Pre- match thread

Don_Simon

47 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

I think kieftenbeld will be tasked solely with the job of breaking up grealish. We are a better footballing side than them. Be good to see how they control the emotional aspect of the game with it being at their place this time. We were shocking at Villa park in the first half against them and let's be honest they probably should of went 2 up. Confident we'll start better this time and score first.

They always raise their game against us. Even at villa Park they played really well and we were poor until Adams hit the bar. 

If we start as hopeless as that they will win that's for sure. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

They always raise their game against us. Even at villa Park they played really well and we were poor until Adams hit the bar. 

If we start as hopeless as that they will win that's for sure. 

Theyre hyper and physical against us, but wouldnt say they raise their game. Not sure they have the ability to up their game.

We usually beat them or atleast dont lose to them, and theyre above us in the table. If anything we raise our game agaisnt them.

Going to need gigantoballs to play the one and two touch out from the back stuff away against this lot. I think that's our best chance of winning it though, try and keep them chasing shadows and doing lots of running early on and take the sting out of it.

27 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Going to need gigantoballs to play the one and two touch out from the back stuff away against this lot. I think that's our best chance of winning it though, try and keep them chasing shadows and doing lots of running early on and take the sting out of it.

We don't look comfortable keeping it on the ground when we are been pressed high up. Horses for courses approach for me. If Adams and and Jutkiewicz press us high and their midfield follow suit, we've showed in the last few weeks especially with Mings who has a good range finder short or long, that we can play over them too. We do this enough to make them sweat and then hopefully they sit deeper and we play through them. Monk's teams don't tend to have loads of possession in games but they use the ball well when they have it.

1 hour ago, Johnnyp said:

We don't look comfortable keeping it on the ground when we are been pressed high up. Horses for courses approach for me. If Adams and and Jutkiewicz press us high and their midfield follow suit, we've showed in the last few weeks especially with Mings who has a good range finder short or long, that we can play over them too. We do this enough to make them sweat and then hopefully they sit deeper and we play through them. Monk's teams don't tend to have loads of possession in games but they use the ball well when they have it.

Yep, when we were going longer Mings kept hitting the wingers really nicely from deep, so we have that too. If we can invite their press on and beat it moving the ball fast we could get a lot of chances with them out of shape and right up the pitch and out the game. I don't think we'll try it though, I'm pretty sure we'll be going back to front pretty quick and it'll be a hectic mess of a game.

• Like 1

On 05/03/2019 at 06:51, smg said:

I think the debate is about if McGinn plays who makes way for him after Saturdays performance ?

Elphick. McGinn played LB at St Mirren. Hause and Mings CB same team as last week. 

EDIT: Ok Club video I saw had music no sound. It seems he trained as LB at St Mirren but never got a game

"I actually went “from left wing as I got older about 17 or 18, I went to left back. I couldn’t get a game at left back.

“Tommy Craig the assistant manager at St Mirren decided he wanted to see me in central midfield and I have not looked back since."

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Elphick. McGinn played LB at St Mirren. Hause and Mings CB same team as last week. 

EDIT: Ok Club video I saw had music no sound. It seems he trained as LB at St Mirren but never got a game

"I actually went “from left wing as I got older about 17 or 18, I went to left back. I couldn’t get a game at left back.

“Tommy Craig the assistant manager at St Mirren decided he wanted to see me in central midfield and I have not looked back since."

There's no way he's playing McGinn at LB and leaving an actual LB on the bench in Taylor.

McGinn would be wasted at LB.

Thinking about this further, I think I would go:

Steer

Elmo  Mings  Hause  Taylor

Hourihane    McGinn

Adomah    Grealish   El Ghazi

Abraham

It seems harsh leaving out Whelan, but I don't think he can play 3 games in a week. If we leave him out on Saturday then he will be available fresh on Wednesday against Forest.

We also don't know if Grealish will be able to play 3 games in a week, therefore Whelan may need to come in for him on Wednesday

A bit OT but,

I spend a bit of time on a FB page for football manager. Just got on before and the first post I read just comes across as real wank and arrogant. Basically saying how FM19 is an easy game, and he is a god. 

We exchange a few comments, after I suggest he may want to tone it down a tad, and finally I get the reply that explains everything.

'I took my team, Birmingham to the Champions league winners in 3 seasons'

😳

Edited by Villan_of_oz

12 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Can't remember the last time we beat them at their shithole. **** hate those fixture.

September 2009 😕 Agbonlahor in the 85th.

Starting 11 that day.

B Friedel
S Warnock
R Dunne
C Cuellar
J Collins
A Young
S Sidwell
J Milner
S Petrov
N Reo-Coker
G Agbonlahor