Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, Made In Aston said:

It might only be one player, but it has the potential to totally derail our season. 

He’s so important to us in so many ways. I am gutted for us, but also for him. I know he has had mental health issues and coming from the same myself, I can’t help but worry and hope he is ok. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, The_Steve said:

The 30-year-old defender is set to miss between seven and nine months of action after undergoing surgery”.

Guardian

Hopefully, this will shut the bed wetters and their stupid "he might have played his last game for us" crap. 

Back well in time for the conference league final then 🙂

• Like 4

He has many many leadership responsibilities to busy himself with as well. Also, once he finishes playing, I wonder if he will go into coaching. Could be a good time to start taking a look at the theory aspect of that. Although with his business ventures, I’m not convinced he’d want to get into it… 

He is a player who you can be pretty certain gets this club completely.

Losing the captaincy must of been a huge blow and then make no mistake I think Gerrard would have moved him on if Tyrone hadn’t made it plain he wasn’t going anywhere. He clearly  enjoys representing our club.

Like many of us losing him in the manor we did on Saturday hurt far more than the result ever could and look forward to seeing him take his place as a natural leader in a Villa shirt as soon as possible.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Talldarkandransome said:

I don't want to disclose the details of his injury...

He has done his ACL...

That amused me too.😂

I guess there's far more details he could have shared, and I think those us that read @Deano & Dalian's Umbrella summary kind of knew it was an ACL at minimum.

We don't know that it isn't anything more,  and we don't know the severity of the ACL injury.

All the same, reading between the lines maybe we can guess from what Callum said that it is just the ACL and maybe that's as good news we could hope for.  Nice to get an update that he's feeling positive anyway

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

and we don't know the severity of the ACL injury.

Just on that bit - about 80% of ACL injuries are complete ruptures with about 20% being partial (that's just off the top of my head)

It doesn't tend to be like other ligament injuries where you rate them on a 3 grade scale (1-microscopic tearing, 2-macroscopic tearing / incomplete rupture, 3- complete rupture).

The fact that we saw the knee sublux (move out of place) and the fact that he needs surgery  both mean it is a complete rupture.

• Thanks 3

This is complete guesswork but we now have Wilson happy to say that Mings has an ACL injury but not happy to disclose (other?) details which means that Wilson is either worse than me at keeping secrets or there are additional details he isn't saying.

Combined with the official site saying it will require "lengthy rehabilitation" whereas for Buendia, it said 6-8 months which is the standard thing the physio and doctor would tell the manager for an ACL, this makes me suspect that Mings has injured additional structures which need reconstructing.

The most likely candidate would be a collection of structures known as "the posterolateral corner".

If someone has this and the ACL reconstructed together, return to play could be more like 1 year.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

57 minutes ago, lexicon said:

@Deano & Dalian's Umbrella There was a case here of a player here in Greece, Sergio Araujo, who ruptured (I believe) his PCL but managed to come back after only 111 days. How unusual is it to recover that quickly, if you don't mind me asking. 

Normally, return to play from PCL surgery is not dissimilar to the time for ACL surgery, so around 6 months plus. So that would be unusual.

For PCL injuries managed conservatively (without surgery), return to play is more like 4 months but I just googled and that player did have surgery and there are articles saying he had a "cruciate" injury but I can't find anything more than that or details of the surgery.

Given that PCL injuries often don't require surgery, I'm wondering whether the surgery he had was to deal with a lesser, associated injury like a meniscal tear and the PCL tear was left alone.

Otherwise, and I hope you don't mind me saying this as I'm part Greek myself, the crazy Greeks just let him go back too quickly and hoped for the best.

Edited by Deano & Dalian's Umbrella
  • Thanks 1

Just carrying on from the question about the player in Greeec:

I just found a (translated) article which says:

"He underwent stitches to the medial meniscus in his left knee, while it was decided to undergo an invasive procedure for the posterior cruciate ligament at the same time, with estimates – at the time – talking about his absence from the courts for 4-5 months.

On the one hand, this suggests he did have PCL surgery but on the other hand, it makes it sound like the meniscal surgery was the main procedure and then whatever was done to the  PCL was a secondary procedure, which doesn't make sense as a PCL reconstruction would be the much bigger deal.

Edited by Deano & Dalian's Umbrella
  • Like 1

Â