Matt Targett

villan-scott

1 hour ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Gerrard wanted to leave Liverpool. Rooney wanted to leave Utd. Kane wanted to leave Tottenham. Grealish wanted to leave Villa (round 1) etc etc

Plenty of managers have faced similar situations with much more influential personalities and managed to turn it around. If the manager didn't believe he could find a way to use Targett or keep him happy until the summer, then that's fine. Let's not pretend it's because it's such an impossible thing to do though.

Difference being that with us signing Digne that our long term plan was that we wanted him to leave too

Dare I say it we looked long term and didn't really want him either, we took the option to get rid of him rather than keep him on the books pay him be stuck with him and run the risk of Digne getting injured and us finishing 15th rather than 11th, we gave up on this season too

But huge spoiler! 

Spoiler

Targett leaving on loan is not why we're shit and dropping down the table

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Difference being that with us signing Digne that our long term plan was that we wanted him to leave too

Dare I say it we looked long term and didn't really want him either, we took the option to get rid of him rather than keep him on the books pay him be stuck with him and run the risk of Digne getting injured and us finishing 15th rather than 11th, we gave up on this season too

But huge spoiler! 

Reveal hidden contents

Targett leaving on loan is not why we're shit and dropping down the table

Exactly. We decided to get rid of him. Which is why I find the narrative attacking him for being weak odd.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

It's not a mistake if the player asks for the move and clearly doesn't want to be here.

You're under contract. At that point Gerrard was allowed to bring in a 200k  week short term signing because we were going all out for Europe this year. At what point does letting anyone under contract go regardless of desire make any sense what so ever.

Flatter him. Say you'll get a chance. It's a squad game or just tell to shut up you're under contract.

It's bad management. If it was any other manager people would just say it for what it was. 

It's been an absolute shambolic decision. Just say it.

• Like 3

People seem to have forgot how much criticism Targett was getting before being loaned out, I disagreed, but there was post after post claiming that this season he was being shown up without Grealish, and that he couldn't do it in front of crowds, there were actually quite a few calls for Young to replace him as the starter at one point.

I can more understand people questioning the need to buy Digne to replace Targett in the first place, but now Digne has signed loaning out Targett when we have nothing to play for makes sense, put him in the shop window, get some money for him in the summer transfer window and then bring in a younger replacment in the summer.

Also I watched his interview on Newcastle's youtube when he first signed, and I don't think I've seen a new signing look more happy to be at a new club, looked like he'd been really taken in by the whole new owners, richest club in the world stuff, once they were in for him I imagine he really pressed for a move, better for all concerned for him to go there and play games so we can get a bigger fee for him than we would have done if he'd have stayed with us sitting sadly on the bench, he actually also spoke about that in the interview, how at this point in his career he didn't want to be a bench player, can't really blame him, it was a deal that worked out for every one.

Digne injured now, but I don't think our coming results, be they good or bad, will be much different than if we still had Targett, I look at our results with him in the team earlier in the season, and he played 21 and we lost 11, I bet we don't lose more than half of our remaining games, point being not that it was Targett's fault that we lost those eleven games, but rather that I don't think he would make a significant difference to our coming fixtures.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The_Steve said:

He. Wanted. To. Leave. 

So. A weak manager kicks a player out that doesn't want to be here

Martin O'Neill (clearing in the woods) should have just let Barry go to Liverpool for 4 million that time because he wanted to leave

9 hours ago, Zatman said:

Martin O'Neill (clearing in the woods) should have just let Barry go to Liverpool for 4 million that time because he wanted to leave

The management don’t rate a player who doesn’t want to play with competition. Why should they be compelled to keep that terrible attitude around? It makes sense from a business sense for the selling club. People are only getting mad because of his perceived forms and injuries. Had he left and none nothing of note and Digne stayed injury free the yearning for Targett would simply reflect people desperately trying to blame what they can on Gerrard. 

12 hours ago, Zatman said:

You miss the point

We obviously dont want Targett here either 

We've cashed in while we can, it's a not a one way street where Targett wants to leave and we've buckled, we don't want him 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Zatman said:

Martin O'Neill (clearing in the woods)

Can people stop saying this now?

The guy got 3 x 6th placed finishes. Might not be everyone's cup of tea but he got results. 

I would literally pay 3 months salary for that now. 

Edited by Steero113
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

You miss the point

We obviously dont want Targett here either 

We've cashed in while we can, it's a not a one way street where Targett wants to leave and we've buckled, we don't want him 

Where's the cash?

5 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

As stated before we maybe got a £1m loan fee. This move may well have cost us about 4 or 5 places in the league.

You have absolutely no idea what we got as a loan fee, could just as easily be a £5m loan fee and £15m agreement if they stay up, which would be an excellent deal for a player we didn't want to keep 

4 or 5 places in the league with Targett/Young at LB instead of Digne/Young. Come on now, you surely don't really believe that?

I'm not anti Targett or anything, I think he's a good player, but the way some people are going on about him here you'd swear it was him pulling all the strings and almost the second coming of Lionel Messi. He was an average PL left back and our form has remained basically unchanged with or without him 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steero113 said:

The guy got 3 x 6th placed finishes. Might not be everyone's cup of tea but he got results. 

Nope he is a piece of shit 🙂

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, weedman said:

You have absolutely no idea what we got as a loan fee, could just as easily be a £5m loan fee and £15m agreement if they stay up, which would be an excellent deal for a player we didn't want to keep 

4 or 5 places in the league with Targett/Young at LB instead of Digne/Young. Come on now, you surely don't really believe that?

I'm not anti Targett or anything, I think he's a good player, but the way some people are going on about him here you'd swear it was him pulling all the strings and almost the second coming of Lionel Messi. He was an average PL left back and our form has remained basically unchanged with or without him 

Do you think Gerrard would rather play Targett or Young for the run in?

I can guarantee we didn't any fee that would make loaning out our only viable back up LB in case of injury to a rival in any way logical 

Now I have to sit at Villa Park knowing we will be severely hampered in attack and defence because he have, bless him, a lad who can't move anymore playing left back 

Edited by rodders0223

1 hour ago, weedman said:

Do you honestly think we've just sent him to Newcastle for nothing? 

We have a big problem selling players - and the cash generated via loan and transfer fee will help. It would be negligent of the club to let him fester on the bench. It’s best for both parties that we get a decent return on investment. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Steero113 said:

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Nope he is a piece of shit 🙂

Steero, your wounds might have healed, but people like Zatman and I have a longer road to travel as we had another 5 years of him for Ireland ending in 2018.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Steero113 said:

Never, ever. He walked out in the club a week before the season started as a deliberate act to undermine the next Manager so as nobody improved on what he had done. It was an act of sabotage which is why he is despised widely and rightly by fans.

We had the squad to get 4th and his instance on only using 15 players undermined us too. He wasn't a great manager either. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, weedman said:

My assumption was the same a something like a £5m loan fee + 15m to make it permanent. Taking it to 20m overall fee. 

• Like 1

Â