Cameron Archer

Zatman

Luke and Stefan Moore, Agbonlahor , Vassell  , Keinan Davis , Weimann. Theres probably more i have forgotten about of strikers coming through our youth system in the last 20 years. 

2 of them played for England.

Would it be fair to say that Cam is the best goalscorer out of these lot ? 

Gabby and Vassell had more pace , Gabby and Davis were stronger. But for pure goalscoring ability Cam has to take it . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Luke and Stefan Moore, Agbonlahor , Vassell  , Keinan Davis , Weimann. Theres probably more i have forgotten about of strikers coming through our youth system in the last 20 years. 

2 of them played for England.

Would it be fair to say that Cam is the best goalscorer out of these lot ? 

Gabby and Vassell had more pace , Gabby and Davis were stronger. But for pure goalscoring ability Cam has to take it . 

For me I'd put them:

1. Vassell
  2. Agbonlahor
  3. L Moore
  4. Archer
  5. Weimann
  6. S Moore
  7. Davis

In terms of where they are at this stage in their career.

I think sometimes we forget how good Vassell looked coming through the youth teams, he's the most talented youngster I've seen come through in twenty odd years. Archer reminds me a lot of Weimann in a lot of ways, a couple of years at youth level where he looked like he'd have no chance of making it, then a sudden improvement and a player that looks like scoring goals, it'll be interesting to see if Archer can push a bit further on.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

For me I'd put them:

1. Vassell
  2. Agbonlahor
  3. L Moore
  4. Archer
  5. Weimann
  6. S Moore
  7. Davis

In terms of where they are at this stage in their career.

I think sometimes we forget how good Vassell looked coming through the youth teams, he's the most talented youngster I've seen come through in twenty odd years. Archer reminds me a lot of Weimann in a lot of ways, a couple of years at youth level where he looked like he'd have no chance of making it, then a sudden improvement and a player that looks like scoring goals, it'll be interesting to see if Archer can push a bit further on.

Surprised you have Gabby that high.

I'm not sure he'd have made at Villa, and as a footballer, if O'Neill didn't land here at the right time.

Just now, Tomaszk said:

I'm not sure he'd have made at Villa, and as a footballer, if O'Neill didn't land here at the right time.

As a kid he was lethal, he's another I think that because of how he ended up, we forget how good he could have been - young Gabby was quicker than anything and had the cockiness to finish one on ones. I seem to recall a youth season where he scored a ridiculous number of goals. Shame he crapped on his own legacy.

Oddly youth and U21 Archer has always just been so-so, but since he moved up a level he's really lifted his game - he's looked really sharp for the U21's in very good company and is starting to look like a player that could succeed in the top division.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

As a kid he was lethal, he's another I think that because of how he ended up, we forget how good he could have been - young Gabby was quicker than anything and had the cockiness to finish one on ones. I seem to recall a youth season where he scored a ridiculous number of goals. Shame he crapped on his own legacy.

Oddly youth and U21 Archer has always just been so-so, but since he moved up a level he's really lifted his game - he's looked really sharp for the U21's in very good company and is starting to look like a player that could succeed in the top division.

Definitely the fastest footballer I've ever seen. Quicker than any serious 'fast' players like Henry or Owen. The number of pens we won from him, ridiculous.

The two loan spells with appalling reviews stick out to me. I just thought he wouldn't have coped if we had had a manager who wanted him to do anything than chase things down.

Ended up being a key player for us in fairness to him.

I think if we hadn’t made the Conference League the club would have probably looked to have sold him with a sell on/buy back clause especially if another striker is signed this summer he would have struggled for game time. 

Pretty sure Archer will be used in all of the Conference League games and the League Cup so he will get plenty of game time it’s just whether he can take his chance. Make or break season for him really - if he doesn’t perform this season then it’s a case of him not being good enough for where we want to be unfortunately and get moved on. 

6 minutes ago, RichW said:

I think if we hadn’t made the Conference League the club would have probably looked to have sold him with a sell on/buy back clause especially if another striker is signed this summer he would have struggled for game time. 

Pretty sure Archer will be used in all of the Conference League games and the League Cup so he will get plenty of game time it’s just whether he can take his chance. Make or break season for him really - if he doesn’t perform this season then it’s a case of him not being good enough for where we want to be unfortunately and get moved on. 

Really? That's quite the statement and I don't think that's the case at all. I think we will be going out to try and win this. At least, I bloody hope so.

Just seems like the perfect opportunity for him right now; we need more homegrown players, we are light on centre forwards, we are going to have fixture congestion (hopefully) all season and we’re going to face plenty of teams slightly below PL standard opposition which offers an easier route into the first team for him than jumping straight into the PL. 

Edited by david-avfc
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Gabby ended up pretty poor for a number of years but you’re still talking about someone who scored double figures in 5 seasons, 3x double figures in Prem goals alone, played for England, played in Europe etc, was identified by people like John Terry as the hardest striker to play against in the league, etc, so he was always likely to make it somewhere. From 2007-2010 his goalscoring stats are basically comparable to Watkins over the last three years. He just then entirely fell off a cliff (apart from one season a couple of years later) and hung around like a bad smell. 

I like Archer and think his ceiling is high (and he’d be my backup to Watkins this year) but hard though it is for many to accept I can also see that if he ends up having Gabby’s career (the first half anyway!) that’ll be far better than most strikers who come through a PL academy.

On 07/07/2023 at 16:04, MotoMkali said:

Their season was ruined because they couldn't defend. 

That only became an issue once their goals dried up, which coincidentally was when Ramsey got injured! 

Losing the play off semi over 2 legs by a single goal doesn’t sound like defensive frailty, sounds like they couldn’t score

6 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

For me, I've still got Duran ahead of him at the moment.

Need to see a bit more from Duran. I think in terms of finishing, Archer stands out. Along with J Ramsey and Rachel Daly, the best finishers at the club.

1 hour ago, GlobalVillan said:

Really? That's quite the statement and I don't think that's the case at all. I think we will be going out to try and win this. At least, I bloody hope so.

Well I didn’t say he’d start every game but I can see him getting a lot of his minutes in the competition for sure. If his not getting minutes in the Conference League then I’m not sure where his game time is going to come from?

31 minutes ago, RichW said:

Well I didn’t say he’d start every game but I can see him getting a lot of his minutes in the competition for sure. If his not getting minutes in the Conference League then I’m not sure where his game time is going to come from?

On loan would be my guess. If he does stay then yes, the ECL is where he would get minutes, but I certainly wouldn't expect him to play every game in the competition. We need to be going full strength at times and especially in the latter stages should we get there.

Â