The Biased Broadcasting Corporation

bickster

7 hours ago, mjmooney said:

BBC 10 o'clock news. Focus on South Yorkshire pro-leave area. Lots of "I used to vote Labour, but now I'm backing Boris" stuff.

Again. 

I genuinely have not seen them feature a single pro-remain, anti-Tory area. 

I don't like conspiracy theories, but this really is looking like propaganda. 

I think 3 things on this.

1. if you look at a map of the UK and particularly England, nearly all of it voted leave, in terms of geography (not population).

2. The BBC has long been accused of being all luvvy metropolitan elite. Getting out of their urban London bubble is no bad thing.

3. But...the co-incidence of editorial slant with the above does seem to be indicative of someone high up breaching neutrality.

so I don’t agree with the current mood that the whole thing is broken, far from it. I also recognise that to an extent it is helpful and useful as a tool for Labour to shout “media bias” and boy are they doing this. It’s ingrained in Corbynism to play that role. Like Man U with fergie. It’s basically a tactic. But the BBC is getting it wrong, their coverage is worse editorially than Sky News for example. There are one or two government or establishment placings exercising too much influence.

9 hours ago, mjmooney said:

BBC 10 o'clock news. Focus on South Yorkshire pro-leave area. Lots of "I used to vote Labour, but now I'm backing Boris" stuff.

A few thoughts just on how bias works ?(Could be any of the parties,  just using this Labour one from your post)

Could it be a Labour voter watching in South Yorkshire may now be more determined to go out and vote now to stop the voter above than if they had 3 people saying I will vote Labour (So watcher puts his feet up and thinks its all sorted)?  If every person they interviewed said "Labour",  then loads of old grannies cold logically go out to stop Corbyn getting in and so on.  

What material impact do you think the interviews from Stoke and places like that will actually have ?  I doubt you will meet anyone who says "After the Stoke Cafe thing on the BBC,  I changed my vote.

I don't think it will affect it as much as you fear.  I agree it seems a bit rigged but I am thinking about the impact.

1 hour ago, blandy said:

There are one or two government or establishment placings exercising too much influence.

I suspect this is all from higher than that.  I think Corbyn has scared business to death,  they won't let him get anywhere near no 10 now.  I think their manifesto,  in black and white has done him personally.

If you followed the last month or more of BBC coverage you’d presume that Labour are going to lose around 75% of their vote, around 200 of their current number of seats. So, I guess we’ll find out soon enough if the BBC have called that one correctly.
If that turns out not to be the case, if Labour more or less keep what they've got, I guess we have to decide if the BBC were following a political agenda, were just very very poor at journalism, or 75% of all the voters they encountered lied to them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

If you followed the last month or more of BBC coverage

I have been off work for 14 months 😀 

Personally I believe Labour will get humiliated in this election.  Even if the BBC didn't exist IMO it would still happen.

Let's see what what in a few weeks.

31 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

If you followed the last month or more of BBC coverage you’d presume that Labour are going to lose around 75% of their vote

I dunno about 75%, but the polls (yes, I know) say they're 19 or 20% behind the baby-eaters. That's some doing given the absolute state of the vile tories. Blame Brexit, blame media bias, blame whatever you like (general you, not Chris you). Surely at some point they have to think "you know what, maybe we're just a clusterf**k of a party at the moment, led by a numpty when the goal is open"

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, blandy said:

when the goal is open

This is the main problem as I see it.  Corbyn should be level at least at this stage.

When Boris became PM they were dead level.  It's the person not the policies I fear.

People just don't like the bloke is the logical conclusion ?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, blandy said:

I dunno about 75%, but the polls (yes, I know) say they're 19 or 20% behind the baby-eaters. That's some doing given the absolute state of the vile tories. Blame Brexit, blame media bias, blame whatever you like (general you, not Chris you). Surely at some point they have to think "you know what, maybe we're just a clusterf**k of a party at the moment, led by a numpty when the goal is open"

To be completely clear, that wasn't 'polls', but *one poll* and the average is more like 11-12%. 

• Like 2

I used to be on the YouGov panel (probably still am but I haven't logged in for years), I was also on the Survation one too.

Therein lies the problem with these polls, they might fit certain demographics but they are also made up of those that are super-interested, which the vast majority of the population really aren't.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

People just don't like the bloke is the logical conclusion ?

Far more to it than that.  He/ Labour did pretty well just over 2 years ago.  What's Jez done over the proceeding 2 years to then warrant such dislike? Whereas de Pfeffel has cheated, insulted, lied, etc, etc. 

4 hours ago, avfcDJ said:

A mistake is leaving a swear word in, getting names wrong, or missing out a key piece of footage.

Not taking a video, removing laughter, adding in applause, and then showing it as if it happened. 

Sick.

Yes, it is simply not possible that someone doing this editing did not realise that they were dramatically changing the impression the footage would give of Johnson and how he was received, and that this is a deeply political act, especially during an election campaign.

What is astonishing is that even in the "apology" they choose to brazen it out.

• Like 2

Â