Cameron Archer

Zatman

Probably a good bet he'll go back to Preston.

They desperately need a striker having lost a couple but still only a few points off 6th. Jedinak was at their game today watching Kesler for Huddersfield so probably had some discussions.

Lost all momentum from 12 months ago so that seems a good bet to me.

Go to a Burnley or Sheffield United and he's in competition with 3-4 other good attackers. Needs as many minutes as possible.

QPR would seem the most obvious choice, they're desperate for a striker, and we would presumably trust them with Archer knowing how well they've done by Iroegbunam's development, obviously Critchley knowing him already would be a benefit as well.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

He might just not be very good..

Look at impact the liverpool  youngster made. Dont wanna be too harsh on cam I know he hasnt been given extented periods in games but his contribution has been virtually non existent when he has come on.

Another  loan definitely is needed in my opinion. Personally id start him vs Stevenage see how he does then loan him out

Edited by Demitri_C

42 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Look at impact the liverpool  youngster made. Dont wanna be too harsh on cam I know he hasnt been given extented periods in games but his contribution has been virtually non existent when he has come on.

Another  loan definitely is needed in my opinion. Personally id start him vs Stevenage see how he does then loan him out

So we should expect immediate impact from youngster while watching senior players game after game without an impact? I’m sure he could’ve done more if he played earlier in the game.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

He might just not be very good..

That's a sweeping statement. He showed he was clearly good enough at his first try at Championship Football 12 months ago. 

It's if he can develop more now when he goes back on Loan. I feel he needs 18 months of regular football to be ready for Premier League. 

14 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

So we should expect immediate impact from youngster while watching senior players game after game without an impact? I’m sure he could’ve done more if he played earlier in the game.

Did i say that?

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Did i say that?

I thought your comment was pretty measured. He's not ready yet. Will very likely improve with another loan and am excited for his future.

He's 21. I don't expect him to make an immediate impact because he's still got lots to learn.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Vancvillan said:

I thought your comment was pretty measured. He's not ready yet. Will very likely improve with another loan and am excited for his future.

He's 21. I don't expect him to make an immediate impact because he's still got lots to learn.

Thanks.Im hoping another loan will help him out.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

It's such a typical villa move to just waste half a season of his career at such a pivotal point

I dont really blame the club tbh. I think we lal wanted to see more him on a villa shirt. 

21 he is coming to the age now where its make or break for him

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I dont really blame the club tbh. I think we lal wanted to see more him on a villa shirt. 

21 he is coming to the age now where its make or break for him

So at 21 Ollie Watkins was playing for Exeter. Yet to taste Championship Football.

Tammy was 22 when he had the breakthrough season at Villa 

Archer was given a chance in Championship and in a handful of months made himself probably theost desired loan signing in the league

He'll be a Premier League footballer. What level he'll achieve in his career I don't know. 

Woefully poor management to keep him in the squad and then effectively freeze him out for half the season. Feels like he’s lost momentum and a wasted opportunity for him to get more experience and for us to have a better look at him over a full season of competitive football. Hopefully he can get back out on loan in the championship and recapture some momentum.

33 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

So at 21 Ollie Watkins was playing for Exeter. Yet to taste Championship Football.

Tammy was 22 when he had the breakthrough season at Villa 

Archer was given a chance in Championship and in a handful of months made himself probably theost desired loan signing in the league

He'll be a Premier League footballer. What level he'll achieve in his career I don't know. 

Archer seems like a bit of a late developer having looked to be going nowhere just a couple of years ago so I’d agree time is still on his side. It’s a shame he’s / we have wasted half a season though. But having already had a successful loan in the championship previously I would say he’s ahead of most of the kids who come through our academy 

7 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I always thought and said it was utterly pointless to keep him around. He was just never getting ahead of Watkins and Ings. 

Couldn't even get a start against Bolton. Pathetic selections from a pathetic excuse for a manager.

If I was him and his family I'd be fuming.

• Like 1

It's difficult see what his true level is. Adam Armstrong scored loads of goals in the championship(Similar style to Archer) Would you have him in the Villa starting line up? My guess it's a No. 

2 hours ago, messi11 said:

It's difficult see what his true level is. Adam Armstrong scored loads of goals in the championship(Similar style to Archer) Would you have him in the Villa starting line up? My guess it's a No. 

Also, I think people are overrating Archer’s exploits in the championship a bit. He did well for Preston for that half season, but he was far from ripping the Championship in half. His goal return was a 1 in 3. 

Even if you doubled his goal talley to take account the fact that he was only there for half a season, he would have 14 goals. Not enough to make the top 10 championship scorers last season. Hell, not even enough to be preston’s top scorer last season. He’s not even close to the performances put on by people like Tammy Abraham and Adam Armstrong and many other players who take the championship by storm, but then flop(at least initially)in the pl so even these guys aren’t a proper comparison to him.

he might be good enough for us one day, but he really hasn’t shown enough to justify that he is so far. What he has is potential that must be nurtured. And call me crazy but I think that potential is hest nurtured back starting every week in the championship than on the bench with us.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

Also does anyone know for a fact when his date of birth is? Because there's conflicting accounts on it online.

https://allfamousbirthday.com/cameron-archer/

Look at this link. At the top it says his birthday is 21 July, but then scroll down a bit on the same page and it says his birthday is 9 Decemeber. All the other links I can find says his birthday is either one of these 2 dates.

Regardless, imo 22 years of age is the start of when its make it or break it time for a striker. This is generally when we should start having a solid idea what level he should be at and shouldn't expect anymore massive jumps in ability. Depending on which birthday is right, he turns 22 by the end of this season or the end of the year. That 22-23 year old. stretch is going to be crucial for him and whatever it is, he needs to be playing regular football by then. Whether its with us or with another club.

Edit: On another note, I was looking at how old Harry Kane was when he broke through because like to use him as an example of a late bloomer who had multiple failed loan spells. I noticed how young he was during these loan spells. He wasn't even 20 years old during his last one with Leicester so he actually isn't a great example of that. He was only 21 when he had his first proper breakthrough with Tottenham.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

Â