Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

29 minutes ago, Zatman said:

UFC had to pull 1 of the fights tonight because one of the fighters tested fot it. 

This will cause chaos in a league format

Exactly.  Haven't there been a number of players testing positive in Italy this week?

1 minute ago, dubbs said:

Exactly.  Haven't there been a number of players testing positive in Italy this week?

I think was 3 Fiorentin players and one from another club

GK Alex Remiro at Real Sociedad and defender Renan Lodi at Atlético Madrid are both currently in quarantine after testing positive.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Is McGinn the magic wand?

I don’t think anyone’s under any illusion that McGinn will single handedly keep us up. 

What McGinn will do is allow the players around him to concentrate primarily on their own games and perform better doing them.

McGinn has energy, he’s a box to box midfielder capable of doing the gritty work whilst also able to cross, pass and shoot well. He’s a thorn in an oppositions side.

Having him back and working in the midfield allows Nakamba to sit in front of the defence more, he won’t get drawn into being the midfield legs. 

Having him back takes the pressure off Grealish and creates space for him whilst the opposition have something else to think about. If Grealish is marked out of the game by two or three players McGinn is capable of finding a route to goal by himself.

Having him back means Luiz or Hourihane can sit next to him in the midfield and play the attacking role they are made for. With McGinn and Nakamba allowing them space and freedom they can concentrate on the parts of their game that benefit us going forward.

He’s not a magic wand but at this stage of the season he’s the closest we are going to get to one.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, useless said:

I'm still wondering whether all these stories of 'project restart' are all talk just so they can turn around to the TV companies and say that they did all they could to get it going again, but behind the scenes they know it's likely to be cancelled, then it will just be a question of how they decide to settle everything.

To me it feels like it, the story changes daily of what they want to do, almost as if they can say we tried everything but in the end it will end.  All these players overseas being tested positive, other sports people being tested positive....I mean even in the WhiteHouse where they are at the pinnacle of of controls to stop spread of the virus there they have had two separate positive cases just yesterday so in the football environment it's just open for more people to test positive. 

I still think it will be cancelled and then it's just what they decide to do re relegation and places.  No way are they going to relegate West Ham....the crafty cockneys so Home and Away PPG if off the table despite what the press reported.  That may be to our advantage as they might void relegation completely if that scenario happened.

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

50 Premier League players are ready to refuse to play

We need some big names in there for it to carry any weight though.........if it's Aguero, Salah and co as part of some of the names then it's different to Keinan Davis, Oli McBurnie and Teemu Pukki and co.  Sad as that would be, names make a difference in influence

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

We need some big names in there for it to carry any weight though.........if it's Aguero, Salah and co as part of some of the names then it's different to Keinan Davis, Oli McBurnie and Teemu Pukki and co.  Sad as that would be, names make a difference in influence

I still think the PL would want to play the games. There has been comments about the players not being forced to play. I would imagine they would just play without these 50. Should we restart, as clubs fates were decided, I would expect the number of players that decided to give it a miss would increase. Where would the integrity be then, with crucial games being determined by results against severely weakened teams (before 5 substitutions are made)? What a farce.      

32 minutes ago, Zatman said:

50 Premier League players are ready to refuse to play

They might say that now but I expect if football does restart they will tow the line. Players with partners or children with medical conditions of course would be exempt. 

29 minutes ago, PaulC said:

They might say that now but I expect if football does restart they will tow the line. Players with partners or children with medical conditions of course would be exempt. 

Why would they? If they have the option without consequences to back out, why would multi millionaires risk it if others are not doing it as well.  

They have families as well, young children, old parents and we still don’t know the long term effects of this virus.  These players also have short careers so missing a couple of months ensuring their health may pay dividends in the future.

Edited by nick76

50 minutes ago, John said:

I still think the PL would want to play the games. There has been comments about the players not being forced to play. I would imagine they would just play without these 50. Should we restart, as clubs fates were decided, I would expect the number of players that decided to give it a miss would increase. Where would the integrity be then, with crucial games being determined by results against severely weakened teams (before 5 substitutions are made)? What a farce.      

It’s inevitable that a player will test positive at some point, then where do they go if there is squad, training or even game interaction because it won’t just be one player that will have to quarantine but many.

From what I saw last night when people in our street party completely ignored social distancing the cases of Coronaviruses are going to increase alarmingly and any thoughts of finishing the season will be foolish in the extreme.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Okonokos said:

For the last month before his ankle injury he was playing through a thigh tear picked up on international duty. He was barely training and having daily injections. That's why he went off the boil. Before that international break he was on fire.

That is interesting.

I still think though if that was the case Dean should have played him deeper.

4 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

That is interesting.

I still think though if that was the case Dean should have played him deeper.

That would have damaged both us and McGinn. I love John for what he does and how he plays but tactical discipline doesnt seem to be one of his attributes 

2 hours ago, useless said:

I'm still wondering whether all these stories of 'project restart' are all talk just so they can turn around to the TV companies and say that they did all they could to get it going again, but behind the scenes they know it's likely to be cancelled, then it will just be a question of how they decide to settle everything.

I wonder if this is also required to counteract any legal actions any club may make against them being relegated or not getting promoted.

They will say in their defence they did everything they could to restart.

Edited by Only2McInallys

12 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

Seemed it last season and maybe he would have been if he wasn't injured? 

But we were still struggling with him in the team. 

Couldn't even beat a 10 man Arsenal with a struggling Unai.