First Choice 11

MaVilla

considering the volume of purchases, and watching all the pre season games, and accounting for the players we are currently aware we have signed/will be signing, this would probably be my starting 11 & subs.

Steer, Targett, Mings, Engels, Guilbert, Douglas Luiz, Grealish, McGinn, Jota, Wesley, El Ghazi or Hassan.

Subs: Kalinic, Hause, Konsa, Elmo, Nakamba, Kodjia, El Ghazi or Hassan.

obviously this could change if we sign any players we arent currently aware of as certain purchases.

your thoughts people??, who would you choose?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

With the current squad:-

Steer, Guilbert Engels, Mings Targett, Douglas(?) McGinn, Jota Grealish El Ghazi, Wesley.

Although ideally we'd have a new keeper as good as Steer was last season.

Ya that's how I see it aswel , would liked to have seen bit more of Engels but hopefully he starts next sat against Leipzig 

so with today's signings.....currently i would say:

Heaton, Targett, Mings, Engels, Guilbert, Douglas Luiz, Grealish, McGinn, Jota, Wesley, El Ghazi or Hassan.

Subs: Steer, Hause, Konsa, Elmo, Nakamba, Kodjia, El Ghazi or Hassan.

might actually start Nakamba over Douglas vs Spurs, depends on when Douglas finally gets in to the country......

I reckon now, at most as nice to have's we only need a striker and a winger?

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 2

We actually have a squad and options beyond the first XI, my team would be: (feel free to ridicule)

4-3-3 formation 

Heaton

Guilbert Konsa Mings Targett

Grealish Douglas Luiz McGinn

Jota Wesley El Ghazi

Subs: Steer, Engels, Taylor, Trezeguet, Nakamba, Kodjia, Hepburn-Murphy

• Like 1

Just now, villabromsgrove said:

I would be tempted to start Hourihane purely because Spurs are going to give Jack a kicking. Think of the set pieces!

im sure one of our other new signings can put a ball in the box, and we can have a player actually be good at the DM role at the same time.

10 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I've still got "20 goals and assists" stuck in my head, it won't go away!

have a cold shower, and if necessary stab yourself in the hand with a kitchen knife, will take the thought away im sure :)

Hourihane isnt good enough for a first team slot, sure he will get a few games though regardless.

Personally i see Douglas, Nakamba, Grealish & McGinn as the 4 players fighting for the 3 starting positions, then Hourihane and Lansbury as backup etc.

• Like 1

The players still here from last year:

Steer

Elmo, Chester, Mings, Taylor

McGinn, Hourihane, Grealish

Green, Davis, El Ghazi

Of those players, Jota deserves to replace Green on pre season form, same goes for Wesley over Davis and Guilbert over Elmo. After that, Heaton as our first choice keeper and Targett first choice left back 

I've no idea which centre back Smith will pick alongside Mings, wouldn't mind seeing any of them out there to be honest. 

Then introduce any new players on merit. I don't think Hourihane deserves to lose his place and it would be good to keep our settled midfield. 

3 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

So who would win in a New Signing 11 Vs Old Guard 11?

are the old guard that are good enough also in the new 11?, cus weird if not, as they will be in the "new team".

cant really compare if not, as the players who were here before the new signings that are good enough, will form a critical core of the new team. (Mings, Grealish, McGinn, El Ghazi)

Edited by MaVilla

I know we will most often play  433, but  does anyone think we have the  flexibility to adapt to  something like 4411 if the need arises?

Something like 

Heaton

Guilbert,  Engels, Mings, Targett.

Elmo, Nakamba, Douglas,  El Ghazi

Grealish

Wesley. 

Just maybe a bit more solid in the  middle but still some creativity going forward.  

17 minutes ago, johnny from donny said:

I know we will most often play  433, but  does anyone think we have the  flexibility to adapt to  something like 4411 if the need arises?

Something like 

Heaton

Guilbert,  Engels, Mings, Targett.

Elmo, Nakamba, Douglas,  El Ghazi

Grealish

Wesley. 

Just maybe a bit more solid in the  middle but still some creativity going forward.  

Super John McGinn wont be happy!

• Like 3

Heaton

Guilbert---Mings---Engels---Targett

McGinn---Nakamba

Trezeguet-------Grealish--------El Ghazi

Wesley

Best 11 imo. 

Heaton, Guilbert, Engels, Mings, Targett, Luiz, McGinn, Grealish, Jota, Wesley, Trezeguet

Steer, Hause, Konsa, Nakamba, Hourihane, El Ghazi, Kodjia.

Might be a couple of changes before Spurs...