Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

11 hours ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

Considering the start-stop nature of his career before he arrived at VP, am I right in assuming that he has now played more games for Villa than any other club in his career? 

yep.

He played 57 times for Ipswich, As many times for Bournemouth as England - 17, 10 times for Chippenham in the Southern League and after yesterday I think that's 155 games for us including the 15 on loan in 2019.

fwiw - 1 goal for Ipswich, 8 goals for us and 2 for England

*according to wikipedia

edit - seems i was quoting league appearances there with cup and play-off games it's

Villa - 165 / Bournemouth - 23 / Ipswich - 63 / Chippenham - 13

Edited by VILLAMARV
cup games
  • Like 1

On 30/05/2023 at 09:53, Pinebro said:

Tyrone always seemed to have a mistake in him under Gerrard and Smith.

That seem to have completely gone under Unai.

Absolute rock.

I have said for a while that I think part of Tyrone's "problem" was that he got distracted worrying about what everyone else is doing and that he'd be better as the junior partner in a CB pairing - which is why I was excited about Carlos arriving.  But Emery and his team do seem to have got the whole defence better drilled so that they are all working together and Tyrone is doing less "directing" and can focus more on his own game.  With better options available for the quick pass into the CMs too - he's not having to search out a pass all the time too.

He's been brilliant in recent matches - you can see why the Liverpool players were trying to make such a big deal out of the yellow / red card issue as they couldn't get a halfpenny off him.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, allani said:

I have said for a while that I think part of Tyrone's "problem" was that he got distracted worrying about what everyone else is doing and that he'd be better as the junior partner in a CB pairing - which is why I was excited about Carlos arriving.  But Emery and his team do seem to have got the whole defence better drilled so that they are all working together and Tyrone is doing less "directing" and can focus more on his own game.  With better options available for the quick pass into the CMs too - he's not having to search out a pass all the time too.

He's been brilliant in recent matches - you can see why the Liverpool players were trying to make such a big deal out of the yellow / red card issue as they couldn't get a halfpenny off him.

Pretty sure Ty actually alluded to this when talking about what he and Emery discussed when Unai first arrived!

Agree with the point about CMs too

• Like 2

The thing that really stood out for me this season about Tyrone's game is his notably improved footwork and mobility. His height and long legs were an occasional hindrance to his mobility in past seasons, but he's much more nimble now and his positioning, ball carrying and passing have all improved, and he's much more assured and confident now. 

• Like 3

Ashley Young was our club captain last season and is leaving us with our very best wishes for his future and our thanks for being such a great influence on all around him. Tyrone Mings should now be given the title of Club Captain (imo) as he is an inspirational figure in and around Villa Park. John McGinn has earned the right to be the Captain on the pitch for his leadership by example, but I would love to see Ty get the recognition he deserves for the brilliant personal qualities that he displays on a regular basis. 

• Like 2

On 29/05/2023 at 10:06, StefanAVFC said:

Brilliant player, brilliant human and still somehow underrated by 99% of football fans.

Could agree more. 

What I would add is that I travel a lot with work and lots of fans I’ve met don’t just not rate him, but seem to really dislike him. I’ve asked why because like you I think he’s a really good man, but I never seem to get response. 

I genuinely do think there’s elements of jealousy and elements of racism. I remember people used to joke about David Beckham and say things like ‘glad he’s thick as pig shit because he was at the front of the queue for everything else’ 

Tyrone is a good looking, intelligent, confident young man that isn’t scared to air his views, especially around the BLM stuff and I think some knuckle heads simply don’t like it. There’s definitely a racist element to it imo. 

Anyway….top bloke, I hope he’s made club captain next season.

1 hour ago, villabromsgrove said:

Ashley Young was our club captain last season and is leaving us with our very best wishes for his future and our thanks for being such a great influence on all around him. Tyrone Mings should now be given the title of Club Captain (imo) as he is an inspirational figure in and around Villa Park. John McGinn has earned the right to be the Captain on the pitch for his leadership by example, but I would love to see Ty get the recognition he deserves for the brilliant personal qualities that he displays on a regular basis. 

Bizzarely I think that not being captain has helped him - it has been much easier to follow Emery's instructions of concentrate on your own game without the distraction of having any type of captaincy role.  By his nature alone he will be inspirational to other players, staff and fans and do all the kind of stuff that we all enjoy on and off the pitch.

Â