Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

25 minutes ago, Bazmonkey said:

Interesting comments about Doug...some like...some not so much.

Midfield has been our issue for some years now and he has been an ever presence. To see he is a 'General's bit over the top.

He is a tidy player but for me he just goes missing most of time...yes he pops up here and now with a pass or a tackle but so do most of the team.

As a coach myself for me he just doesn't want the ball enough especially in tight spaces and his movement is poor...look at jorginho (spell) yesterday....all.over the pitch...forwards and back...always available.

As much as martinez over hit is balls wide playing out from the back...he had nothing all game from luiz and I have watched him for years do this....he stood there looking lost..like I'm marked but did nothing to create space for himself or be an option 

I think he gets a lot of praise for nothing...we lost the game yesterday not because he went off...but for other tactical reasons.

As for player of the year...I like I say..he is ok...but no general...if anything...he is part of the midfield issue

The main issue with midfield currently is that it works better than every other part of the team.

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I think the yellow card came into play here.

I'd much rather him go off at the time, than risk him getting sent off, leaving us with no chance in the game, as well as losing him for another.

He's received 3 yellow cards this season not counting the ridiculous 2nd yellow that was rescinded for Mitrovic headbutting him initially. If any of our players were to be on 2nd yellows he's the one I trust the most to not get sent off outside of a fight. The only other time he's been sent off in his career is when he got the 2nd yellow for elbowing moutinho as they contested for a header. 

I believe that game had like 19 cards shown including both Luiz and moutinho getting 2nd yellows. So I'm not even sure it should count. 

Edited by MotoMkali
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Bazmonkey said:

Sorry....the midfield is the main problem....either to weak...to passive....drops to deep....

I’ve said a few times that a midfielder to play alongside and instead of Kamara/Luiz should be a priority this summer a technical and physical player I suppose general would be the description. Both would benefit from competition.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bazmonkey said:

Interesting comments about Doug...some like...some not so much.

Midfield has been our issue for some years now and he has been an ever presence. To see he is a 'General's bit over the top.

He is a tidy player but for me he just goes missing most of time...yes he pops up here and now with a pass or a tackle but so do most of the team.

As a coach myself for me he just doesn't want the ball enough especially in tight spaces and his movement is poor...look at jorginho (spell) yesterday....all.over the pitch...forwards and back...always available.

As much as martinez over hit is balls wide playing out from the back...he had nothing all game from luiz and I have watched him for years do this....he stood there looking lost..like I'm marked but did nothing to create space for himself or be an option 

I think he gets a lot of praise for nothing...we lost the game yesterday not because he went off...but for other tactical reasons.

As for player of the year...I like I say..he is ok...but no general...if anything...he is part of the midfield issue

There are absolutely things you could criticise him for, but hiding and not wanting the ball enough is one of the last things i think you could accuse him of.

On a per 90 mins basis (and excluding players who have played only a couple of games worth of minutes as such a small sample can massively skew things) he leads our team in touches, and attempted and completed passes. And he's not just ticking it over in his own half; he is 2nd behind Ollie for combined goals+assists, and just behind Buendia for shot creating actions. 

Compared to some other similar, youngish midfielders who are highly regarded and at teams higher in the table than us (Bentacur, Caicedo, Guimaraes for example), he compares very well in the above stats; in fact, they are all remarkably consistent with each other. Even against Jorginho, he has slightly worse touches and passing stats, but has created more shots and assists, and has the same number of goals.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Dougie played one pass in the first half to Buendia. First time, under pressure, weak foot, perfectly into his path to run onto, when the obvious pass in that particular situation would have been straight to his feet. Might seem specific bringing that up but it highlighted his intelligence and technique nicely.

• Like 1

Bit like you Bazmonkey , i keep being told how good Luiz is, and then struggle to think of any games where i would give him more than 7 out of 10.

He was ok on saturday, one of his better games, but Arsenal were far better in midfield than we were. Kamara is a 8/9 out of 10 midfielder, we need a better player alongside him. Neves from Wolves would be ideal.

But its all about opinions, i'm not convinced. I hope he proves me wrong.

• Like 2

On 19/02/2023 at 14:03, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

Kamara moves the ball quicker than Luiz, and plays better passes. I'm struggling to see this midfield general we keep annointing him with. I see an average player.

We need better next to Kamara.

If we are ambitious them we should be looking at players like Onana

Interesting. 

1 has 5 PL assists this season, the other has 1. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Bazmonkey said:

Sorry....the midfield is the main problem....either to weak...to passive....drops to deep....

Absolute rubbish. 

We have won the midfield battle in every game since Emery came in, except against the best and second best team in the league. 

Luiz and Kamara were being lauded (and rightly so) after our run of no PL defeats in 5 games. Suddenly we lose 3 in a row and they are the "main problem". 

Our defense is dogshit

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Unpopular opinion.

22/23 Douglas Luiz has been better than 22/23 Boubacar Kamara.

(And for what it's worth, I think it's pretty close between the two of them in terms of our best player of the season).

I agree, they are our 2 most important & best players currently

Outstanding work to get him to sign an extension, otherwise we would be real in trouble to figure out his replacement. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Unpopular opinion.

(And for what it's worth, I think it's pretty close between the two of them in terms of our best player of the season).

I agree, Arsenal chased him over the summer for one reason, he is quality. I like the look of kamara but that's more about potential. Luiz has played a lot of games for us over the last few years, a steal at the 15m we paid for him.

23 hours ago, Bazmonkey said:

There's no point in comparing SG-era Doug to the present because SG utterly misused him, if he used him at all. As a sole holding midfielder, he was wasted. Even when Deano paired him with McGinn in the double pivot, it usually seemed like McGinn had more freedom to go forward.

The current double pivot serves him well. Kamara goes forward occasionally but it's Doug who has more freedom.

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Unpopular opinion.

Dunno, think it's almost an unfair comparison.

What's weird to me is that, they could actually both learn things from each other, and I have seen suggestions of it happening somewhat.

For example, I think Kamara is much better than Doug defensively, whereas Doug in much better going forward and with quick thinking flair , as well as shooting etc obviously.

When Kamara has been at his best for us, i've seen him almost steadily begin to get involved in attacks more, and finding more incisive passes etc.

Whereas i think Doug is now also getting better defensively.

I'd rather say they are almost perfect foil than to try and detract from either.

What i think they are missing is another " Kamara " or " Luiz on form " version of themselves in front of and around them to make it a well oiled machine.

I do currently feel like Kamara probably has the higher all round ceiling though, but as you say, close.

Bare in mind, I've been one of Dougs biggest crtitics as a " DCM " over the years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Unpopular opinion.

Yep not quite as good defensively or receiving the ball from the defence but has generally been a lot more progressive and has our 2nd most goal contributions this season does Dougie. 

Â