the middle role, and Archer more as wide forward/second striker option.

Didn't Archer play a similar role to Watkins (completely different players though I agree) at Preston?

I'm not convinced , he scores goals and finishes very well and i think he will go on to have a good career. When he doesn't have chances made for him and a bit more is expected i think he is some way off at this minute , in Emery we trust but i fully expect another striker to be coming in.

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

Wouldn’t be too fussed if he went back out on loan. 

I’m not sure. He couldn’t have done much more to earn his chance at Villa. Sends out the wrong message to other prospective young players that they’ll never get the opportunity. Keep him here until January again. Play him in cups and Europe. Let Unai assess him and if a loan is on for January then so be it - he’d have had a chance then at least. 

He's actually pretty good at making his own chances, and chances for other players for that matter, this where I think people are getting him wrong, he's not just an out and out fox in the box type striker, he can run with the ball at speed, he can go past players, he can pick out a cross, he's unselfish, six assists in twenty last season for Middlesbrough 🐻s that out, I'm pretty sure he could actually have a career as winger if he wanted.

Of course when I say he's good at those things I mean in general relative to the levels he's played at, remains to be seen how good he will be at them at Premier League level

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrBlack said:

Really?!

While I don’t disagree because I think Archer will always score goals, I do think fans (not you) are being a little impatient with Duran as if he’s played a lot - he’s played 208 minutes, less than 2.5 games, in 10-20 minute chunks when we are usually ahead and just seeing out a game.

34 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

While I don’t disagree because I think Archer will always score goals, I do think fans (not you) are being a little impatient with Duran as if he’s played a lot - he’s played 208 minutes, less than 2.5 games, in 10-20 minute chunks when we are usually ahead and just seeing out a game.

Duran deserves plenty of patience. But I think a loan to the Championship would be a much better option for him than it would for Archer at their respective stages. Be interesting to see what Emery thinks though. 

• Like 1

Â