Matt Targett

villan-scott

30 minutes ago, samjp26 said:

So Gerrard has now confirmed that Targett pushed to leave, which also pretty much confirms his original comments about certain players not wanting to fight for their spot were about Targett also.

As much as I understand he wants guaranteed playing time, if you want to play at the very highest level you have to accept and expect competition for positions. 

Had a good debut for Newcastle and I’ve always been a fan, but I’m not a fan of that type of attitude in life so good riddance. 

Matty Targett is not one of those people with blind confidence. He knew Lucas was a big step up in quality. So decided to go and get first team football elsewhere. And now reading Gerrards words about Chrisene i am chuffed. I love his trust in our youth players. If Ben does really well then we might not need Hickey or another left back in the summer. 

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Doesnt suprise me in the slightest. The going went a lil tough and targett wanted out.

I just rewatched the watford game and jesus was targett absolutely awful or what

Was fan from last season but he basically lost us that game

8 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Matty Targett is not one of those people with blind confidence. He knew Lucas was a big step up in quality. So decided to go and get first team football elsewhere. And now reading Gerrards words about Chrisene i am chuffed. I love his trust in our youth players. If Ben does really well then we might not need Hickey or another left back in the summer. 

Also Targett knew that he needs a move at his age to be a regular first choice at another mid table Prem club. I respect his decision because it's good for Villa selling him and banking a healthy profit to invest in a younger player as back up. Like Hickey

33 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Also Targett knew that he needs a move at his age to be a regular first choice at another mid table Prem club. I respect his decision because it's good for Villa selling him and banking a healthy profit to invest in a younger player as back up. Like Hickey

You spelled Chrisene wrong. The Hickey hype on here is wild 

11 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Does there need to be a reason to rewatch a game on youtube?

1994/1996 League cup final. That comeback against Arsenal in I think 1997/98 at Villa Park, the crazy game against Blackburn (2nd leg semi final I think) in the Carling Cup in 2010. No excuse needed. The 7-2 against Liverpool. The game against Inter in the UEFA Cup. The shootout against Tranmere. The Championship playoff final in 2019. Hell, even that game we lost against Atletico Madrid in the UEFA Cup at Villa Park is a good watch.

All games that I would watch and have watched some (at least extended highlights) again, but to go back and watch the first game of this season a game we lost to Watford after a very interrupted pre-season and a Villa team struggling for fitnesss and laden with injuries, well I'm sorry, but there has got to be a reason to rewatch that one. Maybe you're a masochist and get your kicks from stuff like that or maybe it's for your job, but there has got to be a reason to watch that particular game.

Edited by sparrow1988
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

You spelled Chrisene wrong. The Hickey hype on here is wild 

That's because he's got 4 goals at Full Back / Wing Back in 20 games in Serie A this season at 19 years old. This is his second full season at Bologna and was starting last season when he'd just turned 18. Before that he'd had a full season at 17 at Dundee. 

It's showing that level of performance at a young age. Plus the level of maturity to go to another country at such a young age and straight into the first team and perform.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, samjp26 said:

So Gerrard has now confirmed that Targett pushed to leave, which also pretty much confirms his original comments about certain players not wanting to fight for their spot were about Targett also.

As much as I understand he wants guaranteed playing time, if you want to play at the very highest level you have to accept and expect competition for positions. 

Had a good debut for Newcastle and I’ve always been a fan, but I’m not a fan of that type of attitude in life so good riddance. 

Most fans suspected this was the case and agreed if he wanted to leave then it made sense to let him go. 

That was sort of getting lost amongst the irrational anger from many! 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

9 hours ago, samjp26 said:

We are out of all the cup competitions and don't have very many league matches left. The manager has just spent huge money on a new player in his position. It's pretty obvious Targett was going to spend the next six months sitting on his arse.

Fair play to Targett, he could have taken a wage and spent his weekends watching Premier League football from a front row seat but he's chosen to go and play matches. 

It may well be that he returns to us next season when we have some more matches he can actually play in. 

On 05/02/2022 at 12:19, sne said:

Not saying we aren't getting a loan fee, I said transfer fee. I'm against loaning him. Been fine if we'd sold him for a substantial transfer fee.

His loan to Toon may very well increase the likelihood of us receiving a significant transfer fee for him in the summer. 

17 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

1994/1996 League cup final. That comeback against Arsenal in I think 1997/98 at Villa Park, the crazy game against Blackburn (2nd leg semi final I think) in the Carling Cup in 2010. No excuse needed. The 7-2 against Liverpool. The game against Inter in the UEFA Cup. The shootout against Tranmere. The Championship playoff final in 2019. Hell, even that game we lost against Atletico Madrid in the UEFA Cup at Villa Park is a good watch.

All games that I would watch and have watched some (at least extended highlights) again, but to go back and watch the first game of this season a game we lost to Watford after a very interrupted pre-season and a Villa team struggling for fitnesss and laden with injuries, well I'm sorry, but there has got to be a reason to rewatch that one. Maybe you're a masochist and get your kicks from stuff like that or maybe it's for your job, but there has got to be a reason to watch that particular game.

Ive re- waTched every game this season on youtube.  Why does there have to be a reason? The only ones i tend not to watch are the 0-0s

• Like 1

On 02/02/2022 at 17:17, CVByrne said:

Why aren't footballers allowed to make decisions in the best interests of their own careers and their family. We all do it.

Fans are fickle. Players leave Villa and they are disloyal or a snake. Villa drop Targett from the starting 11 following a few years of loyal service and there is no negative sentiment to Villa for brining in a new LB and leaving Targett's career to stagnate. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

His loan to Toon may very well increase the likelihood of us receiving a significant transfer fee for him in the summer. 

I'm sure we can get £20m for him if he does well there. I can see him being a really good fit with Howe. He's a proven PL left back with years of experience. Totally reliable

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Ive re- waTched every game this season on youtube.  Why does there have to be a reason? The only ones i tend not to watch are the 0-0s

Fair dues. I wouldn't watch them all back, but if that's what interests you then by all means go ahead. It just seemed from the original post that you watched that game specifically.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Doesnt suprise me in the slightest. The going went a lil tough and targett wanted out.

I just rewatched the watford game and jesus was targett absolutely awful or what

I felt that one was on Smith. From recollection, Targett had been carrying and injury and had barely any pre season. Was in no way fit to start a game against a club who had been in pre season for weeks. Smith made totally the wrong team choices for that one.

• Like 1

And, once fit his form improved again under Smith in the early part of the season but once Gerrard came in and changed the system that’s when it became clear he was out of favour.

Like many on here, I don’t blame him for wanting a new opportunity because let’s face it, he wasn’t getting his place back unless Digne got injured. I’m more surprised that we sanctioned a move that assisted Newcastle and weakened us, especially so soon after Gerrard said he wanted two players competing for each spot. I’d also be surprised if Chrisene was our back up left back next season when he’s completely untested at this level unless he gets an opportunity and smashes it this season.

I said from the start this was an odd move sending him there. He's not a world beater (and in fact he has put in some poor performances for us this season), but when things are going well for him he's a very dependable, solid FB. This is particularly the case when he someone very good playing in front of him like ASM (or Grealish for us).

We have potentially sent him somewhere that, if he helps keeps them up, will be looking to overtake us in the league from as early as even next season and from an investment POV it's a bit strange because the owners have invested money in top players to presumably take us up the league - helping out a competitor in that regard is a bit like shooting yourself in the foot. 

Maybe it is my negative Villa thinking hat on from when I still have nightmares of selling our best players to City like Barry and Milner which helped them overtake us. It's not quite the same as Targett is a backup and not anywhere like a key player for us like those players were, but at least in those situations we got money for those players whereas with Targett we've probably only got a small loan fee. 

Would rather have sent him to a Brentford or a Crystal Palace or even a Leeds in all honesty, or told him that he needs to fight for his place, Or if we were going to let Newcastle have him, at least get around 20m for him which is at least a profit on the player we signed from Southampton and would be a fair deal for all parties.

16 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I said from the start this was an odd move sending him there. He's not a world beater (and in fact he has put in some poor performances for us this season), but when things are going well for him he's a very dependable, solid FB. This is particularly the case when he someone very good playing in front of him like ASM (or Grealish for us).

We have potentially sent him somewhere that, if he helps keeps them up, will be looking to overtake us in the league from as early as even next season and from an investment POV it's a bit strange because the owners have invested money in top players to presumably take us up the league - helping out a competitor in that regard is a bit like shooting yourself in the foot. 

Maybe it is my negative Villa thinking hat on from when I still have nightmares of selling our best players to City like Barry and Milner which helped them overtake us. It's not quite the same as Targett is a backup and not anywhere like a key player for us like those players were, but at least in those situations we got money for those players whereas with Targett we've probably only got a small loan fee. 

Would rather have sent him to a Brentford or a Crystal Palace or even a Leeds in all honesty, or told him that he needs to fight for his place, Or if we were going to let Newcastle have him, at least get around 20m for him which is at least a profit on the player we signed from Southampton and would be a fair deal for all parties.

Selling Barry or Milner, arguably our best players at the time, and loaning Matt Targett, a player we've decided isn't good enough for the first team, are worlds apart. 

• Like 2

Â