Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I think Norwich are more dangerous.

They are playing with nothing to lose hence the performance against Leicester.

They spent nothing in the summer and the players knows it's no pressure. It makes it easier for them to perform.

They are as bad away as we are. One if we have our full team out (unlikely that Mings will be fit) I'd be very confident of winning given we did win the away one 5-1. Norwich the sort of team you can give away 20 shots to and they'll only score once...😉 Pukki with his broken toe might be out aswell if it gets worse in their game.

Southampton on the road aren't actually too bad. Two wins at Brighton and Sheffield United although that was earlier in the season, 1-1 at Wolves, should've won at Arsenal and Newcastle but only took 1 point from those two and they only lost 2-1 at Man. City.

They're easier to beat in home games.

think the next 3 are must-not-lose rather than must win. i'd be OK with 5 points...avoiding defeat, and getting a sneaky win in there too. i'd be quite happy with 7 points

we need to start getting some scalps though. no one expected a result on saturday and think that included the players. they need to get a bit of belief back

i'm shitting myself that we're going to get a bad result tomorrow night...could you imagine what that would do for confidence

17 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

They are as bad away as we are. One if we have our full team out (unlikely that Mings will be fit) I'd be very confident of winning given we did win the away one 5-1. Norwich the sort of team you can give away 20 shots to and they'll only score once...😉 Pukki with his broken toe might be out aswell if it gets worse in their game.

I feel like that game was an anomaly for Norwich. Just prior to facing us they scored 3 goals from 7 shots against Man City. Sometimes you get games where you get lots of shots yet fail to score, and sometimes you get games where you have few shots and score many. May not really suggest anything deeper, its just that's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes.

5 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I feel like that game was an anomaly for Norwich. Just prior to facing us they scored 3 goals from 7 shots against Man City. Sometimes you get games where you get lots of shots yet fail to score, and sometimes you get games where you have few shots and score many. May not really suggest anything deeper, its just that's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes.

Ultimately they are much worse than we are defensively.

Conceded two or more goals in 13 out of 17 games this season, you simply can't stay up that bad defensively. We've lost our way defensively in recent weeks aswell, need to go back to basics like actually marking players in the box when crosses come in.

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Ultimately they are much worse than we are defensively.

Conceded two or more goals in 13 out of 17 games this season, you simply can't stay up that bad defensively. We've lost our way defensively in recent weeks aswell, need to go back to basics like actually marking players in the box when crosses come in.

I mean, if you're using that as the standard we've conceded two or more goals in 11 out of 17 games this season. Hardly that much better.

6 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I mean, if you're using that as the standard we've conceded two or more goals in 11 out of 17 games this season. Hardly that much better.

Mate "We've lost our way defensively in recent weeks aswell" NB. After the Newcastle game we'd conceded two or more in 7 out of 13 so at that stage of the season ( less than three weeks ago we were in decent shape defensively). Fallen apart since but I'd say Norwich have been consistantly poor at the back since August.

Ultimately we've conceded lots v the top teams and been reasonably o.k against teams more on our level (clean sheets v Everton, West Ham and Newcastle and just 1s conceded v Palace, Brighton and Norwich) so hopefully we will improve defensively in next few weeks playing teams who struggle to score like Southampton and Watford.

27 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We would never in a million years get anything against Man City or Leicester. Especially away from home. It's a massive credit to them.

We didnt get a lot from Bournemouth at home either and they are a terrable team away.

Apologies if this is already a thread.

I'm struggling to find where I can put this.. 

Anyway, there's usually a stat that can help an argument or whatever, but just looking at the "hit the post" state on the PL stats page, we're 2nd! We've hit the post 8 times this year, second only to Man City, who have done so 13 times. 

I know it's a what if, but had we scored those, our goals for would be 31, instead of (9th best) 23.  We'd be level with Chelsea in 5th.  Small margins! 

Brighton had more points this time last season, and the idea that Hughton is a defensive manager is a false narrative, he only went ultra defensive at the end of last season in order to scrape enough points to keep them up, which he succeeded in doing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Yep but we beat them so according to the logic in many of your posts it means we are better than them.  

Also as he Matt Targett is a better forward than Maupay since he outscored Maupay in that game

• Like 1

21 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Apologies if this is already a thread.

I'm struggling to find where I can put this.. 

Anyway, there's usually a stat that can help an argument or whatever, but just looking at the "hit the post" state on the PL stats page, we're 2nd! We've hit the post 8 times this year, second only to Man City, who have done so 13 times. 

I know it's a what if, but had we scored those, our goals for would be 31, instead of (9th best) 23.  We'd be level with Chelsea in 5th.  Small margins! 

And out of those 8 times that we hit the post,how many of those times was Wesley the player that hit the post ? My guess is zero.