The Biased Broadcasting Corporation

bickster

4 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Can’t be enforceable, if they sacked someone over any of this stuff they would likely be sued successfully and quickly.

I don't think it is; it surely falls afoul of the Equality Act (big day for that Act today!).

Sorry to keep adding to this thread, but these guidelines are in complete chaos. Take a look at this useful 3-tweet thread:

Four points immediately spring to mind:

1) The sarcasm in that first tweet made me laugh;

2) Saying that trans rights are 'politicised' is itself arguably a form of discrimination (surely, after yesterday, big organisations are thinking more carefully about this stuff?);

3) Trans rights are protected by the Equality Act, so it is surely going to be the case that placing them in a different category to other protected characteristics is unlawful discriminaton;

4) The last tweet shows Davie does not get this at all. It's not at all about the BBC telling its staff what is 'possible within the guidelines', and instead very much about the BBC not unlawfully discriminating aginst its employees.

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 1

I could tell Tim Davie was a weapon from the moment he tried to shut down BBC 6Music. Nothing since has remotely led me to change that view. Bean counting careerist with no understanding of culture(s)

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

2) Saying that trans rights are 'politicised' is itself arguably a form of discrimination (surely, after yesterday, big organisations are thinking more carefully about this stuff?);

It's the worst kind of "both sides" bullshit which has been dragging the BBC in to the gutter for years, IMO.

12 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Sexuality has the same protected status as religion doesn't it?

Does this mean that BBC employees shouldn't attend religious services if those services might be seen as politicised?

Like say, Remembrance Sunday?

Yes to the first one, and presumably yes to the others (or I would at least like to see it argued).

33 minutes ago, blandy said:

I could tell Tim Davie was a weapon from the moment he tried to shut down BBC 6Music. Nothing since has remotely led me to change that view. Bean counting careerist with no understanding of culture(s)

Thanks; I hadn't twigged it was the same guy.

• 3 weeks later...

So irritating:

The actual story here is 'Radio 1 will not break Ofcom guidelines by playing song with offensive word unbleeped, and will instead play the sanitised version, exactly as they do every single other day, every single year'.

That's not quite how they've worded it though, is it?

EDIT: LOL

pogues.jpg

(tweet edited for sweary word, original here: https://twitter.com/poguesofficial/status/1329394157354446850)

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 3

I don't think I'd be particularly outraged if it was broadcast, easy for me to say as a straight man I guess, I'd probably feel mildly uncomfortable but accept it as a product of its time.

It takes a special kind of word removed to feel passionately about hearing the original unedited version though doesn't it? 

I'd honestly never heard of this guy or the Reclaim party.

Our modern United Kingdom was born out of the respectful inclusion of so many individual voices. It is steeped in the innate values of families and communities diverse in the truest sense but united in the want and need to call this island home.

That sounds wonderful. I would never have read between the lines of them wanting to form a new, better Britain, where we respectfully and inclusively insist on broadcasting homophobic slurs. Can anyone recommend any inclusive songs that stick it to the Muslims?

Edited by Davkaus

8 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

I wonder if anyone complaining about that would have an issue with, for example, WAP by Cardi B and Megan Thee Stallion being played on Radio 1 completely uncensored? 

Isn’t that a bit of an odd comparison, given it wasn't? A heavily edited version is what was played on Radio 1 (and other stations).

Â