Racism Part two

Demitri_C

20 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Always gets a free pass he says, while citing the commonly used insulting nickname that was coined based on the behaviour he gets said free pass on.

I mean facial surgeries is one of the genuine things you can level at Jackson. He clearly did have several.

But saying he gets a free pass is bizarre. He's pretty much universally slated for it

Edited by Stevo985

29 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

He absolutely hates his curly hair, whilst everyone else likes it. 

I've got wavy hair, as a kid always wanted straight hair, it is what it is. 

When I was a kid I was encouraged by my parents to eat my crusts, as they would supposedly make my hair curl. Just made me more determined not to eat them, as I would have considered that a disaster. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I mean facial surgeries is one of the genuine things you can level at Jackson. He clearly did have several.

But saying he gets a free pass is bizarre. He's pretty much universally slated for it

OK I maybe meant to say "it didn't affect his sales". 

Sorry for not being clear 😜

7 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

I saw it on two separate occasions. 

Day 1 when the rain came in the Hollies Stand, I went to the toilet, HUGE queues, no room to move, I was getting shoved in the back by a tall Yorkshire bloke, he was yelling (to the Indian fans) "We're English, we don't like to queue and we won't!", and started shoving past them whilst the Indian fans around me are just patiently waiting, not saying boo to a goose.

I thought being English was all about queueing politely. 

Mind you, he's not English. He's from Yorkshire. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Xela said:

I thought being English was all about queueing politely. 

Mind you, he's not English. He's from Yorkshire. 

Thanks for that, it made me go looking for stuff by Peter Tinniswood on YouTube - Yorkshire misanthrope is the best in the world!

4 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Thanks for that, it made me go looking for stuff by Peter Tinniswood on YouTube - Yorkshire misanthrope is the best in the world!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I find it very strange that people see representation of different ethnicities/specialities on TV as a bad thing, regardless of how it came about

This is why I don't watch Coronation Street ...  it's full of Mancunians. 

That 8 year old learnt that behaviour.  Daddy and mummy must have been nice.  Not some sort of genius comedic response.  Or just a story, init.

Anyway.  Colourism is a thing and one of the many shitty consequences of colonialism and its policies.

• 1 month later...

Better 49 years later than never, I guess. No surprise that John Wayne and Clint Eastwood were a pair of words removed.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/sacheen-littlefeather-oscars-apology-1235198863/

Back then, in an instantly historic moment in both Oscars and live television history, a 26-year-old Littlefeather took the stage at Marlon Brando’s behest to decline the best actor award (for his role in The Godfather) on his behalf. She had two promises to keep: not to touch the statuette (Brando’s instructions), and to keep her comments to 60 seconds (an order from show producer Howard Koch, who told Littlefeather minutes before the award presentation that he had security on hand to arrest her if she went past time).

“[Brando] very regretfully cannot accept this very generous award,” Littlefeather said in her improvised non-acceptance speech, knowing she would not have time to read from the actor’s eight typed pages of prepared remarks. “And the reasons for this being are the treatment of American Indians today by the film industry [the audience begins to boo] — excuse me — and on television in movie reruns, and also with recent happenings at Wounded Knee.” (A month before the ceremony, the activist organization American Indian Movement had occupied the South Dakota town of Wounded Knee to protest the sustained mistreatment of Native Americans, a standoff that at the time of Littlefeather’s televised appearance at the Oscars was under a U.S. Department of Justice-imposed media blackout.)

Littlefeather’s 60-second plea for justice resulted in immediate and enduring personal backlash. She says that in the wings, John Wayne had to be restrained from storming the stage to physically attack her, while in the aftermath, her identity and integrity were impugned (the rumors were so abiding that in 2012, Dennis Miller mocked Elizabeth Warren by calling her “as much Indian as that stripper chick Brando sent to pick up his Oscar”). Littlefeather, who had acted in a few films before her infamous moment, says that the federal government threatened to shut down any talk shows or productions that put her on the air.

Amol Rajan's got the University Challenge gig to replace Paxman. Very good choice, imo, but Christ, the gammon reactions. It shouldn't really shock me anymore, but I find it deeply depressing. 

On 10/07/2022 at 09:29, Vive_La_Villa said:

All this MJ talk reminds me of when I was about 8 and a kid said some racist remark. Teacher got involved and whilst telling him off said that ‘a person can’t change their colour’. The kid replied ‘well Micheal Jackson did’ ! 🤦🏽‍♂️

Sorry to quote myself but didn’t anybody notice the teacher was actually being racist too. Why would somebody want to change their colour ?

edit: she wasn’t being racist, I just don’t think what she said was greatly worded.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

7 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Sorry to quote myself but didn’t anybody notice the teacher was actually being racist too. Why would somebody want to change their colour ?

Did she actually say someone wanted to change their colour though?

We consider it especially rude to attack people for something they have no control over. I presume that is the point she was attempting to make?

2 hours ago, LondonLax said:

Did she actually say someone wanted to change their colour though?

We consider it especially rude to attack people for something they have no control over. I presume that is the point she was attempting to make?

Your right, that’s the point she was making but I wouldn’t have worded it that way myself.  Almost sounds like a ‘it’s not their fault they are not white’.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I was in a meeting with an older member of staff who happens to be female, white and probably around 60 years old. She had moved dept and just started reporting directly to me. 

We were discussing some reports and she says - "like the N***** in the woods".

Complete shock from me, the first few seconds i was just confused trying to process whether she actually said that. Then i kept my facial expressions to a minimum as i didn't know what to say or do.

The other young (white) girl who was with me in the meeting actually half-fell off her chair in shock!

Thinking about it after the meeting, i don't think she was actually being racist, she must have heard the phrase (i looked it up and it's an american phrase from a long long time ago) and has been repeating that phrase for the past 40-50 years. Bloody hell, i'm surprised someone hasn't punched her or at least told her it's not acceptable.

'n****r in the woodpile'. Very common expression in general English usage (British as well as American) for much of my lifetime. Never considered in any way controversial until relatively recently. The meaning of the idiom is identical to 'fly in the ointment', i.e. the one unexpected problem in an otherwise OK plan. Since we already have the latter phrase, the non-PC one is redundant anyway, so best consigned to history. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

'n****r in the woodpile'. Very common expression in general English usage (British as well as American) for much of my lifetime. Never considered in any way controversial until relatively recently. The meaning of the idiom is identical to 'fly in the ointment', i.e. the one unexpected problem in an otherwise OK plan. Since we already have the latter phrase, the non-PC one is redundant anyway, so best consigned to history. 

The phrase is included in my 1999 edition of Brewer's Phrase & Fable, without any warning that it might be offensive.

Am I required to ritually burn the book?

On 23/09/2022 at 17:42, mjmooney said:

Â