Pre- match thread

Don_Simon

5 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

------------------Steer--------------------

Elmo------Hause---Mings---Mcginn

--------------------Whelan----------------

---------Hourihane------Jack-------------

Adomah----------Tammy----------El Ghazi

Mcginn is a good enough footballer to slot in at left back for this. It would be a brave move but one that could pay off. 

I would not be suprised if Smith did this but I don't think it will work. 

23 hours ago, Skruff said:

Start with the same team as last. Bring in McGinn at 55-60th minute depending who's got a yellow/fitness/fight.

19 hours ago, pacbuddies said:

The same team that destroyed Derby are quite capable of beating the scum.

17 hours ago, Nigel said:

Mcgin stays on the bench for me, the midfield has been fantastic against derby and stoke, no one deserves to lose their place.

Start him Wednesday's game! 

All spot on. He has to start on the bench.

• Like 1

On 03/03/2019 at 09:55, Nigel said:

The ref needs to be strong from the very start of this game!

Dreading the first time grealish touches the ball and the tackle/assault that will follow...it's cynical!

They know well that the cowards they put in charge won't want to pull a card out so early!

You raise a very valid point.

Someone who will take control of the game with authority and not someone who will let the occasion and game take control of them.

Some of the officiating in our games have just been awful.

We aim for a double against the knuckle draggers on Sunday. They will “welcome” us to their sty at the weekend, if that is the word for it. As Sir Alf Ramsey once said when a member of the press shouted, “Welcome to Scotland!” at Prestwick Airport in 1968, “You must be f*****g joking!”  

Small Heath Alliance have not beaten us in a league game since 2005. Since then we have won 9 of the 13 league meetings between the two clubs. Overall, we have won 48 and have drawn 31 of the 115 league meetings that there have been between the clubs that represent the pride and the shame of Birmingham respectively. A win will take us above the club from the dark side of the city and will restore natural order.    

I know that you shouldn’t change a winning side, but I think that we must crowbar McGinn into our team for this one. It’s a game that he will relish taking part in following his enforced rest.

Just win this one for us Villa!

• Like 2

Their tactics will obviously be kill grealish and I am expecting the refs to k side with the unwashed bastards so we have to just ensure we score early and frustrate them. 

Adams is the main threat for them. I have a feeling that weasel Gardner will start for them. 

5 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Their tactics will obviously be kill grealish and I am expecting the refs to k side with the unwashed bastards so we have to just ensure we score early and frustrate them. 

Adams is the main threat for them. I have a feeling that weasel Gardner will start for them. 

Craig?

1 hour ago, smg said:

I think the debate is about if McGinn plays who makes way for him after Saturdays performance ?

Like we played before Jacks injury and that means Whelan out.

Really don't rate him at all, everytime he's come up against pace this season he's been badly exposed.

Edited by villalad21

On 03/03/2019 at 10:34, Johnnyp said:

McGinn for Whelan. Leave Jack and Conor where they are.

As good as Whelan has been, we need McGinn here imo. His combative style will help here for sure, we need someone whos going to muck in.

• Like 1

Muck in is not the same as experienced defending. Perhaps Jacks presence in the structure of the team allows Whelan to perform effectively which was impossible in his absence .

For once, Smith has some positive selection headaches. I don't think you can change the team that battered Derby at the weekend. Elphick is out so that's a forced change but I'd go with:

Steer

Elmo Hause Mings Taylor

Whelan

Adomah Grealish Hourihane ElGhazi

Tammy

That leaves McGinn, Kodija, Jedi, Carroll, Kalanic, Green and BB on the bench. I hope we don't get another defender injury as we have no defender on the bench. Jedi can go CB but no one who can cover RB. 

18 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Surprised the amount of you not including McGinn in the starting lineup.

McGinn is the sort of player that is perfect for derby games. He's aggression and energy is important in these types of games.

I agree with you. But also Whelan's played an awful amount of matches. A bit of experience in the centre of the park is important, especially if it gives more freedom to Conor and Jack. 

On 03/03/2019 at 09:55, Nigel said:

The ref needs to be strong from the very start of this game!

Dreading the first time grealish touches the ball and the tackle/assault that will follow...it's cynical!

They know well that the cowards they put in charge won't want to pull a card out so early!

Do we know who the ref is yet? I'm hoping since it's on Sky and it's the derby we might get an Premier League ref. The first 10-15 mins will tell you how the ref is going to approach this. They will target players like Jack, Hourihane, Taylor, ElGhazi, who they will see as threats or people they can rough up. 

I'll be in Stockholm at the weekend so if anyone knows a pub that's showing it I'd appreciate the name! 

7 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

Do we know who the ref is yet? I'm hoping since it's on Sky and it's the derby we might get an Premier League ref. 

Nope its Tim Robinson....yes thats right the one and only!

(I dont know who he is either)

Edited by Nigel

33 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Nope its Tim Robinson....yes thats right the one and only!

(I dont know who he is either)

He ref'ed the Ipswich and Bristol City games earlier in the season

Was pretty average in both games 

Edited by Mozzavfc
  • Thanks 1

On 04/03/2019 at 11:25, Demitri_C said:

I think kieftenbeld will be tasked solely with the job of breaking up grealish. We are a better footballing side than them. Be good to see how they control the emotional aspect of the game with it being at their place this time. We were shocking at Villa park in the first half against them and let's be honest they probably should of went 2 up. Confident we'll start better this time and score first.