In Vino Veritas

maqroll

19 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

But Malbec is the grape? Expecting the same taste of different wines from the same grape is like a bit weird no? A lot of "malbec" wines are in fact blends, which doesn't help either. Though it can be fantastic.

I'm not expecting it to taste exactly the same. but I'd expect it to be in the same ballpark.

Like if I drink different types of coffee they'll taste different. but they'll still be coffee.

38 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

This is actually a bit funny. If I recall the majority of red wines are made with egg white in a clarifying process. Essentially it acts like a flocculant and removes tanins. Which means most vegans that drink red wine probably aren't aware of it. 

I think most vegans probably would be aware of it and would avoid it.

Edited by Stevo985

21 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

This is actually a bit funny. If I recall the majority of red wines are made with egg white in a clarifying process. Essentially it acts like a flocculant and removes tanins. Which means most vegans that drink red wine probably aren't aware of it. 

just like the vegan Instagram blogger that didn't seem to be aware that fish contains  errrm fish  :)

One thing to remember with the ecological wines if you are into that kind of stuff is that while there are a bunch of criterias you have to fulfill to be branded ecological.

But as long as you fulfill those certain criterias you can basically pump in whatever shit you want that are not on those lists and still be "ecological".

It's a huge market, and only getting bigger, but it's basically a sham.

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm not expecting it to taste exactly the same. but I'd expect it to be in the same ballpark.

Like if I drink different types of coffee they'll taste different. but they'll still be coffee.

I don't think you can. It's like expecting all engines of Rolls Royce to behave the same simply because they are manufactured by RR. The wine making process is incredibly delicate, from how old or young the vines are to the filtration process, blend, aging, oxidation, the geology of the region, climate and not to mention the temperature it's served. Even the same bloody wine with exactly the same setup can taste widely different from year to year. 

For what it's worth I'd recommend anyone to take a vineyard trip with a guide and do some tasting. I was amazed how many tastes I could pick up on with some help from professionals. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I don't think you can. It's like expecting all engines of Rolls Royce to behave the same simply because they are manufactured by RR. The wine making process is incredibly delicate, from how old or young the vines are to the filtration process, blend, aging, oxidation, the geology of the region, climate and not to mention the temperature it's served. Even the same bloody wine with exactly the same setup can taste widely different from year to year. 

I don't think that's a very good analogy, but I take your point. 

Shows how much I know about wine :) 

5 hours ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

Since being on a keto diet beer is a no no for me, so I've got into my wines. Started to enjoy my alcohol again. Annoyingly, for such a cheap country, wine in Bulgaria is quite expensive so I'm always on the look for good ones.

Mezzek-Merlot.png

This one is very good and it's around £4 a bottle in Lidl. 

img65757781.jpg

This one is excellent too and quite moreish. Looking at around £5/6 a bottle. 

I've never seen a Pinot Noir in a slim bottle like that. 

Edited by maqroll

Back when I was younger( and more naïve), I bought a couple of bottles of red with aspirations to be a collector. I prefer beer and cider these days, but at the time, I had the vision of keeping hold of the wine to open for a special occasion.

I have a '99 shiraz and an '02 cabernet, and they are both Australian wines. They have travelled with me for the past 10 or so years, as I bounced from the hottest and coldest ends of the country.Despite this, I have done my best to try and keep them cool.

There have been times that qualified for their opening, but it is more dread that it will ruin the moment. When you are feeling joyous satisfaction, there is no surer way of getting rid  of it by taking  a swig of grape flavoured vinegar.

So, there they sit. Like the black thing at the beginning of 2001 ASO. I am just the monkey not sure if they are a good thing or not.

This was reduced to under £7 in January in M&S in January. I liked the first bottle so much I went back and bought another 6 bottles using one of those spend £35 get £5 off vouchers brought the price down to under £6 a bottle

I only have 1 bottle left. And M&S currently have none

WineJan17pic4_large.jpg?width=648&s=ie-3

I like red wine a lot, but with small kids I rarely drink. We typically go for mid-expensive Italian wines. Brunello, Nebiolo. Very nice. 

Big red wine drinker!

Get mine delivered by Laithweights so get to sample loads of wines i wouldnt even look twice at in a shop, really good way of doing it IMO.

Been doing it for a while now, but all i have learnt is that i have no idea what i like. Used to think I liked certain types but each can vary so much (even year to year) that i have given up trying.

One thing i still believe to be true is that corked always seem nicer than screwtops....its a start!

19 hours ago, maqroll said:

My day to day preference is beer, but I do love me some red wine, especially during the cold weather months. I've never been much of a fan of white, but I recently had a gewertztraminer (sp?), produced in Washington state and i liked it. $10 bottle too, it wasn't some expensive shit. I typically like California Cabernets, but have been enjoying other varietals as well lately. Zinfindel (a Croatian grape, btw, didn't know that), is really sort of hearty. Totally different wine to a Pinot Noir for example. Anyways, what are some of your favorite wines/least favorite? Have you ever been to a winery? Let's here your stories, winos.

Gewürztraminer, as the name suggests, has it's origins in Germany and is often quite sweet.  Living in the PNW, though, I found some absolute belters from WA state and BC.  Some of the BC examples were phenomenal.

2 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

Gewürztraminer, as the name suggests, has it's origins in Germany and is often quite sweet.  Living in the PNW, though, I found some absolute belters from WA state and BC.  Some of the BC examples were phenomenal.

I drank the Chateaux St. Michelle which sounds French but is from Washington. I think I prefer sweet whites to dry and dry reds to sweet.

6 hours ago, maqroll said:

I drank the Chateaux St. Michelle which sounds French but is from Washington. I think I prefer sweet whites to dry and dry reds to sweet.

You should try German rieslings.  They're basically classified according to the level of residual sugar.  I find a good Kabinett is a great balance of sweet and acidic.  the acid keeps it from being too cloying.  Riesling is supposed to be the most versatile wine for food pairing.

My wife really only likes chardonnay, and only American ones for the most part, along with sparkling wines.  I like them as well, so drink a fair amount of that.

I personally love a good Pinot Noir and am fortunate to live in an area where there's plenty of good ones available.  Unfortunately, it's very difficult to find a good pinot that's also cheap, and bad pinot is pretty much undrinkable to me.

Rioja and Ribeiro del Duero, both made from the tempranillo/tinto grape are another favorite, along with zinfandel.

Â