The Biased Broadcasting Corporation

bickster

9 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Right wing government stooges get upset at legitimate criticism of things senior politician says, up against someone using an offensive racial slur directly targeted at an individual.

The more I think about it the more **** ridiculous it is to try and use that comparison to play the role of the enlightened centrist.

I'm out of likes, but I agree. What a bizarre statement.

7 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Maybe my mind is playing tricks but I thought there were signs. Maybe just within the grounds. Or maybe I'm imagining it. It's been a while.

The old BBC accommodation and conference centre is now a very plush retirement village.   Wood Norton is a hotel.   But I think the remainder of the site including the bunker remains in use. 

Forgive my out-of-touch/out-of-date question, but is there still a TV licence fee in the UK?  If yes, is that not exclusively for the "privilege" of watching the BBC?  Which essentially makes them a government entity.....

I'm in my 50's and I barely watch anything on "traditional" TV anymore.  After the 9/11 attacks I stopped watching "news" on TV (they spent more time showing repeat pictures of George Bush in a classroom than the efforts to recover survivors)...  Everything I watch is through YouTube and other online platforms.  Can't imagine that the BBC has a whole lot of strength if the vast majority of the nation doesn't care too much about their output....?  I mean, Match of the Day was very relevant in the 70's/80's, but now?  

I'm not really much into political opinions as I've believed all of my adult life that all politicians are liars and thieves.  But comparing the statement of the government to that of Nazi's is probably not too wise given the respective history of our country and the fact that there are plenty of folks still around today who were directly or indirectly affected..... 

• Like 1

BBC Radio Wales's Call Rob Phillips programme won't be going to air this evening as a result of the BBC's limited sport programming.

In its place will be a replay of a classical concert celebrating 100 years of the BBC in Wales.

BBC.

8 minutes ago, andym said:

There's been a few posts along the lines of 'i dont watch BBC programmes so why should i pay the licence fee'. 

People need to realise it covers so much more.

Radio (national and local), World Service (incredibly useful soft power tool), online (iplayer was pretty innovative as using the internet as a medium for media), cultural impact (stuff like the proms, young musician of the year etc)

Even if you don't consume any BBC content and solely use other platforms, you will have benefitted from the work of BBC R&D which is funded by the licence fee.

They've been at the forefront of recording and broadcasting technology for decades; the ease and quality at which we are now able to consume content is in no small part down to their work.

The whole world has access to these technologies yet they haven't paid a penny to the licence fee. 

They should be helping to produce and support local based media and news, they are nowhere near doing that. The Oxbridge leaders of it all are so out of touch the whole thing is 90% irrelevant to 95% of the population. I don't watch it or listen to it at all. 

21 minutes ago, andym said:

There's been a few posts along the lines of 'i dont watch BBC programmes so why should i pay the licence fee'. 

People need to realise it covers so much more.

Radio (national and local), World Service (incredibly useful soft power tool), online (iplayer was pretty innovative as using the internet as a medium for media), cultural impact (stuff like the proms, young musician of the year etc)

Even if you don't consume any BBC content and solely use other platforms, you will have benefitted from the work of BBC R&D which is funded by the licence fee.

They've been at the forefront of recording and broadcasting technology for decades; the ease and quality at which we are now able to consume content is in no small part down to their work.

Not to mention most of the music industry indie and major relies on the BBCs patronage to promote their wares.

I doubt there are many succesful UK based musical artists in the last 50 years that hasn't been given exposure by the BBC at the start of their career

And that really isn't an exageration

• Like 4

Â