Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

5 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

Not picking on you TRO but staggered that he was ever a ‘zero’ to anyone - his quality has been apparent since day one. The issue is fans expect perfection these days even from 21 year olds in their first PL season or two. His improvement isn’t even down to Emery for me - just moving into his mid-20s on the same development path.

Don't take it literally....but his improvement is markedly better. I was never as convinced as some in his earlier days, but I am now.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

Not picking on you TRO but staggered that he was ever a ‘zero’ to anyone - his quality has been apparent since day one. The issue is fans expect perfection these days even from 21 year olds in their first PL season or two. His improvement isn’t even down to Emery for me - just moving into his mid-20s on the same development path.

During corona too...

I think his insta kind of tells you the story, he was a kid in a city centre penthouse apartment with his mates from Brazil, then corona, then the home work outs, then lehman, now he's in a house with I think a lambo, no pictures of her anymore, games a lot, with the other south Americans and Spanish players a lot, on holiday in Brazil doing home work out sessions in pre season

He's matured and got his head round it all

Hopefully he gets back in to the national team

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, sne said:

He's so perfect for the way we wan't to play. pre season friendly today but he's just a class (or 5) above everyone else on the pitch. Nice that he was made captain too.

Agreed, I saw half an hour of the first-half...

Luiz is a cool customer and often a step ahead of those around him.

4 minutes ago, sne said:

He's so perfect for the way we wan't to play. pre season friendly today but he's just a class (or 5) above everyone else on the pitch. Nice that he was made captain too.

looked absolute class. I know it's preseason against a 4th division side, but he was levels above anyone else on the pitch.

• Like 1

On 06/07/2023 at 01:34, TRO said:

Don't take it literally....but his improvement is markedly better. I was never as convinced as some in his earlier days, but I am now.

I knew we would convince you in the end!!  But Luiz has definitely been a big (indeed probably the main) beneficiary of us improving the balance in our midfield.  I thought the only way of doing that would be by buying in more players to support him - but Emery has proved that just changing the way we play as a team and as individual players could have the same impact.  I always felt that he was playing a different game to everyone else and because he was the one laying the ball off to someone else who hadn't read the script - he was the one that looked like he'd messed up.  Now that more of our players are showing for the ball and looking for the types of lay-offs, runs, space that Luiz was always looking for - it has really helped his game.  It will be interesting to see but I think that he and Tielemans could form a next level partnership playing as 8s with Kamara as a 6 behind.  I think they'll see the game in a very similar way.  We'll also be able to keep all our midfielders fresher through the season - I still can't quite believe that we've got Kamara, Luiz, Tielemans, Ramsey and McGinn.  Such a good range of options and real strength through that midfield now.

Edited by allani
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, allani said:

I knew we would convince you in the end!!  But Luiz has definitely been a big (indeed probably the main) beneficiary of us improving the balance in our midfield.  I thought the only way of doing that would be by buying in more players to support him - but Emery has proved that just changing the way we play as a team and as individual players could have the same impact.  I always felt that he was playing a different game to everyone else and because he was the one laying the ball off to someone else who hadn't read the script - he was the one that looked like he'd messed up.  Now that more of our players are showing for the ball and looking for the types of lay-offs, runs, space that Luiz was always looking for - it has really helped his game.  It will be interesting to see but I think that he and Tielemans could form a next level partnership playing as 8s with Kamara as a 6 behind.  I think they'll see the game in a very similar way.  We'll also be able to keep all our midfielders fresher through the season - I still can't quite believe that we've got Kamara, Luiz, Tielemans, Ramsey and McGinn.  Such a good range of options and real strength through that midfield now.

More convinced about Dougie, since Kamara came along.....Like Ty, I think he had to do too much.....now we are more of a team, he looks the real deal.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TRO said:

More convinced about Dougie, since Kamara came along.....Like Ty, I think he had to do too much.....now we are more of a team, he looks the real deal.

Absolutely, Kamara means that Dougie is better able to do what Dougie does.  But interestingly, I also thought that Dougie looked better even when Kamara wasn't playing - which I think is because we are better organised and our other midfielders (and defenders too) know what they are supposed to be doing on and off the ball / in and out of possession.  For example, I have said many, many times that I though Dougie and McGinn as a central two was a problem because McGinn is more suited to the "hounder" role higher up the pitch and was too prone to losing his man closer to our goal (meaning that Doug was caught trying to cover too players) - but since Emery has arrived, McGinn's been much more disciplined in that regard.  Just one (of many) examples of how a direct improvement in one player's performance can have a (significant) indirect impact on another.  We've both talked many times in the past about "balance" and how little we had before.  It's great to see that Emery has addressed this in most areas of the pitch - I'm excited that Pau and Tielemans both appear to further enhance that balance (I still think Mings can / will improve further playing alongside a top quality CB partner - no disrespect intended to Konsa).  IF Unai can get us that same jump in balance in the attacking third - I will be so excited to see what we can do over the next 3 or 4 seasons.  For me - Luiz is going to play a key role in our progression and just get better and better as we further improve as a team.  Absolutely could be our next captain.

Edited by allani
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, allani said:

Absolutely, Kamara means that Dougie is better able to do what Dougie does.  But interestingly, I also thought that Dougie looked better even when Kamara wasn't playing - which I think is because we are better organised and our other midfielders (and defenders too) know what they are supposed to be doing on and off the ball / in and out of possession.  For example, I have said many, many times that I though Dougie and McGinn as a central two was a problem because McGinn is more suited to the "hounder" role higher up the pitch and was too prone to losing his man closer to our goal (meaning that Doug was caught trying to cover too players) - but since Emery has arrived, McGinn's been much more disciplined in that regard.  Just one (of many) examples of how a direct improvement in one player's performance can have a (significant) indirect impact on another.  We've both talked many times in the past about "balance" and how little we had before.  It's great to see that Emery has addressed this in most areas of the pitch - I'm excited that Pau and Tielemans both appear to further enhance that balance (I still think Mings can / will improve further playing alongside a top quality CB partner - no disrespect intended to Konsa).  IF Unai can get us that same jump in balance in the attacking third - I will be so excited to see what we can do over the next 3 or 4 seasons.  For me - Luiz is going to play a key role in our progression and just get better and better as we further improve as a team.  Absolutely could be our next captain.

Good Post...I totally agree, particularly the emboldened bit and that was the feeling, I once had.....both players had their doubters, and are now top dogs. I never honestly believed a manager could have so much influence....and a big shout to them for sticking at it.

The other thing about Dougie is, he seems so invested in the club, I thought we was going to lose him at one stage.....I would be devastated now.

It’s the high defensive line that has helped his game. We used to be so open in transition when losing the ball because Luiz was left as the loan defensive midfielder in acres of space. 

Now that midfield is much more quickly compressed when we don’t have the ball and he is much less exposed, allowing him to close channels and win back possession. 

• Like 1

Suspecting that… our main midfield 3 will be Luiz, Tielemans and Kamara… 👌

And McGinn & Ramsey will be given and focus on more attacking and wide roles. John pressing and harrying from the front helps us a lot…

Predominantly, not always… but it kind of makes sense. I think the pair of them are more suited to attack and the 3 mids control and dictate play…

We could see a change in system/formation… maybe even from game to game…

Exciting… a few good additions and we’ll be even stronger…

We will have quality options… so good to see.

Edited by Jas10

Â