Cameron Archer

Zatman

7 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Don't like to put the negatives in, he does have some swagger, but scoring in the under 21s is a bit easier than getting past the big boy defenders in the Prem.

Very true. Adam Armstrong was a goal scoring machine in the championship, Failed to do it in the PL.
Would anyone take Adam Armstrong?

6 minutes ago, useless said:

Pretty much every striker that's had a run of games for England at U21 level scores goals, the opposition aren't great, three of England U21's top four goal scorers are Nketiah, Berahino, and Solanke, pretty sure not many would take any of those.

That's not to put Archer down, just that we shouldn't read too much into him scoring in these games when it comes to deciding whether he's ready for our first team or not, also in the Championship last season his goal scoring record wasn't actually much better than Davis', in fact Davis had a better goals to minutes ratio, again not putting Archer down, can view that as more of compliment to Davis.

It's not just about whether he's ready for our first team either, it's about whether it would be well unfair to keep him with us as third choice when he could be getting invaluable experience elsewhere, have to remember he didn't play much at Solihull and only joined Preston second half last season, so for someone who will turn 21 next season he doesn't have a lot of first team experience, needs to be getting as much as possible next season.

I have actually watched him play TBF. 

Edit - and I would absolutely take Nketiah as 3rd choice next season, and Berahino's issue was application not ability. Who was the 4th of the top four U21 goal scorers? I notice you only listed 3?

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

Do we know if he is good enough to be a star or at least a functional 3rd striker for us next season? . No

Is he showing enough promise that he might be a star striker in the future.. possibly based on how 2 footed and clinical he is and how good his movement is.

Does he need to be integrated into the first team squad or be sent out on loan again? ... not our call thank the lord. We can leave that up to our manager and coaches. 

Am i excited to see if he does develop into a really good striker. Absofookinglutely because he is one of us. 

We are going to have these conversations more and more over the next few years as the academy produces better and better players. 

Its a really good problem for a football club to have . 

• Thanks 1

The other was Nathan Redmond.

As is said it's not just about whether he's ready or not for our first team, he's probably good enough to be in the squad, it's about whether it would be better for his long term development to go out on loan and get more experience than he'd get by staying with us.

Whatever happens with him with regards to going out on loan or not, I'm looking forward to seeing how he and some of the other youngsters do playing with the first team in pre-season.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

For me it's not about "can he do a job for us next season?" it's "can he do a better job for us next season than Watkins, Ings or a new top class striker?" I would rather see him continue to develop on loan next season and bring in a new top class striker to compete or replace Ings. He will no doubt continue to thrive on loan, maybe even in a lower Premier League club in a season's time. Until he is definitely better than what we have here already I would rather see him develop as quickly as possible and that will happen by playing every week on loan, not sitting on our bench!

I'd normally agree with what you've said here, but the 5 subs rule changes the landscape. We can give him regular minutes and definitely start him in league cup games. 

• Like 2

This kid is a bit good isn't he? Patience needed but, yes, he has what it takes seemingly.

And he'll still have to watch some overrated Arsenal gobshie start in his place 

• Like 1

I have no idea why so many people are going on about this lad..... It is way too much pressure.

He needs to go on loan again for a full season to prove himself, 7 goals isn't the next coming of Jesus.

What is the major malfunction with some of you, if I can't get excited about a young striker coming through and scoring goals against the children of Kosovo and Slovenia then what else am I meant to do in the off-season?  Some utter joylessness going around.

I don't care how unimpressed you were when he played on the wing in the Conference, he's scoring 25 in the Premier League next season. Get on board 🏹

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

I don’t think 10-15 people on VillaTalk thinking it’s worth seeing if he could do a job on the bench for us next season is going to be that much additional weight on his shoulders :)

Everyone I hear from is talking about what he COULD be....

I think we should just let him go out on loan and see what he will be.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, useless said:

Whatever happens with him with regards to going out on loan or not, I'm looking forward to seeing how he and some of the other youngsters do playing with the first team in pre-season.

I think that will be the attitude of the coaching staff before they make any final decisions. It will be interesting to see if he goes on the Australian tour and how he gets on there, particularly if he gets minutes against United and Leeds.

• Like 1

Â